Blender HD morphs for DAZ Studio

So I want to create some simple HD morphs in Blender using the Sculpting tool.  When I export the obj and load it in DS using the Morph Loader, the resolution is completely gone.

In Blender, I know I have to use the Multiresolution modifier in order to get good results.  But how do I get that work to translate over to DS?

In Blender, there is something called, "Save External" which saves .BTX files, but I don't know if that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks so much for the help/advice!

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,073

only PA's can do HD morphs you will need to create normal and or displacement maps based on your high and lowrez meshes, Blender can do this.

• PA's meaing Published Artists?  I didn't want to sell the HD Morphs, they are just for personal use.

And Normal/Displacement maps doesn't really fit what I'm looking to create.

PA's meaing Published Artists?  I didn't want to sell the HD Morphs, they are just for personal use.

doesn't matter only they have the special version of morphloader needed and use encryption 

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    edited January 2020

I've run smack into this problem with trying to create a character for personal use. Map baking will not work because the character has way too much HD detail needed going on with his face (spines, tentacles, etc). The only way I've been able to figure out how to work around the inability to import HD morphs is to turn his entire face into a geograft. You can create HD geografts (provided the grafting points are unaltered and still match the base mesh), but you can't create HD morphs unless you have access to the Super Sekret Morphloader. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on

yes a PA has even released a geograft face product that does this people can create their own morphs for

https://www.daz3d.com/auto-face-enhancer

https://www.daz3d.com/auto-face-enhancer-hd-with-powerpose-for-genesis-8-males

• yes a PA has even released a geograft face product that does this people can create their own morphs for

Wendy, r u serious that's a geograft? 

Checking product info I had read HD wrinkles and zero mention of geo-graft.  And re-checking now it just says HD.  And I saw the sudD, but i skimmed that product quick I never noticed back of head is still base mesh.

yes a PA has even released a geograft face product that does this people can create their own morphs for

Checking product info I had read HD wrinkles and zero mention of geo-graft.  And re-checking now it just says HD.  And I saw the sudD, but i skimmed that product quick I never noticed back of head is still base mesh.

I don't own it but yes apparently it is

we have a different solution for Carrara 

• yes a PA has even released a geograft face product that does this people can create their own morphs for

I don't own it but yes apparently it is

we have a different solution for Carrara 

Well with DAZ's 30 day return policy I can find out for sure.  Not sure I need it, as am pretty happy with what I have.  But options are always great.

Thanks alot for posting that! 

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611

The problem with this product is I believe you're stuck at SubD 2 and I use SubD 4. Unfortunately there really isn't much in the way of good documentation on it. I've been keeping track of the thread for it and it reads very confusing. 

• I know I am commenting on an older thread.  (I have no idea how to monitor threads myself so wouldn't know if any of those originally in this discussion have a way to know I commented.)  Anyways, I too am intrigued by the observation that AFE uses a graft.  I cannot say if AFE was the source or something alse was going on but I found AFE to be a real drain on my system.  And it seemed to auto load on every G8 figure once installed: maybe I had installed it incorrectly.  I am perhaps slower than most but because it has non-zero default values I found it very difficult to track down what was happening/use/isolate.  I suspect it has tons of potential that I could never figure out how to exploit: sadly it is placed in my discard pile.    ....But I do find myself wish I could make an HD morph or some other trick to create piercing indents for earrings etc. . . . 

• CyberdeneCyberdene Posts: 72

WendyLuvsCatz said:

PA's meaing Published Artists?  I didn't want to sell the HD Morphs, they are just for personal use.

doesn't matter only they have the special version of morphloader needed and use encryption 

It does so matter because we ALL buy products and still support DAZ regardless if we make stuff or not therefore they shouldn't
    be doing this with a tool that would benefit everybody that want to use it. What kind of business partice is that?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,916

Cyberdene said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

It does so matter because we ALL buy products and still support DAZ regardless if we make stuff or not therefore they shouldn't
    be doing this with a tool that would benefit everybody that want to use it. What kind of business partice is that?

The kind that favors Daz's store in the marketplace, because only Daz PAs can make HD morphs, and they can only sell them at Daz.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,561

Gordig said:

Cyberdene said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

The kind that favors Daz's store in the marketplace, because only Daz PAs can make HD morphs, and they can only sell them at Daz.

Which is how Daz makes the money that funds the development of Daz Studio.

• 4andyz4andyz Posts: 18

So lets face the reality. At Devision level 0 (at which DAZ alowes customers to make morphs with MORPH LODER PRO... ha ha) all figures look like fitureless plastic dalls. Not good.

At level 1 , which seems to be sort of basic level for DAZ to be shiping the figures, there is more details which accompained by bump and normal maps may make figures look more real...?

HD means level 2 and 3 or higher. Sculpting and morphing at those levels is realy interesting thing to do. 

I realy do not understand the logic of prohibiting users from doing morphs at higher sub div levels. To do high res morphing, one needs to be quite fluent in many 3D techniques and i do not see in which way alowing it to general public would diminish DAZ revenues??? A fiew entusiasts perhaps? But even then waht? How many people will sudenly start sculpting own characters?

I think on the contrary, people would start buing more basic chracters to develop them in difrent directions. This would bring real diversity to so called DAZ lkook. Deviant art and other places are packed with this look and it is just boring.

