Questions and Concerns about using G8.1 figures

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,388

I was very glad to hear that Daz wasn't going to be coming out with a new generation of figures because I didn't want to start all over with hair, clothing and poses or have to jump through hoops to apply them to a new gen character. I've been circleing the 8.1 figures for awhile and it's getting to be awful because they really do look amazing. I have been moved to buy a few and they render beautifully. My wardrobe fits them, the hair styles fit to them, poses work. My hold up is I'm an absolute stickler when it comes to facial expressions. There doesn't seem to be as much facial controls with the 8.1. For instance..."Mouth open". There is one to close it but the only way I can get their mouths to open is by using a slider from a G8 which works for some reason but even that one is "Open Vertical". And I can't seem to find many options for lip control either. There certainly are DIFFERENT ones from the G8's that are fun but I'm missing the basics. Does anyone else run into this? There are so many characters I'd love to own but I'm nervous about buying them because I'm afraid I won't be able to use them well.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

The slider to open the mouth is now under Jaw, not Mouth. Have you tried using the visual facial controls? They take a little getting used to, but they really simplify the process.

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

I suggest getting to know the new FACS facial controls for the 8.1 figure.  They really are much better.  With that said, I'm sure someone will come along and give detailed instructiuons for how to ebnable the old 8.0 facial controls.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Making the G8 base expressions (and any expressions that are using them) work on G8.1 requires removing dummy/placeholder expressions that are installed to G8.1 morph folders - These dummy/placeholder expression files have no other function than to prevent the base G8 expressions from loading. 

The dummy/placeholder files are located in;

...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files)

Please make sure you are removing the files from G8.1 morph folders and not G8 morph folders.

Note. If you are logging in to DS and letting DAZ Connect (within DS) to install/update your content, you may have these also in an other location that has "\Data\Cloud\" in it's path

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,388

Jaw! I wasn't looking for that. Eyes Closed is now "Eyes Blink" too, figured that one out eventually. What do you mean when you say visual facial controls?

PerttiA said:

Making the G8 base expressions (and any expressions that are using them) work on G8.1 requires removing dummy/placeholder expressions that are installed to G8.1 morph folders - These dummy/placeholder expression files have no other function than to prevent the base G8 expressions from loading. 

The dummy/placeholder files are located in;

...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files)

Please make sure you are removing the files from G8.1 morph folders and not G8 morph folders.

Note. If you are logging in to DS and letting DAZ Connect (within DS) to install/update your content, you may have these also in an other location that has "\Data\Cloud\" in it's path

Wow, awesome! I was able to find and delete the files for Base Pose Head and both folders had 255 files likes you said. But the Expressions Folders for each have 120. Which 24 should I be looking for?

Capture.JPG
    1131 x 990 - 189K

DDCreate said:

Wow, awesome! I was able to find and delete the files for Base Pose Head and both folders had 255 files likes you said. But the Expressions Folders for each have 120. Which 24 should I be looking for?

All 120 of them, the 24 come with the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials and the rest have come from additional expression packs (or their update) that you have installed. 

Won't that mean I won't be able to use those expressions? Not a HUGE loss because I didn't get tons. If I have to choose between expressions, I'll take the Gen 8's. Just curious.

DDCreate said:

Won't that mean I won't be able to use those expressions? Not a HUGE loss because I didn't get tons. If I have to choose between expressions, I'll take the Gen 8's. Just curious.

They are all dummy files in those locations, there are no expressions within the files (see for your self), they are there to disable the real expression files that are located in the G8 morph folders (same path except without the "_1" in one of the folder names)

edited April 2022

And I think I might have done something wrong. When I try applying a G8F Expression, it works on her eyes and I think nose but that's all the change I see. I went from a ZERO expression to "Agony" and her face looks like someone lightly pinched her butt. :P The majority of other expressions have no effect/change at all.

I was sure to be working in the exact folders you listed. And I've only ever installed using DIM or Manual Installation.

Post edited by DDCreate on

Which product "Agony" comes with?

Those are not DAZ3D expressions, so deleting any of the dummy files would not disable them.

The only thing I can think of, is that "Agony" uses some DAZ3D expressions and you haven't deleted all the dummy files (the ones in "\Data\Cloud\1_XXXXX\Data\...")

I don't think I have that file.

Capture.JPG
    1132 x 939 - 129K

You can find the path in Content Directory Manager, under Daz Connect Data

PathToContDirMan.jpg
    564 x 532 - 51K
    ContDirMan.jpg
    384 x 240 - 11K

Hmmm, not finding it there either :(