What does Ps and PoserCF mean?

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited December 1969 in New Users

In the Install Manager, some items appear multiple times and have things like Ps or Poser CF after them (as well as the DAZ version)

I assume these are for Poser, not DAZ Studio, so I don't bother installing them. Is that right?

Why would they bother giving you the Poser verison of content when I am obviously a DAZ Studio user?

Can anyone explain that?

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Why would they bother giving you the Poser verison of content when I am obviously a DAZ Studio user?

But wouldn't you be vexed if you bought poser later and because you had been a Studio user today you never had the poser version offered to you?

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

Khory said:

But wouldn't you be vexed if you bought poser later and because you had been a Studio user today you never had the poser version offered to you?

Umm.. I guess.. But it seems a bit of an unlikely scenario to build in.

So just to be clear, which versions do I need to install? Just the ones that don't say Poser or Ps after them?

It seems unnecessarily complicated.

What does DS after it mean? Do I need those versions?

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Rather than be irritated that they give us options why not just set you DIM up to only show the studio files? The gear at the top and then download in the pop up. Just uncheck poser and other unrelated program files.

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,300
    edited December 2014

You can set DIM to only show you Daz packages, and if any PS files show up in your list then they are needed - there are a few where you have to install the Poser version and then the Daz materials, mainly older products, but a recent PC item that was converted (sleigh) the reins wouldn't convert and you still need the Poser version.

edit - beaten to it :-)

Post edited by 3Ddreamer on
    edited December 1969

Ok, thanks both of you.

Can I ask what DS after content means? Some of the content has no letters after is, some has Ps, some has PoserCF

Is there a list somewhere explaining what all these letters means, so I can figure out which versions I need to install?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,470
    edited December 1969

In general, if there's no CF, Poser or PS means a full, stand-alone, Poser version and DS or DSON Core or DAZ Studio means a full, stand-alone, DAZ Studio version. If you see CF then that means that it contains only a partial product - a PoserCF will have the files needed for the DSON Importer to load items in to Poser, along with the DS files, while a DAZ StudioCF will probably be a set of materials for use on content that you load from the Poser library (and a BryceCF is a Bryce scene into which the matching DS item can be imported). You will also see the occasional legacy package - that is another DS set, for older versions of DS.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

In DAZ Install Manager on the Ready to Download tab there's a button in the upper left labeled "Download Filters" -- click that, and make sure only the software you use is checked. Then you will only see the versions you need for the software you use. Sometimes you will still need the Poser version even when you use DAZ Studio -- in that case the Ps version will be listed, even though your Download Filters are only set for DAZ Studio.

edited December 1969

The letters commonly used are:

DS -- this version is in DAZ Studio format; sometimes that means it's only for DS4.5+, sometimes it will work in older versions of DS also.
    Ps -- this version is in Poser format; sometimes you need that version in DS as well
    PoserCF -- this is a companion file for Poser users who want to use DS-format content in Poser. Poser users need to install both the DS version and the PoserCF.
    StudioCF -- this is a companion file for DAZ Studio users, usually DS-optimized material presets to use with the Poser-format files. DAZ Studio users need to install both the Ps version and the StudioCF.
    Legacy -- this is for older versions of DAZ Studio when the DS version is only for DS4.5+

edited December 1969

great. I'll just use the filters. Many thanks

• jasonkjasonk Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

Except the DIM Download Filters don't work. You can un-check all Poser selections, yet even for products that have a "DS" version, it will still show you "Ps" files and "PoserCF" files. And why should it ever show "PoserCF" files when you want to work in Studio? At least a "Ps" file would makes sense if there were no "DS" file.

edited December 1969

jasonk said:
    Except the DIM Download Filters don't work. You can un-check all Poser selections, yet even for products that have a "DS" version, it will still show you "Ps" files and "PoserCF" files. And why should it ever show "PoserCF" files when you want to work in Studio? At least a "Ps" file would makes sense if there were no "DS" file.

That's very strange. Which versions of DS do you have checked?

edited December 1969

The only 2 Studio options I've asked it to show are 4 and 4.5+.

I tried to tell Daz tech support that the filters don't work, and I got a crazy answer like [paraphrasing here] "you might need the PoserCF files in Studio, you'll just have to try without them, and if the product breaks, then you need the PoserCF file in Studio" (!!!), and then [paraphrasing here] "DIM knows if you need the PoserCF file in Studio, so even if you try to filter-out Poser files, DIM will still show them to you anyway because it knows you need the PoserCF file for Studio".

Makes you wonder if you can ever trust anything tech support ever says, if they can't even answer basic questions properly.

edited December 1969

jasonk said:
    The only 2 Studio options I've asked it to show are 4 and 4.5+.

I can see why you're getting Ps files -- lot of times the DS version is for 4.5+, so if you have 4.0 checked you'll get the Ps version also. Do you use 4.0 on another machine?

Not sure why you're getting PoserCF's if you don't have DSON Importer for Poser checked -- I ran into one PoserCF which was tagged for DS4.5 also, but that was corrected, so I doubt that happens a lot. Are you sure they aren't StudioCF's? Can you post a screenshot of your download filters?

edited December 1969

DSON wasn't checked. When I un-checked DS 4, all the "Ps" went away (except 1), and all the "PoserCF" went away. There is still a "(Poser)" showing :P

>Do you use 4.0 on another machine?

