The Basic Sky

Just thought I'd have a look at the basic sky in Carrara.

I'm not talking about the "Realistic Sky option" (supposedly it's bigger, brighter cousin), just the basic sky one... I'm exploring the questions; What can you do with it? Has it been superseeded by it's bigger cousin?

Interested? Read on...

Comments

• Let's start with a basic Sky set up...

BASIC 01

Sky Colour: HLS - 58%, 50%, 100% (Blue)
    Ground Colour: HLS - 8%, 20%, 10%

Haze Colour: HLS - 0%, 70%, 0%

Cloud Colour: HLS - 0%, 85%, 0%

Finally the scene with these basic sky settings...

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited January 2021

Setting the mood...

BASIC 02

Sun Colour: HLS - 16.67%, 85, 50%
    Aura Colour: HLS - 8.33%, 75%, 75%

The scene with the sun showing. You can move the sun around by clicking and dragging the centre dot of the cookie cutter shape provided it is...

• One in view of the camera,
    • Two you have chosen to show it in the scene properties panel.

Adding a light flare...

Light Glow Color: HSL - 0%, 100%, 0%
    Light Glow Glow: HSL - 0%, 90%, 0%
    Light Glow Inner: HSL - 8.33%, 60%, 5%
    Light Glow Outer: HSL - 8.33%, 20%, 50%

Finally the scene with these updated basic sky settings...

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • A small aside...

Here's the cookie cutter... Click and drag the centre dot to move it about in your scene, clicking the other dot at the end of the line will turn the sky from day to night and vice a versa!

The height of the cloud planes are a percentage of the overall height of the sky as set here...

The camera in the Sky 'Lab' is pointing to the West - the default scene has the camera pointing to the NorthWest so if you see a beautiful cloud formation that you like then you will need to rotate either your camera (and whole scene) or the cloud plane - 45 degrees (ie 315 degrees as shown)

Finally the scene with these updates for illustrative purposes...

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited January 2021

Just for the fun of it... adding a second cloud layer

Sky Colour: HSL - 58%, 25%, 95%
    Cloud Colour: HSL - 16.67%, 80%, 100%

Finally the scene with these updates for the fun of it...

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,128

Great info, thank you.

I never explored the basic sky because I wrongly assumed that realistic must be better than basic. You have demonstrated that the basic sky can deliver excellent results, depending on the goal. 

I will have to check it out more.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,056

I used to use it a lot, still do if I use sky which I don't often in native renders (gradient and volumetric clouds being my preference)

is faster to render than the so called realistic one

the horizon default is silly though, I always add zeros to the values each direction

• Thanks Diomede

Further radical experimentation...

Sky Colour: HLS - 38%, 15%, 75%
    Aura Colour: HLS - 88%, 75%, 75%

Increasing cloud cover...

Cloud Colour: HLS - 96%, 80% 100%

Finally the scene with adjustments...

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198

@FENgari - wow - you've made that basic sky sing, with the light flares, cloud planes and all. I use the Octane Render plug-in to render, so always stick with the realistic sky as a time reference, but I wish I'd seen this tutorial back in the days when I used Carrara's native renderer, those techniques would have bumped up the scene quality for sure.

• Thanks Sci Fi Funk on Youtube!

..And there's more!

I've never used the rainbow feature as I could never position it exactly where I wanted it... till now that is! The secret? Just use a second camera and point it in the opposite direction to your main one and pull the cookie cutter to where it needs to go now that you can see it.

Sky Colour: HLS - 60%, 5%, 75%
    Ground Colour: HLS - 10%, 20%, 10%
    Haze Colour: HLS - 0%, 25%, 0%

Clouds Color: HLS - 60%, 40%, 25%

Clouds Color: HLS - 60%, 50%, 15%

Add yet another cloud layer (you can add up to 4)
    Clouds Color: HLS - 60%, 60%, 50%

Finally, the scene with rainbow...

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

one does the rainbows, the other one does the god rays. sun beams

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,971

Fantastic!!!  yes  Love the rainbows. heart

I use it a lot whilst building a landscape scene, but unless I have a shedload of trees, the horizon ground thingy drives me nuts. angry

smiley  Silene

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198

@FENgari - pushing those limits. Fantastic mate.

SileneUK said:

I use it a lot whilst building a landscape scene, but unless I have a shedload of trees, the horizon ground thingy drives me nuts. angry

smiley  Silene

1 trick i like to do to cover the 'ground'  put down an infinite plane and put reflection on it 

inf plane.png
    1280 x 450 - 258K

Mystiarra said:

SileneUK said:

smiley  Silene

1 trick i like to do to cover the 'ground'  put down an infinite plane and put reflection on it 

Infinite plane I get. What texture do you use or just use the glass 'mirror' shader? I used to just use fogs and atmospherics, but they take up too much render time now.

surpriseheart Silene

• Just for the fun of it...

