Wiping Daz and CMS

edited December 1969 in New Users

How do I wipe Daz and all files from my computer. I tried to copy files from my other computer that has Daz3 and 4 and nothing is right. Anything I download from Daz doesn't go where it should. Is there a way so the new computer look just like the old?

Tired of trying to get this to work. I submitted questions to Daz and got nothing in response.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,465
    edited December 1969

Can you access your files under the Poser Formats and DAZ Studio Formats headings in the Content Library? If not then the problem is more fundamental than the CMS.

• edited July 2012

All I get is empty folders. Nothing installs where it should. I tried all the import and dm stuff and got nothing but adding more empty content folders. Daz works great on my old system, but the new windows 7 is a mess. How can I get the new computer like the old? Been working on this for a week. Should I put 3 and 4 on the new like the old? Daz is a total mess now.

Wish there was a way for someone to fix this by remote.

Post edited by nightwing003_12639ea6d7 on
    edited December 1969

Go to Edit>Preferences>Content Library and click the Content Directory Manager. Expand the entries under Current to show the paths and take a screenshot, then post it here. Where are the installers placing your content?

• edited December 1969

I'll do that as soon as I get home tonight from work. Content doesn't show up anywhere. If I'm lucky I get an empty folder.

• edited December 1969

Here is my Daz mess.

pic.jpg
    517 x 507 - 192K
    edited December 1969

The DAZ Studio paths look OK, but you have a lot of nested paths under Poser Formats which may well be causing problems - remove all the sub folders of C:\Users\Don\Docuemnts\DAZ 3D\Studio3\Content, and any sub folders of the My Library folder that may be on the list, and merge the contents of those folders on disc with C:\Users\Don\Docuemnts\DAZ 3D\Studio3\Content, (that is, go to C:\Users\Don\Docuemnts\DAZ 3D\Studio3\Content\SunnyV4, select all, cut, go to C:\Users\Don\Docuemnts\DAZ 3D\Studio3\Content, paste, say yes to merge folders).

• edited December 1969

I'll try that as soon as I get home. When I loaded those files I merged them with the content folder. I was told it would make my new computer like the old. This is what I got for doing that. I have files on the old I want on the new but found a lot for free. Thanks for helping me try to fix this.

• edited July 2012

I did it and got the same result. Merged the folder and everything. I copied the files from content on the old computer. Tranfered them by DVD into a content folder (made on desktop) on the new. The content folder is just too big on the old, so I built one on the new desktop. Then merged the 2 content folders in Daz in My Documents. Same result. Nothing is where it should be and I have a lot of empty folders.

Should I wipe and start from scratch. Do each file manually? Not sure how to do that.

edited December 1969

Could you post screenshots showing the top levels of your content folders, and your Content Library pane?

• edited December 1969

Is that the same step just up on the pic?

edited December 1969

No, that shows the content directory list - I want to see the folders on the disc, and how they are showing in the Content Library

• edited December 1969

Gotcha, pic of files on hard drive. Not sure how to take pic of content library.

edited December 1969

If that's Windows 7, use the Snipping tool.

• edited July 2012

Not sure how to show the content library.

pic2.jpg
    883 x 590 - 238K
    edited December 1969

OK, that looks a bit suspicious. What's in the Barbee V4 1 folder, or the A4 Kaso Bundle folder? I suspect you have an extra layer of folders that is effectively blocking DS from seeing the Poser content.

• edited December 1969

In the Barbee V4 1 folder is a readme and runtime folder. Sorry have to post with my phone. My new computer won't let me post directly. Thee pic shows the files I took from old comp and after merging with content folder on the new comp.

edited December 1969

OK, that's what I thought. The Readme's and the Runtime (and the Data, when there is one) folders should all be in the root directory - The My Library or Content folder - not in a sub-folder. Assuming all of the folders with product names are like that you need to go through merging their contents into the root folder itself, so that you end up with a single unified Runtime folder.

• edited December 1969

So If I get what your saying, I need to go into the file and merge whatever is inside (runtime/data/shaders) with its corresponding folder in content/My Library. But what about obj or jpg/bitmap (preview pic) files? Then Daz will see the contents.

edited December 1969

If a folder contains only an OBJ file then it isn't in Poser or DS format anyway - an OBJ would appear in Import Formats, if you added your Content folder to that list, as long as it wasn't ine one of the special folder (Runtime, Readme's and Data) so you can leave those where they are. But stuff that is in Poser or DS formats shouldn't be installed, have it's special folders placed in, a sub-folder of your content directory. Things like preview images and readmes you can place where you like - I tend to put them in with the content files, to keep everything together (and because many don't have helpful names) but you could also put them in the ReadMe's folder if you wanted.

• edited December 1969

I wiped my system to give me a clean start. Should I install Daz3 and 4 then start the file merging or just one or the other? I've heard there have been problems with Daz4 64 bit. I don't do animation.
    Thanks for all your help. I feel like I have an idea whats going on now.

edited December 1969

You can do it in any order - installing DS won't affect added content.

• edited July 2012

Rich, I hate to be a pain. In the content the folders should just be aniBlocks, Tutorials, People, Readme's, Runtime, Shadow presets, " scenes, Shaders, Uninstallers. My Library should be about the same. (Didn't install 4 yet). But only those folders, right? Looking on the old comp the files are a mess too. Not sure how it managed to run.
    Should a metadata file install to content folder?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Rich, I hate to be a pain. In the content the folders should just be aniBlocks, Tutorials, People, Readme's, Runtime, Shadow presets, " scenes, Shaders, Uninstallers. My Library should be about the same. (Didn't install 4 yet). But only those folders, right? Looking on the old comp the files are a mess too. Not sure how it managed to run.
    Should a metadata file install to content folder?

The only "special" folders inside a DS-format content folder (default Content for DS3 and My Library for DS4) are Data , Runtime, and ReadMe's. Aside from those three the folders can be called anything. Some typical folders aside from the ones you mentioned are Lights, Hair, Animals, Dynamic Clothing, Environments, Materials, Poses, Props, Scripts, and Vehicles.

Metadata is installed like any other content -- the install path is the root of the content folder (e.g. My Library); it ends up in Runtime:Support.

• edited December 1969

Thanks Rich and everyone. I merged the old files with the new. My new computer is like my old now. I even found more content that was put in the wrong spot.
    Thanks again all.

edited December 1969

Glad to have helped.