Cut it out

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,328

I've even used PD Howler to create animated AVI maps for Rosie 4 - I used an animated rain filter to make water dripping along the skin. It was just a quick test, and it worked.

I wanted to see if it could be done, and to learn the workflow in case I need it. 

I will, but haven't got to that part of the story yet.

• I agree with the sentiment from Dartanbeck - that all it would take is a word from DAZ and it would be easy to offer assistance to any official update.

Many presets, objects, scenes and much documentation already awaits a new release.  I myself envision a new user manual update.

but....

I think one thing to consider - is that no matter how great many of our user ideas are... let's agree - some 'open source platforms' can often feel down right icckkyy.

--When everybody gets to input ---eewwwww!!! Casserole.

DAZ did get Carrara to here.

Distant_Star said:

DAZ did get Carrara to here.

LOL!!! Eeewwww!!! Casserole!!! Love that!!! LOL

I really love that you added that last bit. There has been a lot of negative feedback toward Daz 3d's work on Carrara - mainly that it was lacking.

I've taken part in the Carrara 8 and 8.5 beta and spoken with several of the team developing them due to certain reports I've made. The old bug tracker that Daz 3d used to use back then was really cool. We could see what was reported, what has been assigned to the team and any progress made to any of those reports. 

Beyond that, I came to Carrara for a fraction of what it's capable of. I was happy to have that. I even told myself then that I'd even be happy if all I could get was Carrara 6 (which I also have now). 

When many people were rampantly upset that Daz 3d was working on 8.5 to incorporate Genesis technology/compatibility, I really tried my best to quiet down their hatred - until Daz told me not to. But these devs were doing So Much more than only adding Genesis (which alone is an amazing, impressive feat!!!) that really made 8.5 beta so much more fun to work in, that when I went back into 8, I closed it and uninstalled it.

Carrara 8 beta was 64 bit. so right from the start I couldn't run my brand new version of Carrara 7. I barely saw the UI of 7 because I was brand new to Windows 7 and it popped up some warning about Aero, which the Carrara 8 beta didn't do. Sure, I realized later that the Aero warning really was nothing - it just turned off the Aero features of Windows while I was in Carrara or something silly like that, but still... the development team was a driving force to watch and it was a real treat installing each new iteration and noticing (or not, in some cases) all of their hard work.

Spooky (Lead Dev then) and I even built our AMD 8-core Zambezi computers together online behind the scenes. That was fun! I got the cheapest octa-core Zambezi while he got the most expensive - we both reveled in delight! 

Yes, the Antoinne Clappier-led Eovia made an amazing Carrara - they really, really did! Many of the features of Carrara 6 (so I was told) have come along with the buy-out, so that first Daz 3d release had a good head start. I never want to take any credit away from that wonderful team - they truly were amazing. I'd love to see more of that developmental vigor come back.

But to say that Daz 3d didn't do squat for Carrara is entirely incorrect. They helped to make this my favorite reason to even turn on a computer!

Keeping Carrara alive is my only concern now. But if they start a development cycle on it again, I'll buy into it as I always have before!

Thanks Daz 3d!!! :)

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 192

Distant_Star said:

The 'sweet-spot' to grab Modifiers is located under the first letter - on the line.

Shown in red on the picture.

I always use the area between the fold/unfold triangle and the title to select the modifier.

Distant_Star said:

Can anyone answer this?

I made a suggestion to make the Modifiers be able to drag and drop & reorder...

In general... would this be possible using the current developer access to the code??  or is this source code level??

If you want to reorder a modifier simply 'click and hold' to select and then drag it to its intended position. It's easier if all the modifiers are folded (rolled-up).

Distant_Star said:

Thanks for the suggestion Dartanbeck - I did just now try that.  It seems like what I am looking may need access to the root code.

Even a toggle on/off for the Modifier would be a great start.

***Side note -- I myself have limited programing skills.

Some of the modifiers - like Anythings Grows - support an 'enabled' checkbox that functions like a on/off toggle. Adding a on/off toggle to a modifier requires access and legal rights to the source code.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

RuudL said:

Distant_Star said:

Can anyone answer this?

I made a suggestion to make the Modifiers be able to drag and drop & reorder...

In general... would this be possible using the current developer access to the code??  or is this source code level??

If you want to reorder a modifier simply 'click and hold' to select and then drag it to its intended position. It's easier if all the modifiers are folded (rolled-up).

Whoa!  Never knew this, thank you!  :) 

• A thousand thanks RuddL!!!!!

I did not know it could do this either Jonstark...

RuddL is correct -"I always use the area between the fold/unfold triangle and the title to select the modifier."

