3Delight and Dark Eyes Edit: Found Two Solutions

edited October 2020 in New Users

I don’t have a graphics card, so rendering takes me 20 minutes to an hour since I like to get in close on the face, and switch to 3delight. The g8 figures are giving me trouble even with the RSL MAT maps.

I have a lot of g8 stuff, so I’m wondering how I can fix the dark eyes?

Post edited by Game Master Toolbox on

Comments

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,612
    edited October 2020

hi there.

I've made a little tutorial on using 3dl in daz studio. I hope this helps

3a65943245d94deacab5814022e435.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 156K
    4c643440562520bfab20b09f94c24a.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 129K
    Post edited by Lyoness on
  • Lyoness said:

hi there.

Is that folder in the scene tab?

Lyoness said:

hi there.

If you are using one of MY LY CHARACTERS, then it is in the skin folder.   So characters/lyoness/LY Character/01 skin
    I try to keep everything together (in hopes of making it easier).

• Lyoness said:
    Lyoness said:

hi there.

If you are using one of MY LY CHARACTERS, then it is in the skin folder.   So characters/lyoness/LY Character/01 skin

I'm using the default character with some mods from EJ face morphs and 200 face morphs. 

Is the folder in the content libary? 
    I've never used

Lyoness said:
    Lyoness said:

hi there.

I'm using the default character with some mods from EJ face morphs and 200 face morphs. 

Is the folder in the content libary? 
    I've never used

I see, my instructions are purely for my characters.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

The g8 figures are giving me trouble even with the RSL MAT maps.

I have a lot of g8 stuff, so I’m wondering how I can fix the dark eyes?

Are you sure the eye surfaces actually use 3DL shaders? I have a fair number of products for which the product descriptions states IRay and 3DL materials presets are included, and when I load one of the so called RSL presets they are infact the same IRay materials copied over and renamed RSL. Select for example the eye moisture/cornea surface and check in the upper left corner of the surface pane for the shader name. It should say something like dz default or OmUberSurface. If in doubt, please post a screenshot of the surface with the shader name visible!

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

One option with the eyes defying conversion to 3Delight materials would be to select a G8 character (or a G3 character) that comes with 3Delight surface options natively and apply one of the eye surface options from that. You can then just use those instead of the Iray ones, or you can go into the Surfaces tab and swap out the texture maps with those from your original character. In the latter case you may need to fiddle a bit with surface settings if they are not to your liking, or use them as-is.

• edited October 2020

oI have some solutions. 

Method one

Go to the materials, uncheck filter by content, got to eyes, and then go to reflections.
    One reflection makes the white of  the eye appear, and the other the irises.   

This is what it looks like combined.

Method number 2. 

Hit the Index of Refraction dial to zero for the cornea and eye moisture on the surface tab. The eyes look dead without a reflection, so I choose a eye pupil that has a reflection pattern already in the eye. I went to eye color then looked around.   

I don't like how it turns out.

So I pick an eye color. 

This is what it looks like with an eye color, but you have not set Index of Refraction dial to zero.

Post edited by Game Master Toolbox on
  • I had this happen with G8 and made my own eyes out of sets of spheres parented to each eyeball, then making the original eyes not visible in rendering. After getting their size and placement just right you can play with the surface textures and reflections to get a pretty good look. you can parent another shinny, transparent, smaller sphere raised from each iris to create a lens even.