Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,973

This is the test I performed:

1. Load Genesis 9
    2. Load dForce Casual Style Girl Outfit fit to G9
    3. Select the top and pant in the Scene pane
    4. Open Parameters pane Display section
    5. Observe that Visible in Simulation is On; leave it On
    6. Open the dForce Companion pane (ManFriday's dForce Companion V2.0.2 (2021-05-28)
    7. Observe that Casual Style Girl Top and Casual Style Girl Pants are listed and have the Sim and Vis and Smooth all checked
    8. Click Simulate checked button
    9. Observe that the simulation is performed fine
    10. Open Parameters pane Display section
    11. Change Visible in Simulation to Off for top and pants
    12. Open the dForce Companion pane again
    13. Observe that Casual Style Girl Top and Casual Style Girl Pants are listed and have the Sim checked, the Vis unchecked, and Smooth checked
    14. Click Simulate checked button
    15. An error is displayed, as expected, because Vis is unchecked for all dForce itrems. There is nothing visible to simulate. The error message instructs me to turn Vis on.
    16. Open Parameters pane Display section
    17. Change Visible in Simulation to On for top and pants
    18. Open the dForce Companion pane again
    19. Observe that Casual Style Girl Top and Casual Style Girl Pants are listed and have the Sim checked, the Vis checked, and Smooth checked
    20. Click Simulate checked button
    21. Observe that simulation is performed fine.

So, I cannot reproduce your problem, at least with this particular garment set.

What other panes are open at the same time as the dForce Companion pane? Is the Parameters pane open at the same time? In my workspace, dForce Companion and Parameters are in the same docked group, so they are never active at the same time. Maybe if you have them both open, there is some conflict that I can't see. It seems like I remember some conflict between the Simulation Settings pane and the dForce Companion pane, where I would change settings on one and it would not be reflected on the other. Man Friday said he didn't anticipate anyone having both open at once, if I recall correctly.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,482

As I said, I really appreciate the trouble you are going to to try to narrow down this issue but it is kind of moot now because I am finding it easier to work with the standard Simulation settings (along with the viewport visibility settings) than to try to figure out the quirks of this add-on. It joins a host of other "helpful" plugins and scripts that are sitting in my library unused and essentailly a waste of time and money. I had problems with the version 1 release of this product so it is my own silly fault for falling for the tempting sale price and making the same mistake twice. You are spending more time and effort on my issues than I am and that is very thoughtful of you but I'm already past it.

Just in case it helps anyone else, I'll try to answer a couple of your questions.

1. Yes, my parameters pane is almost always open - it is where I do most of the work. My Parameters and Companion panes are (were) on opposite sides of the Viewport.

2. It is very likely that I tweaked some settings in the Simulation pane as I had the Companion open so, yes, that might have been a factor. TBH, if things like that are a problem, then not enough thought has gone into the design at some point.

3. I had the problem with the bed cover item. I tried a different bed cover (a dForce Duvet) and had the same probelm. I didn't notice anything with clothing though so it might be something to do with non-rigged objects although I was already aware of the check boxes for non-rigged, etc. and my tests were not as extensive as yours seem to be. 

Be sure to return the product for a refund, if won't be using it. Nobody expects you to pay for something that only causes you grief. I don't regret any time I spent trying to help, even though we didn't reach a successful conclusion.

barbult said:

Be sure to return the product for a refund, if won't be using it. Nobody expects you to pay for something that only causes you grief. I don't regret any time I spent trying to help, even though we didn't reach a successful conclusion.

You have always been helpful even if you do tend to highlight my ignorance occasionally, so thank you. I tend to hang on to things I bought at a big discount - who knows, I might be tempted to drag it out of mothballs at some point.

If there's a point to my posts highlighting this issue, it is probably to say that the DAZ team should be including better designed tools without the need for PAs to provide add-ons to enable basic tasks. It's now years since dForce appeared and I'll grant that I have fewer explosions now (although part of the reason is that we have all become wary of collisions and intersections) but otherwise, dForce has not improved at all in that time.  We need a better cloth sim which allows for dragging cloth during the sim, better (multi-layer) collision detection and, most of all, a dramatic improvement in simulation times.

