Problem with True Ambiance

kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

When I try to turn on True Ambiance in the Render Options, the option is greyed out and no matter what I do I can't get it to come back. Does anybody have any suggestions I could try? This is driving me nuts!

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

You have to click on Premium (Effect Antialiasing) in the Quality Mode section above. That will turn on the Premium Effects, including True Ambience.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,538
    edited December 1969

@sithkitten - Miss B is right. Just a tip: True Ambiance (TA) renders a bit slow. While developing your scene, set the Rays per pixel low. This will give you a noisy result but it is fast and helps you tuning your scene. For the final render, set it high. Most of the time you'll need 256.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

When I try to turn on True Ambiance in the Render Options, the option is greyed out and no matter what I do I can't get it to come back. Does anybody have any suggestions I could try? This is driving me nuts!

Do check what version of Bryce you are running. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSwkqFCX0Fg

And if you want to, you will also find very many videos about TA rendering on my channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/davidbrinnen Which in turn will guide you to all manner of tutorial if you so desire. http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html

If you are running an appropriate version of Bryce, then checking the premium effects option should allow TA to become available.

This_then_that.jpg
    550 x 434 - 107K
  • kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the responses! Unfortunately, the first thing I did was turn on Premium (Effects Anti-aliasing), because I know it's necessary. All the other options became available, just not TA. I recently upgraded from XP to Windows 7. Is it possible something got broken during the re-installation process?
    @Horo: thanks, I've never tried going as high as 256.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the responses! Unfortunately, the first thing I did was turn on Premium (Effects Anti-aliasing), because I know it's necessary. All the other options became available, just not TA. I recently upgraded from XP to Windows 7. Is it possible something got broken during the re-installation process?
    @Horo: thanks, I've never tried going as high as 256.

Have you inputted your Pro serial number? Maybe Bryce thinks it is running in PLE mode?

edited December 1969

Hmm... I hadn't thought of that. I just checked, it's version 7.1.0.109. I'll go try the serial number thing right now. Thanks!

edited December 1969

Yes! That was the problem! It had the serial number for the standard edition. Thank you so much!

edited December 1969

Yes! That was the problem! It had the serial number for the standard edition. Thank you so much!

You are welcome. Glad you've got it sorted. Don't forget to check out the tutorials, TA rendering is quite involved and getting some background should save you quite a lot of head scratching and brain ache.

edited December 1969

Yes, I know. :) Those tutorials are what gave me the courage to try it in the first place! They're awesome.

edited December 1969

Yes, I know. :) Those tutorials are what gave me the courage to try it in the first place! They're awesome.

OK cool, just checking. Do let us know how you get on in the Show us your Bryce render thread!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,538
    edited April 2014

@sithkitten - If you have issues entering the Pro serial number, rename the file "Bryce70.dta" which you find in the main Bryce folder. It is a hidden file. Without that file, Bryce prompts for the serial number. If you mess things up, just rename the existing file back. If it works, delete the renamed one.

Once you've watched a couple of TA videos on David's YouTube channel (highly recommended), remember that you can find memos of some of them on my website (see sig). Go to Bryce Documents > Memos > Lighting. The memos are of no help if you haven't watched the videos but later on when you forgot just one setting it can save you a lot of time.

EDIT ah, crossposting, it seems.

Post edited by Horo on