[Released] Bette for Genesis 8 Female (I'm back!) [Commercial}

j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
edited September 2020 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Its Live!

I'm back with a product after a looooooooooooooooong hiatus. 

I've made toony morphs going back to Genesis 2 (though back then it was mostly morph dialing) But finally I did a complete version with things like textures and JCMs (lots of JCMs)

Introducing Bette!

Inspired by some classic and modern cartoon ladies as well as some classic 20s and 30s actresses. Hopefully she can fill your toon needs from Pinup to Fairytale to Modern. 

I generally hate advertise-y writeups and am pretty terrible at them - so I'll focus on some fun stuff that might not be completely evident from the promos

There is a mysterious icon/dial called "Bette Cleavage Fixer" If you dial it in on an unclothed figure you might be confused when nothing happens. This is an optional projection morph that will popagate on clothing as a fairly stylized morph The autofollow morphs generated on clothing have some nasty distortion the cleavage fixer morph will--- fix this. you won't want it on tight fitting clothing (things like bras) but for anything loose It will definitely help It was used in all the promos where she wasn't in a bikini. None of the clothing in the promos have custom fits - its all the fixer morph + some smoothing.

I've included some nice MCMs:

I wanted to make sure she could easily me morphed into different styles so If you dial "Upper Eyelid Height" "Eyelids Fold Down" "Lips Thin" "Breasts Small", "Breasts Gone", "Hips Size" or "Glutes Size" from the main DAZ Morph sets there are some nice custom morphs that will also dial in under the hood to make these morphs work better. My goal was a character that could easily blend between Tex Avery, Fleischer Studios, and Disney-esque (though I dont think she hits quite the degree of stickbug with googly eyes that is modern disney). She's very easy to de-pinup (or make even more pinup-y if thats your thing)

She also has plenty of JCMs I'm particularly proud of the ones on her knees I realized. I didnt actually ever get around to a promo that actually demontsrated this so made a really quick crappy one just for this thread 

Maybe its just me who gets excited when cg thighs and calves interact with mimimal intersection and as much volume preservation as possible but this makes me happy

edit:

Also the Toon eyelashes, Toon eyebrows and, Natural Brows include some extra morphs controling size and thickness

I'm not going to reinclude all the promos here since they're right on the page in the store but I am going to reinclude this one, because I really like it

Now some of you might be thinking "she seems kind of lonely" and while Bette does want me to mention that thats a little heteronormative, Her male counterpart is absolutely on the way! He would have been here sooner but well... I'm not saying it was sabotage but Bette does need to explain why I have this photo in which she appears to be sticking her leg out right as he trips

(if you think this is dumb its got nothing on this one)

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited September 2020

dForce H&C Open Back Dress for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Anastasia Heel for Genesis 8 Female(s)

This Microphone - with some editing + the stand made by me 

Karly Bikini Outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s) (the sunglasses)

Cady Hair for Genesis 3 & 8 Female(s)

MEGA Wardrobe 2 for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Classic Bikini for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Sweater Shaders Merchant Resources

Custom SBH 

Reyna Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s)

and 

Sheridan Hair

frankensteined together

Creme Brulee for Star!

Gangster Outfit for Genesis 3 Female

Deco Mirror Set

Modernistic 1

Adeline Hair and Circlets for Genesis 8 Female(s)

dForce Gown of Fantasy 1 for Genesis 8 Female(s) (with custom textures by me)

Winterblack Tower (also with some custom textures but mostly just no textures whatsoever)

Code Squad 01 for Genesis 8 Female(s)

The Hexagon

More custom SBH - seriously everyone should be experimenting with SBH - its great and I love it

Cutie Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)

dForce Beth Holiday Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Miranda's Ice Cream Parlor

Blair Hair for Genesis 8 Male(s) and Female(s)

dForce Cherry Blossom Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s) + its textures

dForce Skate Punk with Skateboard for Genesis 8 Female(s) +its textures

Urban Future 6

Jocelyn Hair for Genesis 3 & 8 Female(s)

Evelyn Hair for Genesis 3 & 8 Female(s)

dForce Darcy 8 Hair for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Blair Hair for Genesis 8 Male(s) and Female(s)

Stella Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)

Classic Bikini for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Bandeau Twist Bikini for Genesis 8 Female(s)

edit I also used Together: Brotherhood Poses for Genesis 8 Male(s) as a base to start posing from Eva and Darcy in particular are only slightly modified

Each character used a makeup from the character I was borrowing from - so the character that used the Eva morph used one of Eva's makeups applied on the Bette skin - the only exception being Darcy who used Darcy's diffuse texture as well - but still used the bump etc from Bette. This had more to do with conserving resources. I'm pretty sure this scene ended up only using 4gb of memory on my gpu

Also If anyone can't tell I'm a big fan of Aprilysh hairs

.... And now I go to sleep

Post edited by j cade on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Welcome back! Bette looks awesome!smiley

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,304

Bette is my new favorite character. I adore her - you really did such a great job on her. :D

It's good to see you back as a PA! laugh

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

Looks really nice, and I think you did a great job of Promo-ing it here!

