Copying poses

Copy the pose in Carrara
Is there an easy way to copy a pose from one shape (say m4) and apply it to another image?

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,379
    edited May 2020
    Fenrics Pose Transfer 1.png
    2260 x 1039 - 439K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,328
    edited May 2020

I just checked to see if this works - and it does.

First of all, to transfer a pose from one figure to another only really works properly if it shares the same hierachy structure in the bones. So a M4 pose will transfer better to A4, F4, G4, H4, V4, etc.,

Carrara has a built-in pose transfer system - NLA (non-linear animation) which also includes Master Pose as well as the Master Clip for animations.

For a static pose:

1. Select the top level of the posed figure
    2. Go to the NLA tab in the properties tray
    3. Click: Create Master Pose
    4. Be sure to include everything you need transferred in the dialog that pops up
    5. Click Okay
    6. Now simply store your new NLA pose file to your browser (it's in the Clips tab, bottom of the properties tray)

Things to know: If you don't copy the file to your browser or save the scene that contains it, it will be lost when you close the scene. So if you only want to copy/paste the pose file, leave the current window open when opening the next scene. If you already copied it, you can now paste the clip file into the new scene and close the previous scene. Hope that makes sense.

I just tested to see if my V4 clips work on M4, and they do.

EDIT: They do NOT transfer well to Genesis, however. The hierachy structure is different. Generation 1 through 3 are very similar, while generation 4 is nearly the same as well, except that the feet were modeled pointing down, so the feet bones have more of an angle in pose files. Their slightly different shape also plays a factor in the pose (as the pose requires somewhat different angles being set, etc.,) so crossing generations doesn't always yield expected results. But if you don't mind a little tweak here and there, they will get you closer - except in the case of Genesis or newer, that is.

Genesis generations are not compatible with each other. Each generation changes quite a lot. Genesis 1 is the closest to earlier generations, but has a completely different hierarchy. aniBlock Importer will still load Generation 4 aniBlocks to the correct bones of Genesis because it uses the bone name instead of its location in the hierarchy.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,379
    edited May 2020

Thanks for the tip Dart !

Fenric's Pose Transfer on Dinosaurs

Fenrics Pose Transfer 2.png
    2256 x 1026 - 383K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,328

I love Fenric's Exporter! It doesn't work for Genesis or newer, but it Rocks for Generation 4 and earlier!!!