Vascularity HD for G1, G2 Male & Female (Now Available)

Comments

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,438
    edited December 1969

That's weird.
    I cleared the cache, did a DIM install first, then uninstalled and reinstalled manually...
    I'm On Windows 7 64bits

I sent a support ticket. I hope they have an answer. It's really weird.

• duraluminduralumin Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    duralumin said:
    Thanks for looking into this Zev0. I updated to the most current version of D Studio in early July. I'm sure it is something I'm doing, just can't figure out what. Trying to apply the morphs to Genesis 1 figures, I also double-checked that I installed the correct version of the morphs. Again, thanks for trying to problem solve so quickly in your previous posts.

NP. They should appear if you go to the figures subdivision level and set it to 2 or 3 (if you change limit to 3). If it's still not showing, make sure Resolution level is set to high resolution and not Base. I think that could also be the problem. Mine is always set to High resolution.

Thanks again Zev0, but like Hellboy, still no luck on my end. I'm working in 32 bit, dialed the Sub D to 2 (as high as I can go in my version of D Studio) and made sure the res was high (already set to high). When trying to apply the morphs you can see them trying to take shape, but they are very undefined and amorphous. Maybe I'm expecting too much in 32 bit? Either way, thanks again for responding so quickly to our queries.

• gbmorphsgbmorphs Posts: 33
    edited August 2014

I am in the same boat. Doesn't show up on any of my figures. Did a DIM install. The A manual install.

Post edited by gbmorphs on
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,438
    edited December 1969

It's working now. It seems my problem was in the installation path. My default one is:

/ My Library / Data-People-Runtime…

While, the zip includes this path:

/ Content/ Data-People-Runtime…

My default DIM path is Studio / My Library / and everything always worked but I have no content folder in there.
    Not related to the product, but should I port everything to a Content folder? I’m a bit confused at what happened.

edited August 2014

Thanks for the heads-up on this Hellboy - but still nothing but frustration on my end. Hope I can figure this out. :/

Post edited by duralumin on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,899
    edited December 1969

Has anyone tried manually dropping the Data folder in place?

edited December 1969

Not sure how the best way to do that is. Everything I've downloaded has worked fine, with the exception of the download today of this set of vascularity morphs. To experiment, I uninstalled some of the other morphs I've been using, re-installed them, and they work fine. All except the vascular morphs. I really do appreciate all of the help, but at this point I think I need to get away from the computer, lol.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited August 2014

Hellboy said:
    My default DIM path is Studio / My Library / and everything always worked but I have no content folder in there.
    Not related to the product, but should I port everything to a Content folder? I’m a bit confused at what happened.

No need to — this is something that catches out a lot of people. "The Content folder" doesn't mean "the folder named Content", it's "the folder set up in D|S as containing content files". As long as the D|S Content Directory Manager settings match the name and path of the folder that's actually there on your computer, it doesn't matter what name you give to the folder.
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited December 1969

I bought it today, having not read this thread - and it works great! Amazing product Zev0. I always manually install. Bugger the DIM. *throws knives*

Now you just need to whip up some quick vein diffuse maps so we can get some colour into them. :p

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,065
    edited December 1969

Saiyaness said:
    I bought it today, having not read this thread - and it works great! Amazing product Zev0. I always manually install. Bugger the DIM. *throws knives*

Now you just need to whip up some quick vein diffuse maps so we can get some colour into them. :p

There are so many UV sets to support these day and for this reason I decided just to leave that part out for now and just focus on the HD morphs because that at least I know works with any one of them:)

edited August 2014

duralumin said:
    Zev0 said:
    duralumin said:
    Thanks for looking into this Zev0. I updated to the most current version of D Studio in early July. I'm sure it is something I'm doing, just can't figure out what. Trying to apply the morphs to Genesis 1 figures, I also double-checked that I installed the correct version of the morphs. Again, thanks for trying to problem solve so quickly in your previous posts.

NP. They should appear if you go to the figures subdivision level and set it to 2 or 3 (if you change limit to 3). If it's still not showing, make sure Resolution level is set to high resolution and not Base. I think that could also be the problem. Mine is always set to High resolution.

Thanks again Zev0, but like Hellboy, still no luck on my end. I'm working in 32 bit, dialed the Sub D to 2 (as high as I can go in my version of D Studio) and made sure the res was high (already set to high). When trying to apply the morphs you can see them trying to take shape, but they are very undefined and amorphous. Maybe I'm expecting too much in 32 bit? Either way, thanks again for responding so quickly to our queries.

I don't think HD is 32-bit compatable. Think it''s designed for 64-bit.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    It's working now. It seems my problem was in the installation path. My default one is:

/ My Library / Data-People-Runtime…

While, the zip includes this path:

/ Content/ Data-People-Runtime…

Cool!. glad you are sorted:)

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,405
    edited December 1969

Just a quick & dirty render on G1, all vein morphs dialed to their maximums. I used Hercules from Freak 5 Swole. I think these morphs are going to come in real handy. Great work, Zev0!

