Iray Stand Kit [Commercial]

3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,304
edited December 2020 in Daz PA Commercial Products

My latest product, Iray Stand Kit has gone live. 

This product's creation was born from my desire to create Iray renders of simplified and clean Stands and Displays featuring existing 3D environments. Environmental elements that are sized and placed within the Stand Kit base's boundaries create a display or stand for characters and any part of the environment outside of the base isn't rendered in Iray. With the use of carefully set up Iray Section Plane Nodes, Iray Stand Kit takes the guesswork out of where Iray Section Plane Nodes should be placed.  Simply keeping the scene's desired Geometry within the Stand Kit Base's Borders allows the geometry within to be seen upon Iray Rendering and all geometry outside the base to not be seen in Iray Render. The Stand Kit's base gives a more firm visual field of where the Iray Section Plane Nodes will be active.

This kit allows one to use their favorite environments as simplified backdrops or displays for their characters in Iray Render. The creation of Iray Stand Kit also helped me to solve a problem I kept having with lighting interior scenes. I LOVE using HDRI light for scenes and it's such a simple and elegant solution to lighting which often creates nice results. The ease of use of HDRIs makes it my "go to" lighting and Iray Stand Kit helps facilitate that by "hiding" any geometry that is outside of the Stand Kit Base's borders - allowing HDRI light into the scene.

For that reason, I've set up additional Iray Stand Kit load options that load a camera with the Iray Stand Kit parented to the camera and sized up to be outside of the camera's view. This helps hide scene geometry that is outside of the camera's view. So upon moving the camera the Stand Kit moves with it (if left parented to the camera), allowing one to navigate the camera around the scene, bringing the Stand Kit Base (with it's Iray Section Plane Nodes) together with it.

I hope that Iray Stand Kit will be helpful to you guys! If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

(Stand/Display created using Iray Stand Kit with Jack Tomalin's beautiful Balneae.)

Here's a quick video I did to show how the product works:

Oh and a side note - I had included the list of products used in the promos when I submitted the product but for some reason the list didn't get added to the Store Page for the product. I've sent in a support ticket asking for it to be added to the store page so Hopefully it will be updated and added as I know many of you often wonder about what products are used in promotional images. Until it (hopefully) gets updated, here's the list of products I used in the Promotional Imagery:

Posh Hair

Toon Rocket and Moonscape

Lorelei Mertail for Genesis 2 Female(s)

Anemone for Genesis 2 Female(s)

Wasteground Vignette

Bobbity Bo Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s)

Cafe Luca

The Mystery Solver Outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s)

Chevaleresse Armor for Genesis 3 Female(s)

Pavel for Ivan 7

Balneae

Baroness Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s)

Urban Survivors for Genesis 3 Male(s) and Female(s)

Santa Beard for Genesis 3 Male(s)

Topmodel Updo Hair and OOT Hairblending 2.0 for Genesis 3 Female(s)

Jenn HD for Victoria 7

Hands Dial-up for Genesis 8 Female

Axel Hair for Genesis 8 Male(s)

Mage Tower Iray

Night Spy Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Concordia Rotunda

Youngblood Hair for Genesis 3 and 8

Alien Corridor

dForce Wizard Lore Outfit for Genesis 8 Male(s)

Aguja Undersea Environment

KamilyAnn for Zelara 8

Luca for Genesis 8 Male

dForce Universal Dress for Genesis 8 Female(s)

dForce Blacksmith Outfit for Genesis 8 Male(s)

Nix 8

Easy Light and Render - Spectrum Studio

Biker Hair and Beard For Genesis 3 and 8 Male(s)

dForce Eloise Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Betty Fashion Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Babina 8

Regal Protector for Genesis 8 Male(s)

Trearchi Folly

Tearchi Dalliance Poses for Genesis 8

YouMei Hair for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Ping the Ringtail - Plushies 2.0

Sci-Fi Retro Space Suit for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,304
    edited December 2020

For anyone COMPLETELY new to Iray Section Plane nodes and don't know what they are, here is a useful video by The WP Guru on what they are:

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Kev914Kev914 Posts: 1,109

I bought this today. I think I understand more what it does after reading your explanation above.From the title, I was thinking of a platform that the figure stood on.

