Can Carrara... (Realism mini-challenges) CHALLENGE THREAD

mschackmschack Posts: 337
edited October 2021 in Carrara Discussion

I wanted to create a thread where people can post an actual image or idea to challenge you (and Carrara) to try and push the bounds of realism and to possibly in the process share techniques.

I often get these small ideas for renders, not full scenes but just ideas for environment, shading or lighting or how could I model a thing, and see how close I could get.

There is no need to duplicate the source image in any way, just get the main idea across. 

There is no voting, no prizes, no time limit, nothing organised, do whatever challenge you like in any order or just use it for ideas.  No need to even post your results if you do not wish.

At the very least you can just come here looking for ideas when you open Carrara to that empty scene.

I would say when you post a 'challenge' here post with Challenge # so renderers can later reference the challenge number, again no need to do things in order or in any time frame.

I will make a seperate Render Thread for people to post their results, comments etc. and keep challenges together here in one place.

Render Thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/525881/can-carrara-realism-mini-challenges-render-thread

Thanks!

Post edited by mschack on

Comments

• mschackmschack Posts: 337
    edited October 2021

Challenge #1 - Light Bulb

01bulb.jpg
    612 x 410 - 19K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,056
    edited October 2021

enlightened

Capture.JPG
    1920 x 1048 - 278K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

It's ok to post the Carrara work pics in the WIP/Render thread.

was not sure, anyway posted updated one yes

edited October 2021

Challenge #2 - Glass objects. 

Renders with glass of any kind can be tricky.  You soon realize that the glass shader is actually the least of your problem, it's everthing else in the scene that makes glass look like glass as it always requires something to reflect and refract.

8465_dog_in_gift_box_1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 16K
    edited October 2021

Challenge #3 - The rapids 

I chose this as a reference image a couple years ago and have had several failed attempts. The idea of my 'shrubery' thread actually grew out of these attempts.

The water/rapids along with the lighting, vegetation and rocks all combine for a very difficult look to re-create.  Probably not so 'mini' challenge.

sceneref.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 4M

I got as far as the terrain ...

Capture.JPG
    1169 x 573 - 102K

Good start!  what did you edit the terrain with?

edited October 2021

mschack said:

Good start!  what did you edit the terrain with?

map editor, I am rendering a foliaged one now using some borrowed Howie plants and DCG terrain stuff like surf and beach with volumetric clouds for rapids,

adding skylight and caustics was probably not a great idea

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited October 2021

Challenge #4 - Get your fiber

fiber-optic-cable_900x.png
    693 x 382 - 262K
    edited October 2021

Challenge #5 - Let's toss in a sink

0005.JPG