G1_Vasuclarity_Test_001.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 606K
    edited August 2014

Zev0 said:
    duralumin said:
    Zev0 said:
    duralumin said:

I don't think HD is 32-bit compatable. Think it''s designed for 64-bit.

Wellp guys, looks like I'll be using something else with my dinosaur system, lol. Shame, but just the way it goes. Great set of morphs BTW!

Post edited by duralumin on
  • SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited December 1969

I figured that, about the UV's and all. I was half-joking. :p

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited August 2014

Zev0 said:
    Saiyaness said:

There are so many UV sets to support these day and for this reason I decided just to leave that part out for now and just focus on the HD morphs because that at least I know works with any one of them:)
    First of all, great product :) One of the typical "must buy" scenarios :)

One thing that may help with this whole UV mapping 'goodness' that gets thrown at us are potentially geometry shells. Not sure if vascular diffuse maps are that suitable for being made as direct overlay via a shell, but I use geometry shells frequently for all sorts of things like tattoos, wet maps, etc. And the shell surfaces can have different UVs than the base figure surfaces.

Post edited by Renpatsu on
  • RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,041
    edited December 1969

These are wonderful products in terms of the effect they produce, but I was wondering if there is any reason why they should be bringing render times to a crawl. I am doing test renders on my first piece since using them, and even after turning off hair, my render times are exponentially (and impractically) longer. Is there a way to "turn off" the effect temporarily without dialing everything down? As much as I like these products, I doubt I;ll be able to use them unless I can find a workaround.

Thank you for any assistance!

edited December 1969

What skin shader are you using? I discovered that the new SSS shader combinbed with HD morphs (Any) produces very long render times. My HD morphs won't really render any longer than other HD morphs applied to your character in your current scene. EG I just used them last night in a scene with a character using HSS shader instead of the new SSS one and it only took 10 min. Also what are your render settings? There are a lot of factors to look at, so post as many screenshots (render settings, skin shader) as you can and we can see why it's slowing down the render times.

edited September 2014

Zev0 said:
    What skin shader are you using? I discovered that the new SSS shader combinbed with HD morphs (Any) produces very long render times. My HD morphs won't really render any longer than other HD morphs applied to your character in your current scene. EG I just used them last night in a scene with a character using HSS shader instead of the new SSS one and it only took 10 min. Also what are your render settings? There are a lot of factors to look at, so post as many screenshots (render settings, skin shader) as you can and we can see why it's slowing down the render times.

Well, I'm waiting for a test now, so I can't post screenshots, but I can tell you that I almost always subdivide my characters and use Ubersurface 2 almost exclusively. I can also tell you that I accidentally left my shading rate on .5/"average" quality render for this test that's still running... my bad. But the difficulty did indeed start when I changed these two characters from displacement-based vascularity to morph-based HD. It's still at 6% after 1.5 hours... one UE light and a spot. :(

Post edited by RenderPretender on
    edited December 1969

OK. I'll check thread when I get notified.

edited December 1969

I reduced the test render to proof quality and changed both characters to HSS, but after nearly half an hour, it's still grinding away at 3%... all I want to do is check lighting. Something is definitely not right. Would there be a "non-HD" iteration of these products (I have Vascularity for Gen1 and Gen2F in a bundle)? I never have any issues with subdivided figures, but there is definitely something about these morphs that's thrown the flaps down big time. I fear I'll have to revert to displacement maps. Btw, this issue occurs as soon as I put lights in a scene (UE, at least).

edited December 1969

After some more testing, the issue appears directly related to the presence of a UE light when these morphs are being used. A spot test with one lone UE alone finally rendered after about 15 minutes (with HSS on both characters)... but that was only a small spot test.

edited September 2014

It is not the Product. HD is HD, if the scene is taking long with my morphs, it will take long with any other HD morph loaded. The amount of detail on an HD morphs does not matter, but the subD level it renders at. I can have one little bump on the head, save that as an HD morph, and it will render exactly the same length as a HD morph that has loads more detail.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    It is not the Product. HD is HD, if the scene is taking long with my morphs, it will take long with any other HD morph loaded. The amount of detail on an HD morphs does not matter, but the subD level it renders at. I can have one little bump on the head, save that as an HD morph, and it will render exactly the same length as a HD morph that has loads more detail.

That does not help me, though. Is there a way to obtain the effects of these products in non-HD? These products are very nice, but are of no practical use to me as it stands, with my workflow and character development schema. I'll never get anything done. Never experienced this issue with any subdivided figure before.

edited September 2014

I created Skin Overlay which has Vein Displacement but is only for M5\V5 UV. Only other solution if you wish to continue using HD is to try and render at SubD lvl2. Vascularity HD is saved out the same as all HD products on the market and follow the same rules, that is why I know it is not the product but the nature of HD in general in your scene.