KevinH said:

I bought this today. I think I understand more what it does after reading your explanation above.From the title, I was thinking of a platform that the figure stood on.

The base can be used for that, yes, as the base comes with several materials presets. So it can be hidden (as with the Balneae render above) or it can be kept in the scene for a platform as below:

Please let me know if you have any questions. :) You can ask here or PM me if you prefer.

• Thanks for setting up the thread! One thing I was curious about, that I mentioned over in the Commons, is whether this will pair well with the Camera View Optimizer, which I just picked up yesterday. One hangup I can see with it is that if an object's bounding box intersects the camera's viewing plane, the object will be culled even if it's predominantly within the frame. Moving the camera back can put it fully in the frame and spare it, but that means ultimately including things we may not want in the final shot taking resources to render.

Could I zoom the camera out a little to preserve desired objects, use the CVO to remove things that I don't need (and don't mind destructively removing), and then as a final step bring in the Iray Stand Kit right before rendering to hide the portions of objects I don't want in the final shot and don't want to spend the VRAM overhead on? If so, I'll buy without hesitation. I run old hardware and even relentless texture optimization, etc. isn't enough to let it keep up with the demands from the current version of Studio. I need pretty much every advantage I can get to maximize resources.

This is probably a silly question and it seems like things should work out just fine, but I'm still relatively new to Studio and have a big emptiness of knowledge between "it seems like it should work" and "I know it will work."

Thanks for setting up the thread! One thing I was curious about, that I mentioned over in the Commons, is whether this will pair well with the Camera View Optimizer, which I just picked up yesterday. One hangup I can see with it is that if an object's bounding box intersects the camera's viewing plane, the object will be culled even if it's predominantly within the frame. Moving the camera back can put it fully in the frame and spare it, but that means ultimately including things we may not want in the final shot taking resources to render.

Could I zoom the camera out a little to preserve desired objects, use the CVO to remove things that I don't need (and don't mind destructively removing), and then as a final step bring in the Iray Stand Kit right before rendering to hide the portions of objects I don't want in the final shot and don't want to spend the VRAM overhead on? If so, I'll buy without hesitation. I run old hardware and even relentless texture optimization, etc. isn't enough to let it keep up with the demands from the current version of Studio. I need pretty much every advantage I can get to maximize resources.

This is probably a silly question and it seems like things should work out just fine, but I'm still relatively new to Studio and have a big emptiness of knowledge between "it seems like it should work" and "I know it will work."

I'm sorry, I don't have Camera View Optimizer and I don't really know how that product works, so I can't say how it would work with the Iray Stand Kit. I don't own the product so I can't really test to see how it works with it - but if that camera product does work ok with Iray Section Plane Nodes then it should work just fine with Iray Stand Kit. I'm sorry Cora Regina, I wish I could give more feedback on the use of that camera product with the Stand Kit.

• 3Diva said:

Thanks for setting up the thread! One thing I was curious about, that I mentioned over in the Commons, is whether this will pair well with the Camera View Optimizer, which I just picked up yesterday. One hangup I can see with it is that if an object's bounding box intersects the camera's viewing plane, the object will be culled even if it's predominantly within the frame. Moving the camera back can put it fully in the frame and spare it, but that means ultimately including things we may not want in the final shot taking resources to render.

I'm sorry, I don't have Camera View Optimizer and I don't really know how that product works, so I can't say how it would work with the Iray Stand Kit. I don't own the product so I can't really test to see how it works with it - but if that camera product does work ok with Iray Section Plane Nodes then it should work just fine with Iray Stand Kit. I'm sorry Cora Regina, I wish I could give more feedback on the use of that camera product with the Stand Kit.