Marvelous Designer charges a lot for those features, and Daz doesn't charge us anything for dForce, so I guess we are actually getting more than we paid for, if you look at it that way. It would be great to see that kind of capability added to dForce,though, I agree. I imagine Daz has a small development team mostly focused on bringing DS 5 to life. I think of PA creators of plugins and tools as an extension of that team. Those additional creative minds bring us a lot of extra capability. And when I think that they do all that work on speculation that they might get sales, I am amazed at the reasonable prices we pay for those things.

Well, there are arguments both ways. Here's mine: I pay a lot - almost all of my meagre spending budget - on this hobby. That's buying mostly content, rather than software. The DAZ marketing model is deliberately geared to that spending pattern and why it has been relatively successful compared to the likes of Poser, for example. People with lots of spare cash buy ZBrush, Substance and Maya while I make do with DAZ Studio and Blender. I think that I represent a large proportion of the DAZ demographic and I will keep buying from DAZ as long as DAZ Studio meets my needs. Should an Open Source alternative suddenly arrive which can offer better features than DAZ Studio, of course I would try that - even at the risk of abandoning my considerable content library. I need things like dForce, IRay and the animation tools to keep pace with the technology and the free Blender is already better than DAZ Studio at animating and cloth simulation. Nevertheless, I prefer to work in one application so I don't export to Blender to do those things. That's not to say that the temptation to do so isn't increasing.

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 489

So this error pops up when I use DForce Companion SPECIFICALLY when the old props by Jack Tomalin+Daz are in the scene. THe Simulation works fine, it just throws this error.

dforce companion error.png
    406 x 287 - 14K
  • Some of Jack's sets have non-standard hierarchies (they don't have a single root bone) - it's possible that the plug-in is making an assumption there, or in some other respect, and so getting invalid data. Do you have some specific examples?

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 489

Richard Haseltine said:

Some of Jack's sets have non-standard hierarchies (they don't have a single root bone) - it's possible that the plug-in is making an assumption there, or in some other respect, and so getting invalid data. Do you have some specific examples?

West Park Ward Iray, West Park Iray, West Park Lobby Iray.

Basically any promo scene for the iray versions.

• Well, the main West Park certainly has multiple root bones, though that doesn't prove that that is the issue.

• querzquerz Posts: 0

I just recently bought the dForce Companion 2.0 because it was in the Fastgrab sale, but I don't seem to be able to install it.

Since there doesn't seem to be a way to install it through the Install Manager, I downloaded the executable and executed it, but the plugin doesn't show up in DAZ Studio. There is no option to open the dForce Companion Pane, and under "Help > About Installed Plugins" the plugin doesn't show up.
    There is also no matching .dll file in "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins".
    I tried running the installer as administrator, but with the same result.

Is there any other way I can install it?

• @ManFriday If you ever do a version 3.0 then having a checkbox that will hide hands would be a great time saver

querz said:

I just recently bought the dForce Companion 2.0 because it was in the Fastgrab sale, but I don't seem to be able to install it.

Since there doesn't seem to be a way to install it through the Install Manager, I downloaded the executable and executed it, but the plugin doesn't show up in DAZ Studio. There is no option to open the dForce Companion Pane, and under "Help > About Installed Plugins" the plugin doesn't show up.
    There is also no matching .dll file in "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins".
    I tried running the installer as administrator, but with the same result.

Is there any other way I can install it?

It installs just fine with DIM. Do you have Plugin enabled in DIM's Download Filters?

Screenshot 2024-08-23 121140.jpg
    760 x 773 - 89K
    Screenshot 2024-08-23 120914.jpg
    1109 x 417 - 80K

shanecourtrille said:

@ManFriday If you ever do a version 3.0 then having a checkbox that will hide hands would be a great time saver

And all the finger and thumb bones.