[Solved] Need help in understanding on how to use decals

shg0816_13461e8196shg0816_13461e8196 Posts: 298
edited September 2021 in New Users

I know it's a lengthy title, but I need some simple instructions on how to use tattoo/graffiti decals in DAZ Studio. I know what they are, but in reading a product description on how to make them visible, I get lost at that point.

Also, in the same product description, it says I need to move the decal around when I pose the character. Does this mean that each time I move a character into a new position, I have to redo/move the decal?

The reason I ask is, there are some graffitti decals I want to apply to some buildings, but there is a tattoo I might want made for G8 figures where I need it applied to a specific location, so I am trying to decide if a decal, or layer (similar to the inked tattoo series) would be easier.

Post edited by shg0816_13461e8196 on

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,444

Decals can be tricky to master. First, the decal must be parented to something for it to apply. The Z-Axis (the blue one) must be pointing away from the surface. The decal's bounding box must intersect the surface upon which it is to be projected. You can only view them in Iray Preview mode or Iray renders. The default parameters will satisfy most conditions, but if using a body part (e.g., arm or leg) you can parent the decal to that node so that it will at least follow the movement, if any. Adjustments might still be required, though, because they are projected onto the surface, and won't necessarily follow surface distortions.

Try that and see how it goes. I have never really figured out the different projection parameters, they never seem do what I expect. Anyone know where (or if) that is documented at all?

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

https://raytracing-docs.nvidia.com/iray/manual/index.html#decals#decals

If you're talking about a KindredArts product, they always include a "Standalone Decal" prop which sets up all the complex stuff for you. I still have no idea how to create one from scratch.

Decals will work fine as tattoos if you're just rendering one posed figure, but if it involves animation or sequential art then forget it. The moment the skin deforms, the projection will be thrown off. Better to just use an LIE.

• That's what I am thinking, as it will involved sequential art.  Thanks!

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

If you want to make an LIE tattoo, you can use Blender to place a decal on a Genesis mesh and then bake it so it projects correctly when overlaid atop a texture map. Unfortunately it's too complex to describe in a single post, but if you look up texturing baking videos you should be able to figure it out.

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,130
    edited June 9

Ouch, no previews? Gotta to be a way... and there is. 
    But if you're wanting to use a decal on a flat surface just create a plane and put the decal on it and you can see it and render it. 
    Kindred Arts moss decal on the side of a boxcar, well actually on a plane on the side of the box car. 
    And then just a plain old image on a plane with cutout option and on side of same car. 
    And I could see it all before I rendered. 
    And since I wanted the image on both sides of the boxcar just did a duplicate node>rotate Y 180> and took the current location z350 and changed it to z-350 and bingo done. 

decal on plane on boxcar copy.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 1M
    decal on plane on boxcar 3 copy.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 840K
    Post edited by alan bard newcomer on