Ah, okay. No worries. Pretty much what it does is delete anything that's not entirely contained within the camera frame, for instance thousands and thousands of leaves all needing resources even though you can't see them and they don't impact the scene. It's a script that you run once you've nailed down your camera view, not something that needs to be running constantly, so I can't see where adding a section plane node afterward would cause problems... but then I can't see where a lot of things would cause problems and then they do, lol.

I'll pick the Iray Stand Kit up and give it a try all the same, since inasmuch as I can tell there really, really shouldn't be any issues and it would save me a certain amount of frustration with trying to selectively cull geometry, messing up, and trying again ad nauseam. Hopefully it'll be a scalpel to follow up my very ugly saw job. :B

Plus I'm just terrible at correctly orienting section planes and am willing to pay for convenience. I have so many massive interiors that this looks like it'll be great in no matter what!

3Diva said:

Ah, okay. No worries. Pretty much what it does is delete anything that's not entirely contained within the camera frame, for instance thousands and thousands of leaves all needing resources even though you can't see them and they don't impact the scene. It's a script that you run once you've nailed down your camera view, not something that needs to be running constantly, so I can't see where adding a section plane node afterward would cause problems... but then I can't see where a lot of things would cause problems and then they do, lol.

I'll pick the Iray Stand Kit up and give it a try all the same, since inasmuch as I can tell there really, really shouldn't be any issues and it would save me a certain amount of frustration with trying to selectively cull geometry, messing up, and trying again ad nauseam. Hopefully it'll be a scalpel to follow up my very ugly saw job. :B

Plus I'm just terrible at correctly orienting section planes and am willing to pay for convenience. I have so many massive interiors that this looks like it'll be great in no matter what!

I do hope that the Iray Stand Kit will be helpful to you. If not, keep in mind that there is a 30-day return policy. :) Please let me know if you run into any issues or have any questions about using the Iray Stand Kit and I'll try and help out in any way that I can. :)

I made a quick video, I hope it's helpful:

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,025
    edited December 2020

As someone who hates wrangling massive environment sets but loves the stuff they come with, I'm having a lot of fun with it. :D I've used section plane cameras before, but I really like the way this product is set up. 

Quick experiment making a windowbox. I stuck a plane with a mirror shader behind the glass so it'd catch the HDRI with the dome turned off.

windowbox01.png
    1126 x 1085 - 824K
    Post edited by plasma_ring on

As someone who hates wrangling massive environment sets but loves the stuff they come with, I'm having a lot of fun with it. :D I've used section plane cameras before, but I really like the way this product is set up. 

Quick experiment making a windowbox. I stuck a plane with a mirror shader behind the glass so it'd catch the HDRI with the dome turned off.

That came out really cool! Awesome! :D Thank you for posting. I love seeing what people do with my products! It makes my day! yes

• Thanks for setting this up. It immediately went in my cart this morning now that I have a much better idea of what this product does.

thanks,

Jason

• what can i say picked it up and was a bit perplexed on how to use it  - your  vid helped soooo much  and look forward to playing with it  will post my attempts  lol

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,710

3Diva, thank you so much for explaining what the Stand does, I can use it so well I think! Great idea!

Thanks for setting this up. It immediately went in my cart this morning now that I have a much better idea of what this product does.

thanks,

Jason

Thank you, Jason! :D I hope the product is useful to you!

what can i say picked it up and was a bit perplexed on how to use it  - your  vid helped soooo much  and look forward to playing with it  will post my attempts  lol

Oh good, I'm really glad the video helped. It was my first time making a video walkthrough/semi-tutorial type thing and wasn't really sure how to go about doing it, so I just kind of winged it. lol I'm glad that it helped you with understanding the Iray Stand Kit a bit better. :D

tsroemi said:

3Diva, thank you so much for explaining what the Stand does, I can use it so well I think! Great idea!

Thank you! I really appreciate your support and everyone who's purchased the product! Thank you, guys! I hope that you all enjoy using the product and hope that you find it beneficial to your render sessions! 

