Where's Filament?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,623

I installed 4.15 on my Mac, but can't see filament as a display option from the pull-down menu. Does it have to be installed separately?  Or is this a Mac thing?

Comments

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,340
    edited June 2021

It's a Mac thing for now, it is supposed to be included in the next DAZ Studio update that will be compatible with Big Sur, hopefully in the next few months.

Ongoing discussions on it are here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/453421/why-8-9-months-for-a-big-sur-update#latest

-- Walt Sterdan

Post edited by wsterdan on
  • DekeDeke Posts: 1,623

Thanks for the link. I'm not running Big Sur...not even sure it will run on my older Mac Pro Towers. 4.15 boots up fine, but no Filament, which I assume is a plug-in issue. 

Deke said:

Thanks for the link. I'm not running Big Sur...not even sure it will run on my older Mac Pro Towers. 4.15 boots up fine, but no Filament, which I assume is a plug-in issue. 

In order to get Filment to work, they need to update their version of the Qt that's needed to keep D|S running on both Mac and Windows machine, which theyre doing anyway to run Big Sur. The two aren't directly related, but both require the Qt update in  order to run either.

-- Walt Sterdan

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,623

What's Qt and how do I update it?

Deke said:

What's Qt and how do I update it?

You and I don't, DAZ has to. It's a programming framework used by DAZ to help them maintain a consistent user interface between Windows and the Mac OS. Essentially DAZ has spent many months rewriting much ot the program to use the newer framework, necessary to be able to update the Mac version to use the latest OS and at the same time make Filament possible as well. Mac users might be able to update their DAZ Studio without requireing the latest OS, but we'll have to see.

I wish I had more information for you (boy do I ever) but for now, it's "wait and see".

For what it's worth, I installed VM Fusion on a couple of my Macs so that I could test Filament for a project I'm in the middle of, and for me at least Filament is worth waiting for.

-- Walt Sterdan 

• deankutdeankut Posts: 298

Is Filament available now?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited April 2022

deankut said:

Is Filament available now?

For 64 bit WIndows, yes. If you mean for Macs, no. If you want to track what is happening keep an eye on the changelog - any addition of Filament for Mac will certainly be noted there http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on