Moving the DS4 Default Content to another drive - help please.

Zachary_WolfZachary_Wolf Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello,

My one Terra Byte Drive that once upon a time, I thought would be more than I'd ever need on my system, is fast becoming cramped.

I looked at my installed programs, and found that the in the control panel where you go to un-install programs, it shows that DS4 Default Content is taking up more than Half of my drive space... (588GB)

I have Several External Drives, and though that may slow things down just a titch, I'm going to have to shuffle that big honker over to the external drive I think.

So, is there an easier way to do that, than un-installing, and re-installing every thing? (the way DAZ sets stuff, up, that will take literally hours to re-install all of my content.... which begs the question... could someone PLEASE make an easy way to install all of my content... like I select everything that needs installed, and push a couple of buttons... wouldn't that be awesome!!!! I'd pay cash for THAT for sure! but I digress.)

Back on Track... Does anyone know if I can just Move that whole Folder Structure, and then point to the new location or something? any help is greatly appreciated.

zWolf - Wade Hone.

Comments

• Zachary_WolfZachary_Wolf Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So, is there an easier way to do that, than un-installing, and re-installing every thing? (the way DAZ sets stuff, up, that will take literally hours to re-install all of my content.... which begs the question... could someone PLEASE make an easy way to install all of my content... like I select everything that needs installed, and push a couple of buttons... wouldn't that be awesome!!!! I'd pay cash for THAT for sure! but I digress.)

zWolf - Wade Hone.

Hmm, in another thread I was just reading... I see something about an 'auto installer' and a thing that will 'updated' your content, based on what you have purchased from DAZ....

Is this the miracle that I'm looking for? can I just install the main program, then hit a button, and the stuff I purchased get's installed automatically? any handy links on what this auto installer actually does? (I'll keep looking, as I'm sure it's there -but any short cuts from those of you in the know would be greatly appreciated.

My 'experience' is from several months ago - I haven't dabbled in quite some time.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited July 2012

Hello,

My one Terra Byte Drive that once upon a time, I thought would be more than I'd ever need on my system, is fast becoming cramped.

I looked at my installed programs, and found that the in the control panel where you go to un-install programs, it shows that DS4 Default Content is taking up more than Half of my drive space... (588GB)

I have Several External Drives, and though that may slow things down just a titch, I'm going to have to shuffle that big honker over to the external drive I think.

Back on Track... Does anyone know if I can just Move that whole Folder Structure, and then point to the new location or something? any help is greatly appreciated.

zWolf - Wade Hone.

The reported space it just an error in the way the used space is being calculated by Windows. It's pretty safe to ignore. The only way to accurately see how much space your content is using is to go to Right click > Properties on your My Library folder (or folders) and look at the total space. I've been collecting since 2006 and I have a LOT of content, but it's not 588GB (it's only 300ish. ;) )

Post edited by adamr001 on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

Is all your content I one Content Folder or maybe just two or three? If so I think I know who can help you get this done without needing to do more than move the folders and update some data pointers.

I did not know the point Adamr001 pointed out.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

The number displayed in Add/Remove Programs is incorrect, I recall this being discussed on the old forums here: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=187327

From what I've heard, the Install Manager will do exactly what you ask, letting you choose the options (e.g. target folder) once and then installing everything.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Also, I have a tutorial here -> http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=179107 <- about migrating the CMS database between computers. It covers the task of moving the location of your content and updating the CMS to reflect it.</p>

• Zachary_WolfZachary_Wolf Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you all, Great Info!