• How about this one...

These are stunning.  I seem to have a problem.  I can't get any atmospherics to show in Basic Sky. No clouds, no haze, I just get a plain blue no matter what I do. I even opened a blank scene, stuck a terrain in and tried to follow your steps.  Realistic Sky works fine, but nothing with Basic Sky.  Am I missing something before you open Basic Sky in Atmosphere. And under Ambient, do you leave that at Basic or change to Sky?  Tried both.  Might be something missing in my menu, but the renders in the Edit dialogue box look right. Just not in my scenes. Plain blue all the way.

sad   Silene

SileneUK said:

Mystiarra said:

SileneUK said:

smiley  Silene

Infinite plane I get. What texture do you use or just use the glass 'mirror' shader? I used to just use fogs and atmospherics, but they take up too much render time now.

surpriseheart Silene

the reflection shader in the shader wizard.

no matter how many miles of lowering horizon, is still there. 

edited January 2021

Thanks, Misty. Trying to get clouds etc in the sky, something's not working in my scene. Not sure if it's distance or what. Looking now and tyring to cook Sunday Lunch/Dinner.

cool Silene.   

ETA:  If I change the sunlinght, the effect on the terrain is evident and looks just like it should. EG, a red sunset.  It's just the sky that stays plain blue.crying  And haze works... I can see the effect on the terrain. Weird!

Post edited by SileneUK on

is kewl how easy it is to animate the clouds moving

is harder to point the camera so the moon is in the shot

• Sorry to hear you're not having much fun with the sky 'lab' ... here's a simple scene and image try it and see if you get the same result. It was created in Carrara Pro 8.5.1 (build 19)

zip
    zip
    Silene.zip
  • Using the infini plane 'trick' ...

interesting ripples composition, makes me feel contemplativesmiley 

Thanks!!   It opened as a small scene the way you sent it and it rendered in Carrara just as in the dialogue box.  But attached is what I got for a render when I copied all the settings into my scene. (Everything LOOKS right but renders wrongly).  I also changed the plane of my terrain to rest on the x axis properly so you could see it. It is in a medium scene.  I am totally confused.  I must have something in the scene that is interfering. I was afraid I had a Carrara tool file missing or something that kept me from making clouds in  Basic Sky, but the sky IS there. You can tell from the water reflection of the botched render, and in the shader room image using the infinite plane to reflect. it is there as a reflected sky!  I just cannot see it in a spot or normal render! 

I have to do some invoices for tomorrow, but will leave it and maybe you or someone can figure it out. I can make skies that render using Realistic Sky, and the presets that came with Carrara as well. Just not Basic Sky.  Never noticed it before as I just use the plain blue when building landscapes, then I make backgrounds etc. But I liked what you did with Basic Sky and want to try it in my workflow. Hmmm. Sorry to be trouble... it's a great tut!!

blushsurprise  Silene

Doc1-1.png
    2169 x 3371 - 1M
    Doc1-2.png
    2383 x 3370 - 3M
  • Okay - simple fix the height (Maximum Altitude) is too low for your scene you will need to increase it... As you have it the cloud plane is sitting way down below the camera and that's why you get a blue background (the sky) and white patchy floor (this is the cloud plane.) Hope that helps :)

• How to move the moon to where you want it - easy when you know a trick or two...

You can see the sunlight - so add one of those and move it where you want it then... change it to a moon light, make sure the moon section is turned to night and it will appear where the sun was!

Well, DOH? blush  I was only raising it by 10-20 metres or so messing around and of course it made no difference.  Had to go to 200 metres!

Thanks so much!

heartyes  Silene

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,056
    edited January 2021

SileneUK said:

Well, DOH? blush  I was only raising it by 10-20 metres or so messing around and of course it made no difference.  Had to go to 200 metres!

Thanks so much!

heartyes  Silene

I warned about that earlier adding zeros cheeky

as in more than one devil

should have mentioned a -minus sign as well for below 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,328

Very nice!

Say, that cookie cutter should also be able to be controlled/aimed simply by rotating the Sun and/or Moon light around. That's how I do it is Realistic Sky. The trick is, you won't see the cookie cutter unless the light is aimed correctly, but it helps that we can then rotate it back for the rainbow.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

SileneUK said:

Thanks so much!

heartyes  Silene

I warned about that earlier adding zeros cheeky

as in more than one devil

should have mentioned a -minus sign as well for below 

Wendy, I was so distracted that I wasn't taking in some of Misty's and your comments.(It's tax self-assessment deadline time).  I thought more zeros meant decimally, so I did that to get some fractional changes.  One benefit for doing that was I can better manage the waves on my water and nudging my terrain layers that I use to create surface replicators which is a whole new bundle of fun I have discovered.

heart  Silene