Is there any better way to zoom in-out?

iSeeThisiSeeThis Posts: 552
edited December 1969 in New Users

Using mouse wheel is not so effective when the whole scene is large. Mouse wheel often makes it too much or too small to zoom in-out. Using magnifier is even worse. Do we have any other more precise way to do this task?

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,225
    edited December 1969

There may be other answers, but I know this is one of the reasons that environment artist set up several cameras for their packs to get you to key positions, quickly. You can make these cameras yourself and save them to get around your scene.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

You can select the camera and type in X-Y-Z coordinates.

• iSeeThisiSeeThis Posts: 552
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much! Really forgot that we have that way, too.

• throttlekittythrottlekitty Posts: 173
    edited December 1969

Similarly, I was watching the features video for Reality, and he controlled the camera inside the scene - not the control box in the upper right.

HOW?

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588
    edited October 2014

Similarly, I was watching the features video for Reality, and he controlled the camera inside the scene - not the control box in the upper right.

HOW?

That's using combinations of the Ctrl, Alt, Shift keys and the three mouse buttons.
    You can find them listed at the bottom of the Preferences dialog. (Get to it by F3 or MainMenu/Edit/Preferences)

Orbit - Ctrl, Alt, LeftMouse
    Rotate - Ctrl, Shift, LeftMouse

Pan - Ctrl, Alt, RightMouse
    Dolly - Ctrl, Alt, MiddleMouse

Bank - Ctrl, Shift, MiddleMouse

ZoomDolly - Ctrl, Shift, RightMouse
    ZoomFocal - No Shortcut

Post edited by prixat on
  • throttlekittythrottlekitty Posts: 173
    edited December 1969

Oh wow, thanks! I found it under Window>workspace>customize.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited December 1969

Select a figure/prop in the scene that is far away. Click on the frame button (the + with the brackets around it.) You'll zip right to the item in the viewport.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

Has 4.7 added any easier zoom controls?

• gederixgederix Posts: 390
    edited December 1969

Yes you can now keyboard navigate through a scene (wasd) kind of like a free cam in a video game.

• kavkav Posts: 23

There has to be a fill frame command. I mean right? I just imported a single model to a blank new canvas to test a texture map and already my brand new gaming laptop is slowing down to the point that the zoom tool isn't working. It's just too much for the pc to register and it does that annoying thing where it zooms in and then zooms back out in the same mouse movement because it can't process the command. I'm just trying to get a quick render to see if I'm on the right track with my uv map but I can't get the model filling enough of the frame for there to be any point to my render. I won't see what I need to.

Is there a fill frame with model command? 

• leo04leo04 Posts: 325

I worked in CAD for over 30 years and having a ZOOM window command was essinttial. I am very surprised that DAZ does not have anything like it.  In the CAD program you could select a window area to view by clicking two opposinng points in the veiw, then the area selected would become the new veiw.  A Zoom Out and Zoom In command was also availabe, with the ability to select a variable to zoom in or out by a factor of X2 or more, what ever you wanted. 

I would love to see those simple view controls introduced into this program. I believe it would make it extremely more user friendly.

• leo04 said:

I worked in CAD for over 30 years and having a ZOOM window command was essinttial. I am very surprised that DAZ does not have anything like it.  In the CAD program you could select a window area to view by clicking two opposinng points in the veiw, then the area selected would become the new veiw.  A Zoom Out and Zoom In command was also availabe, with the ability to select a variable to zoom in or out by a factor of X2 or more, what ever you wanted. 

I would love to see those simple view controls introduced into this program. I believe it would make it extremely more user friendly.

An issue there would be perspective, especially if you were far from the objects to be brought up - define your rectangle (or just horizontal or vertical line, sicne the aspect ratio is fixed) and as the camera moved to that position things would move in and out of the field of view depending on their distance.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,059

funny but Carrara actually has that feature (magnifier box selection) and I hate it cheeky

I am always accidentally using it then my render doesn't match the viewport 

still DAZ studio always renders what is shown in the viewport so such a tool could be useful there

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,882
    edited October 2022

If you want fast/slow zoom you can select the Scene Navigator on the Tool Settings tab.  Here you can adjust the speed of the Move Controls, right down to 0.1.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,882

BTW, mouse wheel sensitivity (lines per step) in DS is controlled by Windows' mouse settings (I think default is 3 lines per step), but changing it will therefore affect other programs using mouse wheel also.

• If someone is still wondering then focal length is your friend