Looking for feedback

flashbackflashback Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I have just submitted an entry into a contest at DSA and I would like to get some feedback from the community.
The original render may be found in my thread here in the Art Studio forum. (Random Echoes pg3)
The post worked image may be found here: http://www.dreamslayerartworks.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1580&title=andoria-falls&cat=538
My question is this: Do you think this image is over-postworked? Did I go overboard?
(I'm not trolling for votes here, just a little feedback.)

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Comments

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

I don't think so.. it has a nice painterly quality.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I like it lot's Flashback. Looks kind of old time movie poster to me. Perfect for a Invasion movie.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited December 1969

Well, I guess it depends on one's personal preferences, and on your (the artist's) intentions. Objectively, I'd say no, it's not overdone: it has a slick, stylish quality, similar to a comic book or blockbuster film, and a certain integrity. Subjectively, yes, it may be a bit much: I'd probably prefer a somewhat more subdued colors and a moodier, even menacing atmosphere. It definitely scores highly on the "wow" factor, but for me it doesn't have much of an emotional impact beyond awe. Any way you look at it, though, it's an impressive piece! :) Good luck in the contest.

• Sid_1500574Sid_1500574 Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

It's a nice picture, some good lighting effects on there, but I would also agree with the less is more philosophy. Maybe losing the big explosion just above the guy's head would create a bit more texture in the overall picture. Good work though.

• flashbackflashback Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments, it's food for thought on the next image.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

I'll add a vote to the less is more camp, it's too 'busy' for my preferences. 4 UFOs, 5 explosions, multiple energy bolts - each one draws attention away from the main figure. There's a double issue with the explosion backlighting the main figure's wings. I think you need a light source there to let them show against the dark building behind, but the bright explosion is simultaneously washing out their detail. I'd look at composition, not post-work (which I don't see a problem with).