When you are over the modifier the pointer will be a "finger point" - when you move the mouse down to the edge it will turn into an arrow - that is when the modifier tab can be grabbed and reordered.

!!!

• exactly Dartanbeck --- !!!!

so... we're actually running Carrara 9 beta then, right? ;)

edited September 2021

CARRARA 9

Action Figures Sold Separately

Void in States where Prohibited

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • also Dartanbeck ---thanks for the great follow up post with some Carrara history.

- I love me some DAZ3d too!!!

Your website has helped me so much by having the plugins available.

The inspiration to me is not how many there are - it's how FEW 

After all the dust has settled and users have left the Carrara platform - Carrara IS a standalone workhorse.

...you have to have standards - I mean have you seen 'American Idol' pre- auditions? or the DAZ store freee section?

• Dartanbeck said:

That's why I'm here. 

• Thanks again to RuudL!  Got my #1 wishlist.

While it is a super great addition to the software -  

• -...its a great addition to the community!

Dartanbeck said:

Actually the ability to reorder the modifiers was already available in Carrara version 2!  Maybe even in version 1, but I can't confirm that because I don't own a copy of version 1.

On #2 I'm brewing on a plan to disable the Storyboard room. I'm not sure yet that it will work. 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,967

RuudL said:

On #2 I'm brewing on a plan to disable the Storyboard room. I'm not sure yet that it will work. 

Looking forward to that

• RuudL said:

That would be great RuudL!

I think the reorder modifier feature was lost behind the tricky mouse area ...and also --

I don't think this 'ability' is mentioned in the more recent user manuals.

Perhaps there is equal lost wisdom with the Storyboard.

There are so many Carrara features that are so well thought out. - They gave Storyboard its own ROOM!

Whether it was already built in or not -- If Storyboard becomes a usuable feature then it's Carrara 9 Beta *Plus -Dartanbeck;)

RuudL said:

What would be cool is if the Storyboard room actually became a Storyboard Room!

Instead of showing frames within the loaded scene, just have a room where we can load in our own images and put text under and directly on top of them, with arrows and circle art tools to plunk anywhere over the whole thing as of the whole main window had a gless top covering the tiles below.

edited September 2021

Dartanbeck said:

RuudL said:

What would be cool is if the Storyboard room actually became a Storyboard Room!

Instead of showing frames within the loaded scene, just have a room where we can load in our own images and put text under and directly on top of them, with arrows and circle art tools to plunk anywhere over the whole thing as of the whole main window had a gless top covering the tiles below.

...and then have the ability to render it out as a single page(s) as well as a timed slideshow movie 

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited October 2021

GO Storyboard GO! ... and it's gone!

If you want to disable/remove the Storyboard room, now you can. Just download and install the noStoryboard plug-in from my sourceforge page (https://sourceforge.net/projects/carrara-plug-ins-adventures/files/). 
    There is only a macOS 64-bit version available, for I don't have access to a windows system. Perhaps someone is willing to build the windows version. Anyone? 

Carrara ProScreenSnapz101.png
    371 x 85 - 13K
    Carrara ProScreenSnapz102.png
    371 x 255 - 44K
    Post edited by RuudL on
  • RuudL said:

There is only a macOS 64-bit version available, for I don't have access to a windows system. Perhaps someone is willing to build the windows version. Anyone? 

I tried to clone your code, but I got the following return:

Cloning into 'carrara-plug-ins-adventures-code'...
    warning: You appear to have cloned an empty repository. 

And it's indeed empty :-)

• RuudL said:

GO Storyboard GO! ... and it's gone!

If you want to disable/remove the Storyboard room, now you can. Just download and install the noStoryboard plug-in from my sourceforge page (https://sourceforge.net/projects/carrara-plug-ins-adventures/files/). 

That's awesome! Thanks.

Philemo_Carrara said:

RuudL said:

I tried to clone your code, but I got the following return:

Cloning into 'carrara-plug-ins-adventures-code'...
    warning: You appear to have cloned an empty repository. 

And it's indeed empty :-)

Thanks, Philemo for picking up the windows build. Much appreciated.

I've just updated the repository.  

• RuudL said:

Thanks, Philemo for picking up the windows build. Much appreciated.

I've just updated the repository.  

No problem. So you reused the ClasId of of the module you wanted to remove wink. A common mistake turned into a feature. Quite clever yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,967

thank uou @RuudL and @Philemo_Carrara 

that's a very useful tool!

always amazes me what gets done in/for carrara !

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,056
    edited October 2021

it is awesome to see something that is annoying can be entirely removed yes 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,996

is there a link to the windows version

or is it for mac only?

thanks either way for your efforts.. smiley