Autosave feature please!

martin36martin36 Posts: 171
edited March 2022 in The Commons

Just lost 5 hours of work. I am so (mad)

(Edited by mod for language)

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,795

This is my most useful product https://www.daz3d.com/super-save I do incremental saves after any major or even minor change. Amazed you got through 5 whole hours without DS crashing. 

• martin36martin36 Posts: 171

Wonderland said:

This is my most useful product https://www.daz3d.com/super-save I do incremental saves after any major or even minor change. Amazed you got through 5 whole hours without DS crashing. 

I do saves as well just forgot it today

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,953

I never knew that super save prouduct existed! That seems to be a must have. 

• KrzysztofaKrzysztofa Posts: 226

Honestly I'd be happy if saving a scene didn't collapse all the Content Library navigation branches crying But autosave would be wonderful. I feel like I'm in the 90s, I can't recall any creative tool besides Daz that doesn't have this basic, essential feature.

• Oh, the irony of Daz Forums auto-saving our comments every minute or two whilst we type...

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,052

I learned a LONG LONG time ago, to hit SAVE after EVERY action.  And when I get a scene substantially built up, I make a duplicate copy of the scene file - and I back up EVERYTHING to external hard drives and the Apple Cloud.  I've lost NOTHING in the last 5 years.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,698
    edited March 2022

While I totally understand the sentiment, can the post title please be edited for language? Thanks!

Edit: Thanks again very much!

Post edited by tsroemi on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,482

Wonderland said:

Yet another example of having to buy something which should be a standard feature - or at least an option (some people prefer to save manually).

I am pretty bad at remembering to save too. If I get a DAZ Studio version that seems stable (fewer crashes) I tend to stick with it until there is a compelling reason to update. However, that also means fewer painful reminders that I should be saving regularly and I fall back into bad habits.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,724
    edited March 2022

I learned a long time ago on other apps, always save as you go.

homer2b.png
    581 x 600 - 172K
    Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

IMHO I don't exactly know how someone can work on a scene for 5 hours and never think of making a save of it. DS has been incridbly stable for me but doing something like a simulation or sometimes just ramdomly a crash/hang will happen, so I save every few minutes while working. In fact I often make experimantal changes to a scene that I don't want auto-saved, knowing that my last save was the good one, and if a crash occurs it will be the one I can go back to.

By all means make it an option I can turn on or off, but not a feature I can't opt out of, or alternatively auto-save to a seperate folder.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,618

I find that sometimes a complex scene takes a long time to save so having to wait for an automatic save to finish would be annoying. Also, like fred9803 I sometimes reload my last save if my changes go wrong, An autosave that used it's own filename would be OK for me but one that resaved over my last save would not.

I find Studio fairly stable except for Iray renders. I always save before a render and I usually save after what feels to me like key points in creating the scene.

• backgroundbackground Posts: 382

Peter Wade said:

I find that sometimes a complex scene takes a long time to save so having to wait for an automatic save to finish would be annoying. Also, like fred9803 I sometimes reload my last save if my changes go wrong, An autosave that used it's own filename would be OK for me but one that resaved over my last save would not.

I find Studio fairly stable except for Iray renders. I always save before a render and I usually save after what feels to me like key points in creating the scene.

Totally agree with the above. The last thing I want is Studio to 'freeze' while I'm doing something, so that it can save the scene. If DAZ do implement an autosave please provide an option to turn it off. 

• KrzysztofaKrzysztofa Posts: 226

If implemented correctly, autosave happens on its own separate program thread, so it happens transparently to the user (IE, you wont even notice when it happens). And rather than cluttering up your workspace or overwriting your save file, autosave should create its own save in a temp file workspace. The primary purpose of autosave is to recover from disaster (or a typical Daz Studio crash). AT least thats how I'd like to see this theoretical behavior work. I'd also be happy with DS being perfectly stable and crash proof but that is likely a much harder task.

In 2022 even Poser has auto-save.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,698

Just give me a version of this for ShaderMixer....

No, seriously:  sometimes it takes two-plus hours plugging in a node brick.

frown

• Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,081

I often reload the scene that I am working on. If an auto saved happened with the changes that I made, I wouldn't want that

• AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 657
    edited March 2022

I would never pay that much for something that is basic functionality that any modern application should support, although that product does do other stuff, and looks useful for other reasons. But just autosave is basic stuff. I get that Daz is free, but so is Blender, and Blender does it, and Blender doesn't save over what you were working on. Are there any other basic features people want to see? Maybe there's money to be made!

But maybe there's a reason it's not there. it could very well be a difficult change for Daz to make efficiently, which may be why they haven't. To say what the best solution is, you'd have to know why it's slow.

Is this autosave product fast, or does it just save every so often? It seems unlikely any extension would have the ability to save a file any more quickly than the application

Post edited by AndrewJJP on
  • On the speculation that it might be difficult to add with the way DS is devised now...  if that turns out to be the case, I wonder if with the upcoming version 5, which is a major rewrite, they'd have an easier time of adding it.

• The way my luck works, if autosave was available and I could turn it on or off, simply trying to turn it on would crash Daz

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,883
    edited September 2

I use Second Copy for backup on the fly, of DS projects and whatever other projects I'm working on.  Been using it for over 20 years and find it absolutely indispensable.

Create an unlimited number of separate backup profiles each with selected folders
    Run one or multiple profiles manually, or automatically at certain intervals or whenever files change
    Keep up to 25 of the latest versions of files
    And lots of other features. 

http://www.secondcopy.com

second_copy.png
    1046 x 400 - 40K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,883

Wonderland said:

It's actually on sale today, only $5.19.