Red Wagon

GotfryedGotfryed Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hi there.
Haven't been to the forum in a long time. I don't think I ever came to the Hexagon section before.
A few months ago my computer crashed and I had to start all over. A few things I built in Hexagon are lost and I will have to rebuild them. One of them is my red wagon. I put a lot of work into it and dreaded doing it again. But yesterday I decided to get it done.

Here is my new red wagon and of course it already started a riff between Genesis (scaled to age 10) and Matt3 who is sized as a three year old. They are trying to decide which one has the right to play with it.

Every component of the wagon was created in Hexagon and then exported as .obj where they were picked up by Daz then sized and assembled and decorated. I haven't yet learned how to size things in Hexagon nor can I paint with it. I guess those things will come to me as time goes on.

Without good tutorials learning is slow. I tried cutting with the Boolean operation but couldn't get it to work. Maybe someone can explain it?
Otherwise I'm quite satisfied with Hexagon and what it can do.

Red_Wagon_01.png
1267 x 851 - 2M

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Gotfryed said:
    Hi there.
    Haven't been to the forum in a long time. I don't think I ever came to the Hexagon section before.
    A few months ago my computer crashed and I had to start all over. A few things I built in Hexagon are lost and I will have to rebuild them. One of them is my red wagon. I put a lot of work into it and dreaded doing it again. But yesterday I decided to get it done.

Here is my new red wagon and of course it already started a riff between Genesis (scaled to age 10) and Matt3 who is sized as a three year old. They are trying to decide which one has the right to play with it.

Every component of the wagon was created in Hexagon and then exported as .obj where they were picked up by Daz then sized and assembled and decorated. I haven't yet learned how to size things in Hexagon nor can I paint with it. I guess those things will come to me as time goes on.

Without good tutorials learning is slow. I tried cutting with the Boolean operation but couldn't get it to work. Maybe someone can explain it?
    Otherwise I'm quite satisfied with Hexagon and what it can do.

Boolean is not advisable with Hexagon ... esp. if going to D/S.

"in a nutshell" - one method -
    For sizing, export out an .obj of the child figure using Poser settings and then import that into Hexagon using the 1 m setting.
    Unify the groups and selecting all the shading domains, create one and export out that as a dummy .obj for use next time using the 1 m setting.
    Now with said figure in Hexagon, model whatever to the desired size for said figure.
    Delete the figure as soon as the basics are figured out to save Hexagon's precious memory.
    Save the project often. [cannot be over-emphasized]
    When all the modeling is done, apply a final uvmap and unfold it.
    Export out the .obj using the 1 m setting.
    Then in D/S import in using the Poser setting and it should be landing exactly in the same relative space as was exported out from Hexagon. [0,0,0 or thereabouts].
    Fix the materials and create the prop file.

• GotfryedGotfryed Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the tip. I'll certainly give it a try.

I'm not done with this wagon, I'll keep on tinkering with it to make it better and better. I've seen some of the other works in the gallery and I can see I have a long way to go. Not just in size and shape, but in texturing and painting too. The whole thing started here in Hexagon so I'm sure that as I learn more it can do no less than get better.

edited December 1969

Are you hoping to animate it? or only for use 'as is' for stills?

edited December 1969

I suppose it can be animated. The wheels turn, the steering works and the handle goes up and down. The real things don't have much more movement than that.

Anyway, a little improvement today. It has a new body, new front axle frame and some new decorations. Looks much better in renders.

And the boys have found a way to share equally.

Red_Wagon_02.png
    1592 x 851 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Gotfryed said:
    I suppose it can be animated. The wheels turn, the steering works and the handle goes up and down. The real things don't have much more movement than that.

Anyway, a little improvement today. It has a new body, new front axle frame and some new decorations. Looks much better in renders.

And the boys have found a way to share equally.

Okay :-) Looks like you have it working just fine then.

edited December 1969

From the ashes of a terrible crash rises another one of my Hexagon creations. I'm not good enough yet to make a decent scale model of any airplane so a toy plane was a good exercise before the crash and again today. I found out how handy duplicating and cloning can be. For instance, I built one wing then cloned it to make the other. And thanks to the tip earlier I was able to get things sized quite easily.

So, here's my airplane, and note who the brave pilot is.

Airplane.png
    1592 x 851 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Neat.

For symmetrical items, I also use the symmetry tool.

sym.png
    815 x 477 - 63K