For those interested, my son NeilV is now a BSc.

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited July 2014 in Bryce Discussion

I am a very proud Mum

Neil has just received his finals results and attained his BSc with 2nd class honours grade 1

This is high enough for him to qualify to now go on to work for his Masters.

Thankyou to those who helped by doing graphics for him for a couple of his projects, especially David Brinnen whose graphic was used on his final Paper (and one on another paper)

For those of you who don't know, Neil is Dyslexic, and did the University course as a mature student. He hopes to teach other adults in a similar position to him once he gets his Masters, as he feels that someone who has been there, done that is in a better position to help others who have similar problems.

Thesis.jpg
1200 x 900 - 345K
Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,061
    edited December 1969

congrats Neil, wishing you the best in your future endeavours!

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Way to go Neil.......Great work.....Trish

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited July 2014

Fair dues, and it looks like he achieved it from Dublin City University.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

YA! very happy for your family, this will change many futures.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Great news, congratulations Neil.

Best wishes Pam as well.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2014

Jamahoney said:
    Fair dues, and it looks like he achieved it from Dublin City University.

Jay

Yup He lives in Co. Dublin so DCU was great for him as he could travel in, as well as being one of the best Unis in Ireland.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Wow so cool to finally get at the end with those grades....it's been a while Neil but so worth it. From one Dyslexic to another well done mate. I can see why our cho is a proud mum....man even I feel proud for you both. Top stuff.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,876
    edited December 1969

Great Chohole!! That's the way to be a proud mum!!!!

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited July 2014

Congratulations, Neil! :cheese:

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,405
    edited December 1969

Congrats Neil :)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,538
    edited December 1969

Great news, Pam. Thanks for letting us know. Most of the praise goes to Neil: Great accomplishment!

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,971
    edited December 1969

Great stuff! When he recovers from his celebratory hangover please pass on my congratulations to him :)

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Well done Neil and good luck with the Masters!

As someone who got sent to the headmasters on a weekly basis to explain his poor performance in the Friday spelling test, I can say I have being dyslexic to thank for being self-employed. Education has certainly come a long way since those days. Which begs the question, who says that it was dyslexia that prevented me from becoming educated and otherwise employable? I guess it is impossible to know. But in the end, I decided that in the absence of qualifications, I would employ myself and overlook my poor education.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Congratulations Neil.

Nice to have a clever son, Chohole isn't it?

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

One of the great things nowadays, is that you can get university degrees as mature student - gives the opportunity for those who never went to uni when they were younger, and also that you can do them part-time (I got my degree that way). Well done to him:)

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Great to hear, Pam. Congratulations to Neil.

• MaXieMaXie Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Congratulations Neil !

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Congrats Chohole and especially to your son Neil. One of life's greatest pleasures is to see our children do well in life. Best Wishes to him as he continues on with his education..

Bruce

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Congrats Neil and all the best for your future studies. Congrats to you too, Chohole, your support was very important Neil.

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

Congrats to your son and your family!

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

That's awesome!!! ....congratulations :)

edited July 2014

He has just said that his final class placement put him at 24th in an input of 75, which is not bad for someone who was also the oldest in the class (my youngest grandaughter, his younger daughter, is now 14 - to give you an idea.)

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

I'm late to the party again! Congratulation to your family Chohole, and especially to your son! He must be really happy right now that he not only survived but indeed managed to thrive while surrounded by younger people. Wishing him the best always!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited July 2014

chohole said:
    He has just said that his final class placement put him at 24th in an input of 75, which is not bad for someone who was also the oldest in the class (my youngest grandaughter, his younger daughter, is now 14 - to give you an idea.)

I had absolutely no idea Neil was dyslexic. Congrats to him in attaining his degree. He must be thrilled, and you Pam must be proud as all get out. :coolsmile:

I went back for my second degree (never really cared much about the first one) at the age of 46, and it took me 6 years part time (I had a full time job) to finish, so graduated at the age of 52. Nineteen years later, and I'm STILL taking the occasional online class when I find one of interest.

Post edited by Miss B on
  • mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Being a mature student has its benefits... As my mother always used to say.."Education is wasted on the young>"
    Steve

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited December 1969

Congrats to Neil! And quite right of you to be proud. (Though you would probably be proud of your son anyway).

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

mtnmen said:
    Being a mature student has its benefits... As my mother always used to say.."Education is wasted on the young>"
    Steve

I agree, as I know I didn't really have much "interest" in school the first time around. The second time, I was very interested, and did very well. I think adults who take classes, for whatever reasons, are more attuned to learning, rather than just taking the classes because they have to, or because their parents want them to.
    edited December 1969

I tend to agree, I enjoyed school, and stayed on til 18 to do "A" level, but did refuse to go to Uni for various reasons. When I started taking Management courses much later in life I was sure I would fail miserably as everyone else on the courses was so much younger than me, but I actually ended up with better results than most of them, and on one course I got the highest score that anyone had ever had on the course up till that time, 95%.