I look forward to seeing what people do with it. :)

• Is this animatable? 

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

This looks very cool, 3Diva! Would you know or be able to check if it also cuts through the background image that you can set in the Environment pane? I'm using that with an image to check the bleed, so that when the image is trimmed it still looks ok. Thanks!

edited December 2020

johranshadi said:

Is this animatable? 

Yes, as long as it's rendered in Daz Studio and in Iray as Iray Section Plane Nodes only work with Iray. Here's a quick animation (I left the base visible but you can also make it invisible by hiding the Stand Kit Base in the scene tab).

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited December 2020

dawnblade said:

This looks very cool, 3Diva! Would you know or be able to check if it also cuts through the background image that you can set in the Environment pane? I'm using that with an image to check the bleed, so that when the image is trimmed it still looks ok. Thanks!

Iray Section Plane Nodes only make scene geometry invisible so any images loaded to the Environment tab >> Backdrop >> Background are completely visible in the renders. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • 3Diva said:

johranshadi said:

Is this animatable? 

Yes, as long as it's rendered in Daz Studio and in Iray as Iray Section Plane Nodes only work with Iray.

Brilliant! I will purchase it. Thanks! 

3Diva said:

dawnblade said:

Iray Section Plane Nodes only make scene geometry invisible so any images loaded to the Environment tab >> Backdrop >> Background are completely visible in the renders. :)

That is great, thank you! smiley

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344

Ok, so the kit just mask the scene with the planes and render the subset of it.

It is interesting - have to test it for myself.

Quick ?: The camera that comes with the kit is set to "Use Local Dimensions." Is that required?

edited December 2020

dawnblade said:

Quick ?: The camera that comes with the kit is set to "Use Local Dimensions." Is that required?

The camera has Local Dimensions turned On because the camera's render size has been adjusted for the Stand Kit's dimensions. You can turn off Local Dimensions by going to the "Cameras" tab, but please keep in mind that if you turn off Local Dimensions you may need to manually adjust the size of the Stand Kit, depending on your render dimensions. :)

Alternatively, you can enable "Constrain Proportions" and adjust the render size up or down and it keeps the same render dimensions but adjusts the render to be larger or smaller depending on your preference.

Screenshot 2020-12-05 163340.jpg
    636 x 364 - 40K
    Post edited by 3Diva on
    3Diva said:

dawnblade said:

The camera has Local Dimensions turned On because the camera's render size has been adjusted for the Stand Kit's dimensions. You can turn off Local Dimensions by going to the "Cameras" tab, but please keep in mind that if you turn off Local Dimensions you may need to manually adjust the size of the Stand Kit, depending on your render dimensions. :)

Got it! Thank you for your help,@3Diva!

dawnblade said:

3Diva said:

dawnblade said:

Got it! Thank you for your help,@3Diva!

You're welcome. Keep in mind that you can enable "Constrain Proportions" and adjust the render size up or down and it keeps the same render dimensions but adjusts the render to be larger or smaller depending on your preference. :)

• What can i say LOVE it  i have a very old machine  and struggles a lot to render complicated scenes  this would prob have been about 10 hours or  so  and was done  in just under 2 wow for me wellllllll  worth it   thank you @3Diva for your amazing work 

RenderScot said:

What can i say LOVE it  i have a very old machine  and struggles a lot to render complicated scenes  this would prob have been about 10 hours or  so  and was done  in just under 2 wow for me wellllllll  worth it   thank you @3Diva for your amazing work 

hahah Awesome! I'm so happy to hear that you like it and that it's helpful to you!

Beautiful render, by the way! Lovely lighting and environment. She looks like a very pretty and capable adventurer. Is that Freja 8?

• thanks a lot @3Diva   was an HDRI from Orestes ( might have been summmers day ) and yep well spotted  it is indeed Freja wanted an adventurer that looked strong enough to swing through the trees  and keep going ;)