Someone used filters in Bryce ?

Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
edited October 2014 in Bryce Discussion

Most users will know that you can use Photoshop filters in Bryce for creating and editing terrains. As i know, there is a filter bundle from the Bryce Creators. Does anyone know the name from this filter package ? I forgot the name. This filter package is specifically create for Bryce.

edit: Where i can download this filters ? As i know, this filters are free.

Post edited by Roland4 on

Comments

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Fishtales said:

Thanks, but i mean the specifically Photoshop filters from the Bryce creators.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    Most users will know that you can use Photoshop filters in Bryce for creating and editing terrains. As i know, there is a filter bundle from the Bryce Creators. Does anyone know the name from this filter package ? I forgot the name. This filter package is specifically create for Bryce.

How do you use photoshop filters in Bryce, and where .... terrain editor, material lab ????

Learning something new every day :)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,538
    edited December 1969

@Roland4 - Bryce 4 had the Kay's KTP3 filters for for the Picture textures. They still work in Bryce 7.1 and I use them sometimes. If you have Photoshop filters, you can add the path to them in the Picture dialogue by clicking on the down arrow next to a picture texture. Since Bryce 5, no Photoshop filters are included as far as I know.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:

How do you use photoshop filters in Bryce, and where .... terrain editor, material lab ????

This is a guide on using the Terrain Editor and near the bottom it mentions using the Photoshop Filters

http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/BryceTuts/BryceClasses/IBryce5/IBryceLesson5-2.html

edited December 1969

Roland4 said:

The Photoshop filters are for use in the terrain editor.

edited October 2014

Horo said:
    @Roland4 - Bryce 4 had the Kay's KTP3 filters

Exactly this filter bundle i mean. During installation, the installer asks for the folder of Bryce The correctly name is Kai`s Power Tools. The version i mean is KPT 3. This filter bundle is komplett free. Does anyone have this bundle and can it send me by mail ?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    Horo said:

Exactly this filter bundle i mean. During installation, the installer asks for the folder of Bryce The correctly name is Kai`s Power Tools. The version i mean is KPT 3. This filter bundle is komplett free. Does anyone have this bundle and can it send me by mail ?

No, not legally. The only person who can redistribute anything is the person who produced it.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Fishtales said:
    Roland4 said:

This is a guide on using the Terrain Editor and near the bottom it mentions using the Photoshop Filters

http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/BryceTuts/BryceClasses/IBryce5/IBryceLesson5-2.html

Thanks Sandy, I wonder how I missed it, Robin Wood's tutorials are my main source of reference, I keep going back to them. Talk about old age ;)

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Roland4 said:
    Horo said:

No, not legally. The only person who can redistribute anything is the person who produced it.

Yes sorry please, you're right.

edited December 1969

I have Kay's Power Tools from Bryce 4 and just copied them into the Bryce folder but it could be anywhere. Here's a landscape I made more than 2 years ago. The sawtooth frames are because the filters are only 8-bit, not 16 as required for the TE. The hands are MatCreator's Alien Artefact #2, the mirror balls I put in them. Backdrop and light from the Tourbillon Tower HDRI.

Twirly.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 162K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    I have Kay's Power Tools from Bryce 4 and just copied them into the Bryce folder but it could be anywhere. Here's a landscape I made more than 2 years ago. The sawtooth frames are because the filters are only 8-bit, not 16 as required for the TE. The hands are MatCreator's Alien Artefact #2, the mirror balls I put in them. Backdrop and light from the Tourbillon Tower HDRI.

The problem is, that the installer itself not run on Windows 8 and so i can not install this tools. If the tools installed on a nother computer, then i can copied the files / filters in my bryce folder and then is ok, but i have only a laptop with Windows 8.

edited December 1969

The question is whether we need external filters. Bryce have fantastic Filters integrated, but first you must lern it.

Screenshot7.jpg
    298 x 263 - 33K
    edited December 1969

@Roland4 - if you have a legal copy of KPT3, you may have to install them as Administrator. However, these are only files and do not need an installer. Unpack and copy to a folder of your choice is all there is to it. And you're quite right: Bryce has so many gems like the filters in TE but it needs a bit of time to get acquainted to everything.

edited October 2014

Horo said:
    @Roland4 - if you have a legal copy of KPT3, you may have to install them as Administrator. However, these are only files and do not need an installer. Unpack and copy to a folder of your choice is all there is to it. And you're quite right: Bryce has so many gems like the filters in TE but it needs a bit of time to get acquainted to everything.

The file i download is a archiv and a legal copy. If i unpack this archiv then there are the folowing files and i run the installer as Admin:

Screenshot9.jpg
    723 x 162 - 54K
    Screenshot8.jpg
    767 x 438 - 234K
    edited December 1969

@Roland4 - from the file dates, it looks right. It may be that you got the ones for the Mac, not for the PC.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Roland4 - from the file dates, it looks right. It may be that you got the ones for the Mac, not for the PC.

setup.exe is for windows not for mac. This are the same files i have 2011 and used it with windows 7.

edited December 1969

@Roland4 - then it seems to be a Win 8 problem. I don't use it so I cannot help, sorry.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2014

I have seen, in quite a few threads, posts by people who have programs that worked in Win 7 and now won't work in Win 8.

I have seen posts where people suggest running Win 8 in compatibility mode to make it think it is an earlier version of windows. Have you tried that?

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited October 2014

chohole said:
    I have seen, in quite a few threads, posts by people who have programs that worked in Win 7 and now won't work in Win 8.

I have seen posts where people suggest running Win 8 in compatibility mode to make it think it is an earlier version of windows. Have you tried that?

How can i make this "running Win 8 in compatibility mode" ?

I have make windows tests with windows 8 tryed to running the installer, without a result.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

I have just made this, but without success. The result is always the same (look images above).