How do I consolidate Content?

TomViolaTomViola Posts: 103
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I am using DAZ Studio. 3.0.1.120. (32 bit) Windows. I have way too many folders in my Content. Seems I have too many directories with directories. How do I consolidate them into one file?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

It is very difficult to advise you without knowing what folders you actually have.

DS3 uses a 'Content' folder, which also contains a folder called 'Runtime' for Poser content. You should not have nested folders, like a Runtime inside a Runtime, or a Content folder inside another Content folder, is that the problem?

If so, since you are using windows, you can simply drag and drop the nested folder into the correct folder, and they will merge. Can you post a screenshot of your expanded Content folder?

Also, the last version of DS3 was 3.1.2.32, and if you reset your downloads, you should get that one.

• TomViolaTomViola Posts: 103
    edited December 1969

First of all, thank you. I did find the update of my DAZ Studio, and installed it. It fixed a lot of problems I was having with some files. As for consolidating my files I cannot make a screen shot of them. I will do my best describe my situation.

It all began when my previous laptop was running out of room. It was also getting old. So I replaced it. I tried to copy my DAZ files and Studio from my old laptop onto the new. I messed up. I lost a lot. It took me a long time before I was able to re-assemble everything. So I then had everything on my new laptop's C: drive. But, as I was reassembling the files they wound up on different sub directories. Soon, that harddrive was begining to fill, So I purchased an external harddive, Drive F:. Newer files were being saved there to keep from over-filling C: About a year later, I purchased another external drive. This one (G:) was a Terabite, much larger than C and F combined. I tried to migrate everything from C and F onto G: However, there are so many files and so many locations that I am somewhat at a loss to consolidate them all in G:
    DAZ Studio seaches all my drives to find all my content. And when it is done, I now have about 30 content folders in my Studio Content tab. Help!

• Roboman28Roboman28 Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

Its dangerous to alter content structures or items will no longer work. As a generalisation you get pose files e.g pz2 which can be placed in any directory. These files refer to object .obj and texture .jpg files which cannot be moved. If you do, the cross-referencing in the pose file will no longer work. In short if things work leave well alone. A messy directory structure isn't hurting anything.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

If you are just trying to consolidate runtime folders, then Roboman28's concerns shouldn't apply as you won't be moving anything at the level he addresses. Content folders can be freely drag-and-dropped onto each other, though remember, you need to drop folder A onto the parent of folder B, not folder B itself, to get them to merge into A+B. I'd suggest you start with a couple of minor content folders and check that you can get them to merge successfully before trying to do everything. Do remember to take the folder that no longer exists out of your list of content folders declared in Studio.