Hide Multiple objects in one step? A parent object and all its children?

maxwellsteed2maxwellsteed2 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I am coming from Blender, and testing DAZ 3D.

How do I hide multiple selected objects at once?

Same for a parent object and its children.

I must be missing something obvious.

Usually, I select all objects and hit the hide option from the menu. I can't find it.

In Blender, if you hit Ctl and the hide eye icon at the same time, it hides all the children beneath the parent.

It seems weird to make a group for an action I am going to do once.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,461
    edited December 1969

With multiple items selected you can use the Visible button in the Parameters pane. Groups will hide their children if the group itself is hidden. I think there's at least one free script that will hide a full hierarchy, including parented props and figures, in a single step (which you could then turn into a custom action and add to a tool bar or menu).

• maxwellsteed2maxwellsteed2 Posts: 0
    edited April 2014

So in the scene panel, I can not just simply select 5 items and hide them all at once?

I can only make groups?

I mean I can select 5 items and delete them, but I can't select 5 items and hide them.

That just seems really weird. No Ctrl-H or something?

I thought for sure there was something in the Edit menu I did not see or something.

Post edited by maxwellsteed2 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

So in the scene panel, I can not just simply select 5 items and hide them all at once?

I can only make groups?

I mean I can select 5 items and delete them, but I can't select 5 items and hide them.

That just seems really weird. No Ctrl-H or something?

I thought for sure there was something in the Edit menu I did not see or something.

Select them in the Scene tab, then go to the Parameters tab to and click Visible so it changes to No.

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited December 1969

If there is a way to do a quick multi-hide, I have not found it.

And I would love to have it. Often I shoot characters with the environment props, and then JUST the characters alone. Often in postwork I will overlay them using something like the Screen modifier (with 20-30% opacity) to help the figure stand out against the background. It's a huge hassle to turn off everything BUT the foreground characters one item at a time...

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,870
    edited December 1969

As Richard said, use Groups.

Groups have many hidden or not so well known features that makes life much easier, just select what you want to put in a group and create a new group and those will be grouped inside the group.

A Group can be used to hide/show several props/figures together in one click, but what I love with them is that if you have a posed figure that is leaning or in any other pose where X/Y/Z is rotated in any way, using a group you can still easily move it X/Y/Z without having it go up/down while dragging it due to the rotation. Also dragging/moving a small setup scene is very simple.

edited April 2014

I selected three items in the Scene Panel. While keeping them selected, I went to the Parameters Panel.

In display, I clicked on Visible, and it only changed the last one leaving the other first two unchanged.

Did I miss something, because that is not how I would expect it to work.

Groups is fine, but sometimes you just want to make a quick change or peek at an idea quickly.

It is just behavior setup up by Photoshop and Illustrator that artist would expect.

Panel functions always have matching menu functions, and menu functions applied to multiple items apply.

Post edited by maxwellsteed2 on
    edited December 1969

You are running into an issue with a couple of unobvious settings. If you click the option menu button (top corner of the Parameters pane) or right-click the pane's tab I think you will find you have both Consolidate Properties and Display Separate Items checked - if you uncheck the latter, leaving Consolidate Properties on, the Visible button 9and other parameters) should affect all selected nodes.

edited December 1969

Richard Haseltine,

Yeah, that is what I am talking about.

I knew there had to be a way.

I hide and unhide multiple items in other apps like Photoshop and illustrator all day long. With Blender just the Ctrl Key.

Never would have thought to look in that menu up there.

They got settings and options all over the place in this thing.

They need to steal the Ctrl Click from Blender.

Oh, and add a lock click in the scene panel.

I bet the restrooms at DAZ3D Development have three door knobs.

• keithgkeithg Posts: 62

I found a quick cheat to hide children of a parent part. Simply make the parent part a group of itself then clicking the eye hides everything

That's what I've been using groups for since they arrived. Groups are very usable, you can hide things, and you can move things with tilted X/Y/Z along X/Y/Z in straight lines.

Your Sig - is that from Minsk?

keithg said:

Your Sig - is that from Minsk?

No, it's from Monty Python ;-)

Holy Grail I assume. We are the knights who say Ni :)

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited June 2020

Select a Genesis or one of its nodes in the Scene Tab .

Right click -> Select Children

Now from the top menu : Window -> Panes (Tab) -> Script IDE

Copy Paste the code thereafter and execute it : 

var startNode = Scene.getPrimarySelection();

if ( startNode ) {

var nodes = [ startNode ];

nodes = nodes.concat( startNode.getNodeChildren( true ) );

for ( var n = 0 ; n < nodes.length ; n++ ) {

nodes[ n ].setVisible( false );

}

}

To unhide, do the same but just changing setVisible ( false ) by setVisible ( true ).

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited June 2020

Or, as it's been said on other threads, you can also (it took me a while to figure out how to do it frown) :

Scene tab. Select multiple Nodes

Parameters tab. On the left, select all the list of nodes (Click on the first one then click+Shift on the last one in the list, or Control or/and Shit + Click for a more precise selection)

Parameters tab, On the right, you'll have "Visible" and can set it ON or OFF.

Selecting multiple items and hiding them all at once clicking on an eye icon in the Scene tab seems so much more logical... Maybe someday ?

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Hold down the control key . . . and click the visiblity icon (eye). It will hide the whole hierarchy under the selected object. 

• RichardMRichardM Posts: 45

brilliant, can we customize this shorcut?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,269

Ctrl + Click to Hide / Unhide is already a shortcut... If you don't want that "click", use the above Daz Script, create a Custom Action for it, then assign a shortcut to it in F3... but you still have to select a root node beforehand.

...customize the shortcut...

RichardM said:

Not as far as I know.

Richard Haseltine said:

RichardM said:

Not as far as I know.

thanks