I strongly belive DAZ is catting itself out form the market for artistic creators, modeling enthusiasts and other profesionals.

You are running behind e.g. Metahuman and all new AI driven human modeling apps to come soon.  DAZ started long ego pioneering this technoilogy but those days are gone...

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,925
    edited July 2023

Cyberdene said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

A very normal, standard, and well-excepted practice of any business that has propitiatory things/stuff

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited July 2023

4andyz said:

snip

You are running behind e.g. Metahuman and all new AI driven human modeling apps to come soon.  DAZ started long ego pioneering this technoilogy but those days are gone...

well to be fair you can use the 3D obj exported head of a HD DAZ figure to shape a Metahuman head (for your own use and 2D renders that is)

DAZ are only limiting what you can do in DAZ studio, one can sculpt stuff in HD for most other apps

the trick I actualy use sometimes is to use a much higher density figure llike V4 and M4 I can sculpt and have the later figure wear them like clothing

one could do the same easily with Genesis 9 as it has seperate eyes, mouth etc, subdivide the mesh and export an obj and fit that to the original using the transfer utilty

you can then sculpt that skinsuit

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • 4andyz4andyz Posts: 18

WendyLuvsCatz said:

4andyz said:

snip

well to be fair you can use the 3D obj exported head of a HD DAZ figure to shape a Metahuman head (for your own use and 2D renders that is)

DAZ are only limiting what you can do in DAZ studio, one can sculpt stuff in HD for most other apps

the trick I actualy use sometimes is to use a much higher density figure llike V4 and M4 I can sculpt and have the later figure wear them like clothing

one could do the same easily with Genesis 9 as it has seperate eyes, mouth etc, subdivide the mesh and export an obj and fit that to the original using the transfer utilty

you can then sculpt that skinsuit

Interesting ideas for work around, but I find it too tidious and not satisfying. I do OBJ sculpting in Blender with multiresolution modifier, which is a very cool modifier, not even present in Zbrush. But i would like to see the unbiased results in studio. Not with extra layers, not with normal and bump maps.

I suppose DAZ is running prehistoric busines model. There must be a clever modern way to monetise HD sculpting for all customersnot only PAs. Shoul there be a resonable price and licence I would happly buy. I was thinkink about becoming PA, not for money but for artistic pleasure, but as I am not able to see my results in studio environment in advance I do not know what am I doing and what the result will be. I could perhaps qualify to become PA and get the acces, but that is not the point eithr. The point is that DAZ limits my creative freedom by keeping HD sculpting for the studio for themselvs. I do not understand this logic.

• You could in theory export a hi-res Base figure from DS into Blender and then re-import the .obj and transfer the rigging from the original figure, essentially giving you a higher res version of your DS figure that you could try to import the morph target within DS

Or you could try to export the High Res figure into Blender, add subdivision or anything else you might need then sculpt your morphs and export the whole thing as a Collada file or an FBX file along with the created shapekeys (morphs) which means if you re-import the DAE or FBX into Daz Studio you will get a figure shaped prop with morphs included which you could then try to rig using the Transfer Utility (at least as a starting point) 

Another option (the non free approach) is exporting to Blender, adding subdivisions and sculpting, then exporting the end result and use a software like Wrap3DS (not free) and project your HD morph to the Genesis (or any figure you're working with) from the High Resolution mesh so you can use Morph Loader normally

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084
    edited June 20

Still not clear on this ....

In order to use the DAZ HD utility (enhanced Morph Loader I guess) to create HD morphs, I need to be a PA, but there are workarounds (some mentioned above) to sculpt at high rez and then get those HD morphs into DAZ.

Can these workaround HD creations be sold (whether at DAZ or somewhere else), or is there a blanket ban on selling a HD Morphed character, regardless of where or how it was done, if you are not a PA?

Post edited by mcorr on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,318
    edited June 20

mcorr said:

Still not clear on this ....

In order to use the DAZ HD utility (enhanced Morph Loader II guess) to create HD morphs, I need to be a PA, but there are workarounds (some mentioned above) to sculpt at high rez and then get those HD morphs into DAZ.

Can these workaround HD creations be sold (whether at DAZ or somewhere else), or is there a blanket ban on selling HD Morphed character, regardless of where or how it was done, if you are not a PA?

No you can't... 'cause that figure of HD mesh created with the workaround of "skinsuit" or sth. is a derivative of Genesis Base figure other than a "delta morph asset" based on a Genesis figure. You can only use such a "HD figure" for yourself.

Besides, this sort of figure is just an HD mesh rather than HD morphs... Without *.dhdm files, any meshes or morphs are just fake HD from DS perspective, let alone that there're still some post-work you have to do for making such a HD Mesh really work well with no issue... e.g. transfer / fix corrective morphs, fixing flawed meshes / riggings, yada yada ~~

Post edited by crosswind on
  • mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084
    edited June 20

EDIT:

So, the Diffeomorphic solution is also just for private use then?

HD mesh and HD morphs are both only allowed if you are a PA?

Post edited by mcorr on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,561

mcorr said:

EDIT:

So, the Diffeomorphic solution is also just for private use then?

HD mesh and HD morphs are both only allowed if you are a PA?

Yes, displacement would be the only distributable option for details - and really, it would need a shader implementing vector displacement for that to be an exact match.