Uberenvironment and Genesis does not render after 9 hours

BubbaRichardBubbaRichard Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have a simple scene with two Genesis characters and a lot of little props and an uber environment. I started a render last night and when I checked on it this morning it was hung at 99%. I waited until it went over 9 hours, nearing 10 and it still hadn't moved off of 99%. I tried rendering each character with the same uber environment and nothing else. hangs at 99%. Anyone else experience this?

Bubba

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

I have a simple scene with two Genesis characters and a lot of little props and an uber environment. I started a render last night and when I checked on it this morning it was hung at 99%. I waited until it went over 9 hours, nearing 10 and it still hadn't moved off of 99%. I tried rendering each character with the same uber environment and nothing else. hangs at 99%. Anyone else experience this?

Bubba

I've had renders take over a week to complete on very high end hardware. Several times it won't move past 0% for 18+ hours. Granted that these are very complex scenes (in some cases over 200 lights).

Check for things like transparency/translucency (hair is bad about this), and reflections. How many lights do you have in your scene and how many are set to cast shadows? In your props look for "glass" in picture frames that may not be necessary. Where possible, replace textures with shaders. Watch for complex bump/displacement maps on surfaces, these can increase your rendering time greatly.

Kendall

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Items with transparency maps are a killer when using UE.

Check your scene for them I tend to find them on hair and tress and plants what I do is then apply uber surface to those items (remember to hold the ctrl key so they you don't replace textures and for the surfaces with trans maps you can turn off AO and raytracing (remember to make sure all the other settings are ok) this should the speed up the rendering

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

If it's been at 99% for that long then it usually means something has caused 3Delight ( the render engine) to fail on the last couple of buckets.

• Tempest!Tempest! Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

This may or may not be useful for you but I had a render halt at 99% recently. The render was practically complete, no black buckets anywhere, but it wouldn't save (by not save, I mean that it would not finish or write the rendered image into DS temp folder).

I managed to save the render easily enough by taking a bunch of screencaps of the maximized render window and patching them together in photoshop. I had to kill the process for DS (it may have finished by itself, but I had better things to do than wait).

The reason it hung was because I had a big environment prop (simple plane in itself) with very strong displacement applied to it which (almost) maxed out my RAM (the OS slowed down to a crawl too). Without the displacement the render process used only half the amount of memory and rendered in a fraction of the time too.

Moral of the story, check the memory usage and take screencaps if you can. Still, a single figure not finish rendering sounds weird even with UE.

Post edited by Tempest! on