BTO file extension?

fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Ugg here goes.

I have purchased multiple Bryce content packs and etc. I have successfully managed to use and place everything I purchased except for a folder titled 'Trees' which is found in my presets folder and inside is approximately 100 files with the names of various trees such as Winter Pine, Autumn Ash, Autumn Fir and etc. The file extension is .BTO. I haven't been able to open these files using numerous ways of importing or adding things into Bryce.

Now in the same presets folder but in a different sub-folder called Tree Shapes is several trees that I can access using create 'tree' in Bryce and then going to edit and selecting what type of tree I wanted and etc. The file extension on these are .tps. They open fine.

I have no idea what content pack came with the BTO files or even if they are obsolete. I tried looking it up online but I get a bunch of wishy-washy websites that states its a Bryce file extension and that's about it.

I am using Bryce 7.1 pro. I have a pc that is less than a year old with plenty of ram and etc with Windows 8 (in case that makes a difference).

Also some of the content packs I downloaded and installed are for older Bryce versions but everything is working fine. It's just those darn BTOs. If I could use them I would be in hog heaven if all those trees are really usable.

Some kind sole tell me how to use BTOs (I really am hoping I can.

If they are files that need converting I don't mind doing that. I have Daz 3, Daz 4.6, Bryce 7.1 pro, Silo, Hexagon, Poser 10, 3-D coat and not sure what else.

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited April 2014

I don't consider myself one of the Bryce gurus, but I have a Trees folder with 108 BTO files. If you create a tree in Bryce by clicking on the Tree icon at the top of the Create bar, and then click on the edit "E" button next to the tree, the Tree Editor opens up and under the small thumbnail view of the tree in your scene, is a drop down list for tree "shapes". When it opens up, there's a scrollable list that will match all the BTO files you have in that folder.

That's how you choose the different type of tree shape you want.

Hope that helps.

Edited to Add: OK, I just checked the Treeshapes folder, and I saw that the files in there are of similar names, so now I'm not sure which of those folders is actually being accessed from the drop down list.

There is another list in the Tree Editor for "foliage" shapes, but I'm not sure if the BTO files are for those either. Both those lists are far less than 108, so now I'm as confused as you are. ~Sheesh~

Post edited by Miss B on
  • fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

That's how I feel.

I see there is similar and some with the exact same names but there is a whole lot more in the bto files folder than there is in the drop down lists when you are editing the tree shapes/foliage.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,538
    edited April 2014

@fictionalromance - This PDF may help: http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf. There is more Bryce related stuff on my website (see sig). Check Raytracing and Bryce Documents.

Tree parts in the different folders have the same names but different file types. You have the folders Leaves with the LPS, Trees with the BTO and Treeshapes with the TPS. There cannot be more files in those folders than the 61 already there. With the notable exception of the folder Trees with the BTO files.

Bryce Tree Objects (BTO) can be anywhere on the computer. I made myself a folder right below \Presets\Trees\ where I have my own trees (available for free on my website). Meanwhile, I do not save trees as BTOs anymore because they tend to be different each time they are loaded because of the Random setting in the Tree Lab. Rather, I save the tree in the Objects Library.

Your purchased trees are BTOs and can go wherever you'll be able to find them.

You can access the new trees by holding down the [Alt]+[Shift] keys and clicking on the tree thumbnail on the Create shelf. This opens the Open dialogue and you can navigate to the tees (BTO). To save a tree as BTO, select it, then hold down [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Shift] and click on the tree thumbnail. This opens the Save As dialogue.

Important to remember: with BTOs the material on the wood (trunk, roots, branches, twigs) is saved but the material on the foliage is not saved. When you load that tree later on, the leaves get a random material.

Post edited by Horo on
  • fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @fictionalromance - This PDF may help: http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf. There is more Bryce related stuff on my website (see sig). Check Raytracing and Bryce Documents.

You can access the new trees by holding down the [Alt]+[Shift] keys and clicking on the tree thumbnail on the Create shelf. This opens the Open dialogue and you can navigate to the tees (BTO). To save a tree as BTO, select it, then hold down [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Shift] and click on the tree thumbnail. This opens the Save As dialogue.

I have actually visited your website many times. I love it.

Thank you for telling me how to open those darn bto's. I now have 108 more trees to play with.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited April 2014

Horo said:

I have actually visited your website many times. I love it.

Thank you for telling me how to open those darn bto's. I now have 108 more trees to play with.
    Thanks from me too Horo. Until I read fictionalromance's question, I had no idea there even were all those tree-related folders, or what the BTO files were. Shows you how much digging I do in my Bryce Presets. ~rofl~

Post edited by Miss B on