Please do the following test. Remove Vascularity HD and load up another HD morph and I am pretty sure your render times will be exactly the same. Like I said, I can only be of assistance if you post shots of render settings and skin shaders used. There is something in your scene\settings that is causing long render times if you say you never experienced this before when using SubD\HD.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

" Like I said, I can only be of assistance if you post shots of render settings and skin shaders used. There is something in your scene\settings that is causing long render times if you say you never experienced this before when using SubD."

What I said was that, when I either remove your morphs, or use no UE/Area lights (but still have the characters subD'd), the issue goes away. But I don't have any other HD morphs to try, and based on this experience, will not be getting any.

Also, I went to great lengths to develop my characters' shaders, etc to my standard., and screenshots or no, I don't want to modify them to accommodate one product. I'd almost rather just write the cost of the product off as a lesson learned. Thanks anyway, though.

edited December 1969

If it was bought within 30 days you can return it for a refund. Sorry your HD experience was not a pleasant one.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,500
    edited December 1969

It may well produce noticeable changes in your renders - specularity in particular - but in Render Settings turn on progressive in the Advanced tab and see if that tames render times in an acceptable way.

edited December 1969

It may well produce noticeable changes in your renders - specularity in particular - but in Render Settings turn on progressive in the Advanced tab and see if that tames render times in an acceptable way.

I'll try that at some point, thanks. I'm back to displacement maps now, though, and have the scene rendering presently.

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,105
    edited September 2014

I completely agree with Zev and Richard.
    HD is a great opportunity we all have to enhance our artwork.
    You, and everybody, can render HD figures fast providing you set up simultaneously your lights sets, scene shaders, and render settings always keeping in mind that they have to reach the best render quality versus calculation time compromise. Of course it will not be as fast as a non HD figure, but the difference of time is really worth it.
    I have a good processor, but it is far from being the best one on the market, and I tested a bit the render speeds in different configurations of render settings.

With HD morphs on and subdivision levels at 2, I never go above 10 minutes render time on a 2000x2000 pixel for a figure alone in a scene, even when using special lights, such as a mapped with HDR uber environment and area lights.
    So this morning I made some tests on a scene that I had already set up, and here are the results:
    - I swap between the different existing skin shaders,
    - I set the properties of Uber Environment lights, as well as the area lights "the minimal" needed for this type of render, and this will be constant for all tests.
    - I set as the render settings just the minimal required to answer all my needs. For this kind of scene, with this figure and camera frame, with no DOF and no special extremely small details to show, and regarding the way I set up my lights, there is no need to go higher. Higher would just have mean longer, not necessarily better. Maybe I could have even reduced the render settings quality.

Now what I mean is that Zev0 HD morphs are great and work really fine, and in general this is the case for any "HD thing". If it takes so long to render, there are necessarily solutions to your issues. Maybe tweaking your skin characteristics, your lights, your render settings would solve that for you.

I kept the high resolution with Subd at 2, and here are the render speeds :
    A. Using a skin shader developed to speed up renders on HD morphs :
    2000 x 2000 pixels :
    No progressive : 5 min 55
    progressive mode 3 min 37 not exactly twice faster but much faster.

4000 x 4000 pixels :
    progressive mode : 14 min 39. Not progressive not tested, but the render size is huge, and the render settings are really enough since we can see the little blond hair he has just below the eyes. I include a close up of the 4000x4000 to show the blond hair.

Now let's compare the 1000 x 1000 render speeds evolution with progressive mode or not progressive mode on different types of skin materials :

1. Skin shader above, low dependance on HD :
    No progressive = 2 min 36,
    Progressive = 1 min 07, meaning twice faster.

2. Swapping the default Gianni provided skin shader, all the rest being constant
    not progressive = 6 min 30 seconds, which is not that long finally.
    progressive = 4 min 17 meaning 1.8 times faster

3. Using an uber type HSS skin shader (EHSS mats of "brothers for growing up" settings, but on Gianni maps), all the rest being constant :
    - not progressive = 4 min 19 seconds, which is not that long finally too.
    - progressive = 2 min 53 which is 1.5 times faster.

So now maybe with older processors, it may be a little bit longer, but the render speeds should not vary that much.

The conclusions of that being that :
    - rendering HD figures can be preset short render times, but it requires to take more care than usually (than non HD) at how the lights, figure shaders, and render settings are set up to cut out render times.
    - progressive rendering can also speed up your renders by a factor 1.5 up to 2 whatever the base skin shader you start with.
    - In no case it should take hours for a reasonable render size, only for a figure, otherwise there should be a problem somewhere else in some properties of the different elements of your scene or render settings.

EDIT : So the questions are :
    - what are your render settings?
    - what lights are you using, and with which properties?
    - you have set up you own skin shaders : Are you sure there is nothing in your brick network exploding the render time?
    - Do you have any other elements in your scene than the naked figure. If yes, try to remove them to see if it can not come from one of that?
    - Try progressive mode to cut your render times by almost two.
    - Do you experiment RAM issues? This might have an influence.

BlondHair.JPG
    739 x 687 - 82K
    HD-figures-do-not-take-that-long.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    RenderSettingsUsed.JPG
    309 x 467 - 28K
    Post edited by V3Digitimes on