Clicking Full Screen Icon Locked Up Carrara

Carrara 8.5.1 Pro Build 19 (64 Bit) on Windows 10 won't open after I clicked the "Full Screen" icon in the upper right corner.

In the attached screengrab, you can see a fuzzy yellow oval object that looks like it may be zoomed in on. And, "Did you know?" of the quick tips appears above the 8.5 in the window as if the program is trying to open but the screen went directly to this as soon as I clicked the Full Screen icon. At one point in this process, I clicked in the window and a half opaque Tip appeared. I clicked again and another appeared over top of the first. I was able to click and drag the Tip window to the side buy it locked up and never fully faded in.

I tried hitting ESC to see if I could back out of this screen with no luck.

I tried ALT + F11 as sometimes works with some browsers with no luck.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, again no luck.

I emailed DAZ Tech Support and waiting for a response.

Has anyone run into and fixed this?

Thanks.

Screen Locked After Clicking Full Screen.png
3300 x 942 - 540K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,056

admittedly I have neither tried 8.1 or full screen on 2 monitors in Win10 and kind of not game to after that surprise

what happens rightclick run in compatibility mode?

it never loads so maybe it is obscuring a dialogue window, possibly a serial number one for a plugin

can you click the windows button to bring up the taskbar and mouse over it

what happens if you unplug a monitor, does it resize to one monitor 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,129

Sorry you are suffering another mystery.  

Carrara 8.5 Pro starts fine for me and expands to full screen fine.

I am on Windows 10.  My Carrara 8.5 Pro is whichever is the 2013-08-26 version, product page linked below.

Product Name: Carrara 8.5 Pro, Product ID: 16777, Published Artist(s): Daz Originals, Created By: N/A, Release Date: 2013-08-26, Windows 64 bit

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/16777/start

Have you had any operating system updates or driver updates recently?  

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,971
    edited August 2020

What screen resolution is your W10 set for?  (Height / Width in Display)  1080 etc  and what size is your monitor? frown Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on

I will try and install 8.1 later today as it is easier to weightpaint in it not having triax (otherwise missing too many features of 8.5)  but I hope it doesn't mess up my preferences for 8.5 if it does that behaviour like my beta and release builds do for each other.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,129

The OP says installed 8.5.1, not 8.1

edited August 2020
    Diomede said:

The OP says installed 8.5.1, not 8.1

oh misread that entirely blush

yeah eliminates that variable at least yes

I don't generally use the lower fullscreen option (there are two)even with it on one monitor as it dominates and hard to get out of on Win7 too.

uninstalling you need to find the baggage file ( or don't uninstall find the baggage file) in application data that dictates your preferences

C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Carrara 8.5

and delete or edit it

Twinmotion and a few other programs I use have those separate inhouse windows resizers same issue

Capture.JPG
    1006 x 625 - 158K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HeavyDHeavyD Posts: 63

I wish I could open my Carrara window to compare my icons with the ones you circled. I think it is the same one and I have never clicked it until now. And I only did it because I was curious if it opened a preview view with no tools surrounding the work panel.

Everything was functioning fine as I worked on building a model from scratch.

I am able to open other programs and browsers, and this page to read and reply to responses.

I looked for the baggage file but couldn't find it in the path on my PC that most closely matches the path you provided. Is baggage the name of the file and is there an extension I could search for?

edited August 2020
    HeavyD said:

I wish I could open my Carrara window to compare my icons with the ones you circled. I think it is the same one and I have never clicked it until now. And I only did it because I was curious if it opened a preview view with no tools surrounding the work panel.

Everything was functioning fine as I worked on building a model from scratch.

I am able to open other programs and browsers, and this page to read and reply to responses.

I looked for the baggage file but couldn't find it in the path on my PC that most closely matches the path you provided. Is baggage the name of the file and is there an extension I could search for?

no its your preferences files

I was refering to baggage as stuff left behind after uninstalling programsblush

Sorry to take your suggestion so literally. I don't know how to find the preferences baggage left behind after the program is uninstalled.

I just used Install Manager to uninstall Carrara and I did a search on my entire PC for anything named Carrara. As I am sure you can imagine, all kinds of files came up in the results. Should I be looking for a particular file type to delete?

I found:

Carrara_8.0.1.31_Win64.exe file from 7/14/2010

Carrara_8.1.1.12_Win64.exe file from 9/11/2011

Carrara_8.1.1.12_Win64-1.exe file from 9/6/2013

Carrara_8.5.0.243_Win64.exe file from 4/10/2014

and some others (Don't want to take up too much space with a list)

Maybe an older version doesn't have the same bug? Or it might pick up the same problem from the baggage that doesn't get deleted?

edited August 2020

you have show hidden folders enabled? and file extensions

the address I posted is where they should be

C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Carrara 8.5 its not an url link, I accidently did that

Capture.JPG
    868 x 380 - 51K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,328

Like she said earlier, it's in your main drive (C), then Users > User (Your User Name) > AppData > Roaming > DAZ 3D

I've never seen anything like this before though. I'm wondering if you might have run something from Graphics Card utilities - something that blows up the screen to view it better(?)... I don't know. 

To help clarify, the stuff in the AppData location remains intact upon uninstall so that the software recognized that you're licensed without having to provide your S/N when re-installing. It also holds your preferrences settings. 

Deleting the entire Carrara 8.5 folder from AppData > Roaming > DAZ 3D is like a full blanket reset to the software, s when installed again, it's like the first time and you need to paste in your S/N - should work as expected, and then just set up preferrences to your liking, trying to avoid that thing that caused your workspace issues.

Thank you for the input.

Since other programs are running fine I'm leaning towards the problem not being with the Graphics card.

I found the CurrentNews and LatestNews folders but I don't think the two text files were with them as in your screenshot. I will double-check.

Do I just delete the two text files, and restart my PC?

I guess I will need to reload the Runtimes for Content and all, too, yes?

I just found the two text files just as they are in your screenshot.

yes clean slate you shouldn't have to uninstall Carrara

I seem to be up and running again, for the most part. Thanks for the input because I would never have gotten it done by myself.

I haven't fully evaluated everything yet but the content is there and My Objects are there but the Shaders are not. Any tips on how to restore/reload them?

I had already uninstalled Carrara before you said I shouldn't have to but it turned out not to be a big deal. I deleted the preference files and re-installed Carrara. I did not have to input my serial number. Carrara opened and I was able to open the model I was working on when this happened. So glad the work on that model wasn't lost.

Two thoughts based on this experience: This forum is the BEST! And, NEVER click on the Toggle Full Screen Mode button!

you will just need to browse to and add them 

my preferences kept getting reset so know too well how tedious that is

HeavyD said:

Two thoughts based on this experience: This forum is the BEST! And, NEVER click on the Toggle Full Screen Mode button!

laugh Got it!!! 

Glad you're up and running!

Using DIM to uninistall/install the Carrara 8 and 8.5 Native Content should also get your shaders back - at least the ones that come with Carrara.