Newbie question on producing atmospheres in Bryce

somefunoksomefunok Posts: 62
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I have never used Bryce but I have been impressed by the promo images from 1971s products in the Renderosity store where he uses Bryce to create the environment and I was wondering how easy/hard would they be to recreate by someone new to the program?

If it's relatively straightforward I'd be grateful for any tips or techniques on how to recreate something similar.

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,538
    edited December 1969

@somefunok - ok, there's more than just some fun with Bryce. I've known the works of 1971s from earlier times and he's doing a great job, I like his models. There are many options in Bryce to set the atmosphere. It is really difficult to cover it in a sentence or two. In general, open the Sky lab (Sky & Fog, click on the small cloud). Under the Atmosphere tab you find most of what you need. Set the preview at right to render in scene (down arrow below thumbnail) so you can see what you're doing. Haze Density determines the amount of haze in the distance and Thickness how near to the camera it comes. For a landscape, you would typically set Density high (50 - 100) and Thickness low (1 - 10) but you have to experiment to see yourself what happens. How high the haze reaches, how fast it fades out from the horizon to the zenith is controlled by the Cumulus Cloud Height. The clouds needen't be enabled. This is not very intuitive. You have to switch Cumulus on, set height, then switch them off if you don't need them. Then, there are all the option to blend haze with the sun and there's Color Perspective.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

somefunok said:
    I have never used Bryce but I have been impressed by the promo images from 1971s products in the Renderosity store where he uses Bryce to create the environment and I was wondering how easy/hard would they be to recreate by someone new to the program?

If it's relatively straightforward I'd be grateful for any tips or techniques on how to recreate something similar.

1971's products I am not familiar with, can you provide examples of what they consist of? Or a link to give us some clues would be useful. I did try a google search on 1971 and Renderoisty but none of the results returned to me looked promising.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,538
    edited December 1969

David:
    Bryce5.com and
    Renderosity.
    Hope it helps.

• somefunoksomefunok Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

I wasn't sure whether we were allowed to put links in to another store but here is the link to 1971s store http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/?vendor=337539

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo, yes I remember 1971 now! And also thanks for the links.

OK right, so we are not talking about reproducing some environment in particular, that was what I was trying to establish. Just generally talking about atmospheric effects. Here than is a potential starting point, it is not very theory heavy, but does require some familiarity with the Bryce interface you could have a look and see if it is heading in the general direction you want to go Bryce Made Easy - Glowing stars recipe for sunset - by David Brinnen