How to Fix Glowing Inner Mouth

GeneralDeeGeneralDee Posts: 132
edited March 2015 in New Users

When I render my figures with their mouth open, it's as if there's a firefly inside. An open mouth should not glow with ambient light striking the back of the tongue. It should be more like a cave that gets darker depending on how wide the mouth is open. I tried changing shaders and dialing down specularity with no change. Anyway, the inner mouth should not be flat either. There should be some specularity. Turning down the diffuse strength just made the mouth look dead. So, how do we stop the inner mouth from glowing?

EDIT: BTW, this is an issue when rendering figures in darker light settings.

Post edited by GeneralDee on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

Are all of your lights set to cast shadows or use occlusion? If not then they will illuminate enclosed areas.

• GeneralDeeGeneralDee Posts: 132
    edited December 1969

All my lights are set with raytraced shadows. Even the distant lights. I will double check to make sure.

edited December 1969

OK, I double checked and found 3 distant lights had no shadow activation. I put them to raytraced shadows and the mouths look as they should now. Thank you, you were spot on Richard.

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited December 1969

I think this happens with SSS in particular. If you turn SSS off, I think the glow will generally go away. At least, it does for me.

You don't have to turn SSS off on the whole figure. Just in the mouth.

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,623
    edited December 1969

This always trips me up too. You'd think that lights would load with default shadows on…not off. And what's SSS?

edited December 1969

dkutzera said:
    And what's SSS?

Sub Surface Scattering to simulate light absorbed especially by organic objects. An expert can explain better than me.

• edited December 1969

dkutzera said:
    And what's SSS?

Sub Surface Scattering to simulate light absorbed especially by organic objects. An expert can explain better than me.

I am not an expert, but I have run across a couple other people having the same problem.

Do you know about surfaces?

The issue is likely that the SSS for inner parts of the mouth is shining through to the face. It often happens when switching lips sets between characters. If the inside of the mouth will not be visible in the render, try going to the various mouth maps and turning sss off or to a lower setting just for those specific parts. Let us know if this helps, or if you need direction on how to do it and I can post screenshots

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,623
    edited December 1969

I dug around and finally found the SSS for the mouth and I think it's helping. I assume the eyes can also have the same problem cause right now my figure seems to be wearing some bright eye liner.

• This thread was very helpful guys. Turning off SSS for the mouth worked for me, so, thank you!