No.

>Are you sure they aren't StudioCF's?

I'm sure.

>Can you post a screenshot of your download filters?

Checked: DS 4.5+, Hexagon, Install Manager, Lightwave, Photoshop, Vue, General, Software, Plugin, Mac 64-bit, Private Build.

All I actually use are DS 4.7, & GIMP.

edited December 1969

Is the remaining Poser version one for which there is a DS version also?

edited December 1969

The "Dystopia City Blocks 001-010 (Poser)" file has only that version and no other. And no StudioCF.

The "Ps" file...there's
    Jewell Hair for V4 Ps
    Jewell Hair for Genesis 2 Female

That's it.

edited December 1969

jasonk said:
    The "Dystopia City Blocks 001-010 (Poser)" file has only that version and no other. And no StudioCF.

The "Ps" file...there's
    Jewell Hair for V4 Ps
    Jewell Hair for Genesis 2 Female

That's it.

Okay, both of those don't have a separate DS version, so that's correct.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,470
    edited December 1969

The Poser version of the Dystopia block is so-called because there was also a Lightwave version.

edited December 1969

Does it make sense that any PoserCF should show when I'm filtering for Studio?

If I filter for DS 4, I see a PoserCF for "Elven Arcana for Genesis". That goes away when I filter for DS 4.5+.

edited December 1969

jasonk said:
    Does it make sense that any PoserCF should show when I'm filtering for Studio?

If I filter for DS 4, I see a PoserCF for "Elven Arcana for Genesis". That goes away when I filter for DS 4.5+.

That sounds like a mistake. If you hover over the item in DIM does it show DS4.0 in the tags?

edited December 1969

Yes. It has an Active Tag of DS 4, and Other Tags of DS 3, DS <3, Poser 9+ and Poser <9.</p>

edited December 1969

Would you mind submitting a ticket to technical support, letting them know that the PoserCF is tagged incorrectly?

edited December 1969

Sure

edited December 1969

Thank you very much.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,462
    edited December 1969

As I have at one point installed content for DS4 I think I have more files than I need. Going down the Installed list (sorted by name) I see Ps following DS. I'm hunting down a recipe to remove Ps files I can get rid of. I'm not sure if this is the best approach or if it's worth the time. However if it goes badly I will be able to reverse it.

Most of the Ps installs are smaller than their DS counterparts and most have the same files needed for loading in DS. At least the ones I've examined (Show installed files...) so far all have geometry and texture files. That is where I've had problems before with content not loading- the Poser geometry or textures are missing.

I'm going to try and uninstall these Ps files unless they are larger than the DS packages. These are a few I've noticed that are quite a bit larger:
    Amarseda Hair Ps
    Carnival Midway Interiors Ps
    Children of Aten 2 Ps
    Deco Mirror Ps
    Dragons Tower Ps
    Morphing Rocks and Formations Ps

I know these install sizes are not accurate as far as the room they take up because the texture files both live in the same place. Hopefully if this works I'll be able to get rid of all the obj files and rely on the remaining dsf instead.

This will also (hopefully) clear up many of the yellow triangles in Smart Content.

Anyway here goes...

edited December 1969

If you're only using DS4.5+. for example, go to the Installed tab and click the "Products" box to select all, then right-click on an item and choose "Deselect Installed" > "All Tagged DS4.5+". That should leave the only items selected as those which aren't needed for DS4.5+, so you can uninstall them. There may be a few products that aren't tagged correctly, but you can add them back as needed.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,462
    edited December 1969

Oh yes- That brought up more items to remove!

Most of the items remaining checked end with Ps or StudioCF. There are a few that have no Id at the end, I'll be careful with those and continue to clean house.

• lorddayradonlorddayradon Posts: 446
    edited October 2020

Ps -- this version is in Poser format; sometimes you need that version in DS as well

Yeah I know this is old, but I'm confused.  I as rule stopped installing these as a pure DAZ user, with the assumed understanding that they are NOT DAZ required files to function and use.  This is second time I've read the forum and the quandry I'm left with is that in the 'filters' I have ALL Poser versions unchecked in the filter and I still have about 125 Ps files waiting for download.  Some I thought were do to the StudioCF version and required both, but upon going through some ( I have like 1400+ installed) none of the remaing Ps version have a studioCF file, downloaded or installed.  So since I'm not showing any version of a file required by any version of Poser,  is Ps a poser file? I started to think it stood for Purchase Sucker file.

Post edited by lorddayradon on

Yeah I know this is old, but I'm confused.  I as rule stopped installing these as a pure DAZ user, with the assumed understanding that they are NOT DAZ required files to function and use.  This is second time I've read the forum and the quandry I'm left with is that in the 'filters' I have ALL Poser versions unchecked in the filter and I still have about 125 Ps files waiting for download.  Some I thought were do to the StudioCF version and required both, but upon going through some ( I have like 1400+ installed) none of the remaing Ps version have a studioCF file, downloaded or installed.  So since I'm not showing any version of a file required by any version of Poser,  is Ps a poser file? I started to think it stood for Purchase Sucker file.

A bunch of packages were mistakenly tagged as "Connect Available" which shoudn't have been.

• So just to be clear: PoserCF means that it will work in Poser?
    I've installed both files in the same directory and it seems this is not the case.. at least for me.
    Am I missing something?