Learning Bryce - Are These Good Tutorials?

luci45luci45 Posts: 2,738
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi. I am a DS user. I am not a Bryce user, have tried it a few times over the years and never could get a good render. I always got confused and frustrated with the materials and sky labs, among other things. I want to learn it as I have noticed a lot of good renders done with Bryce.

Bryce Mentoring DVD - Videos, Scenes and Resources by David Brinnen and Horo is 70% right now and I am thinking about buying it. Would it be a good way to learn about light, surfaces and making landscapes in Bryce?

Capture.JPG
296 x 416 - 34K

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited December 1969

I don't have this DVD myself, but I did see many wonderful tutorials by these two masters of Bryce, many of which are available online.
    No better way to start than with the tutorials by Horo and David!

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

hansmar said:
    I don't have this DVD myself, but I did see many wonderful tutorials by these two masters of Bryce, many of which are available online.
    No better way to start than with the tutorials by Horo and David!

LOL. Thanks. I just watched a David Brinnen 20 minute beginner tutorial on YouTube and learned more then I ever knew before. It resolved the problems I had and makes Bryce look enjoyable. Very exciting.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited January 2015

Hi Luci45.
    As a Bryce user myself for years, I have learnt more by watching David Brinnens and Horo's tutorials
    than looking around the rest of the internet for help. You can't go wrong watching them.
    They are added to all the time, always something new and interesting to watch and learn.
    They really do make it a more enjoyable program to use.

A lot of the videos are available on Youtube, so if you are not sure, look there first.
    Just type david brinnen in the search box.

Post edited by StuartB on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Welcome, Luci. As one who has searched the internet for Bryce tutorials, I've found several presenters I return to. But none more often than those produced by David Brinnen and Horo. Not only do the add to their work, as Stuart said, but the material they present is well thought out.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Hi Luci welcome to the forum. I echo what the others have already said about David's and Horo's tutorials.They are awesome and a fun way to learn Bryce.

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

I have some free tutorials which are aimed at the beginner to Bryce and includes ones on the different labs in Bryce. They don't cover some of the more advanced stuff in David and Horos but they might help get started. The link is in my signature below. Welcome to Bryce! It's a great program (not just for landscapes) and is easier to learn to use than many other programs out there (in my opinion). If you get stuck there are lots of friendly people on the forums here who may be able to help too.

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

Hi, Luci!

As others have said, there are many very good tutorials on Bryce in various places around the Internet. However, I guarantee you, you will not go wrong with ANYTHING from Mr. Brinnen or Mr. Wernli. By all means, if you have the spare cash, BUY IT!

If you go into the default material and atmosphere libraries that come with Bryce going way back to early versions, and look at the item descriptions, you will see that many of those were created by Mr. Brinnen himself. What better reference do you need?

These two gentlemen you named have given so many of us SO much guidance over the years, it's a wonder they have time for themselves. I cannot praise these two pioneers enough. If you can't learn Bryce from them, you won't learn it any place. If you think you learned something elsewhere, these two can expound on it.

Mr. Wernli and Mr. Brinnen both have different, perhaps even contrasting styles of presenting their tutorials. Mr. Brinnen's tutorials are not as scripted as Mr. Wernli's, but you get to see a lot more trial and error, which we all need to learn. We have to learn from the mistakes of others, because we don't have time to make them all ourselves. On the other hand, Mr. Wernli is more concise and deliberate, and takes the time to not just show, for example, where to click, but alternate methods, such as keyboard shortcuts. When doing that, he even tells which keys to use for both PC and MAC, though he demonstrates on PC. That takes a comprehensive knowledge of what he is addressing.

Also, everything posted here by Mr. Brinnen and Mr. Wernli is awe inspiring. Stick around.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Wow, thanks so much everyone!

I watched a few more of the David Brinnen YouTube videos and am very excited. The best part is that I was able to follow in Bryce & get results. No steps were left out or glossed over and neither did he waste time on any point. I mention this because I have seen too many poor training videos.

So I bought the mentioned pack and downloaded the free golden light Christmas one. These sould keep me busy for a while. LOL.