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

So I dropped something from my basket to include Bette, thanks for your write up! Looks like you're good after all  smiley

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,017
    I passed right over her on the store page. I didn't even bother to look and see who made her. I thought "I don't need any more female characters". I just bought Toon Generations 4 Mega Bundle. I thought "I don't need any more toons". Ha! I was stupid! She is in my cart. The promo with the character combinations sold me, along with your write up here, and your reputation. Welcome back to the store. You were missed. you know.it was also nice to see you back in the forums recently.
  • She looks wonderful, and her face really takes expressions fantasticly!

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471

Nice work!  I am liking the materials!  cheeky

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,916

At first glance, I thought it was a new Joe Quick character, but it really has a different - if you'll pardon the term - character to it that I like.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281
    edited September 2020

Looking forward to seeing how she converts to 3DL. I suspect I may be using her materials a lot if they make the shift well.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344

It was the first item today, that catch my eye - thanks for releasing her here.

Could you please recommend a light setup, that works well with her.

edited September 2020

Here is my first Bette render. I look forward to many more and some character mixes, too.

Bette Mech.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Oh I bought it & I already found & used that cleavage morph.

I was just thinking I could use a his & hers stylized set of toon characters that was different than what I already have; which is already almost everything in the DAZ Store but none of it was 'quite completely there' for all I wanted. This is a big step in the right direction. 

I'm very happy with this product.

Great work and your fastidious work ethic shines through in the promo art.

barbult said:
    I passed right over her on the store page. I didn't even bother to look and see who made her. I thought "I don't need any more female characters". I just bought Toon Generations 4 Mega Bundle. I thought "I don't need any more toons". Ha! I was stupid! She is in my cart. The promo with the character combinations sold me, along with your write up here, and your reputation. Welcome back to the store. You were missed. you know.it was also nice to see you back in the forums recently.

I'm quite proud of that one, its possibly the most complex thing I've ever set up, as it turns out posing 5 characters so they all interact is pretty involved.

Also its good to be back! I didn't mean to disappear, just got a really soul-sucking job,

JOdel said:

Looking forward to seeing how she converts to 3DL. I suspect I may be using her materials a lot if they make the shift well.

Ooh I want to see that too! I did feel a bit guilty about no 3delight materials - but I haven't used it in years and had zero faith in myself to turn out something I would consider acceptable. Lots of folk do great stuff with 3delight - I am not one of them. As long as you're using a shader that can do roughness rather than glossiness or specular strength you should be fine - I wanted to keep the maps simple There are only Base Color, Roughness, and Bump maps + the makeup overlays 

edited September 2020
    Artini said:

Could you please recommend a light setup, that works well with her.

If you watch a Disney Pixar, Dreamworks ect movie and pay attention to the lighting you'll notice an almost complete lack of hard shadows especially on characters. So the general rule to follow is soft lighting

Photo based HDRIs, for instance, can look real weird. look at this 

There's nothing wrong with the character or lighting but they do not match in a very jarring way

similarly small strong light sources will, again, cast sharp shadows and look janky - spotlights and point lights without any added geometry or very small geomety have the same problems as Photo Based HDRI

heres bette lit with a single spot light 

again not technically wrong, but stylistically dissonant and unappealing

Heres that same spotlight but in the parameters tab I sett "geometry" to circle the diameter to 70 and bumped up the strength

This is pretty close to the lighting in most of my promos. I used a neutral environment (the sun-sky with the "SS Sun Disk Intensity" turned to 0 in its settings) and then 4 big spotlights stuck right next to eachother to look vaguely like a window

In terms of product recomendations I don't own that many light products as I mostly set up my own but I do own a couple of the dimention theory iRadiance light probes and they work quite well

But again any lighting you own that isnt photo hdri or has promos with strong shadows on the face should work

Also in render settings I always set "burn highlights" and "crush blacks" to zero or near zero. I do this for everything, because I just straight up don't like them, but they are settings that add contrast which goes against our principle of soft lighting. so that is highly recommended.

bette bad lighting.jpg
    500 x 650 - 215K
    bette bad lighting2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 162K
    bette bad lighting2fixed.jpg
    500 x 650 - 166K
    bette nice lighting.jpg
    500 x 650 - 156K
    Post edited by j cade on

Thanks a lot for the tips about lights, j.cade, much appreciated.

edited September 2020

There is a lot of fun with mixing her with the other characters.

Below is my try with Edie 8 and Eleia added to 50% of Bette.

Bette04pic03.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 164K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited August 2021

Bette surprised in the bath

Bette Bathtub_002_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,149

Nice work @Barbult  May I ask what you used for the bubbles?

The bubble props were from Woodman Bathroom, where the tub came from. I applied shaders from Foam Party.
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,149

Ah thank you.