Windows update that reduces vram usage: What update is it?

I remembe reading in passing that Windows 10 was recently (not sure what recent means) updated to use less vram. But I'm having trouble even finding that post. Regardless, it likely did not include a reference to the particular update. Does anyone know what update it was? I'm on 20H2 at the moment.

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

There was one that stopped reserving a fixed percentage of the total, but that was quite some time ago.

Some recent posts here in the forum have given the impression that something has changed again, but that's just an impression.

• grendel1grendel1 Posts: 13

Apologies if I'm being a bit annoying...do you have an example post? (My problem is I can't find the post I read!). Or even how recent it was? 20H2 is of course about a year old at this point so I'm just trying to track it down.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

I don't remember in which of the many, many threads, where the consumption of VRAM is being talked about, someone posted figures that were unusually low, compared to figures that have been reported previously.

The update that took it down from a fixed percentage down to about 1 GB was at least a year ago or even earlier. I'm still on W7 which consumes just 300MB's of VRAM with three monitors, so what I know about VRAM usage in W10 is from what I have read here on the forums.

• OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 373

According to this thread you are one update past the version this change was introduced in.

• Version 2004 (May 2020 Update)
    • Version 20H2 (October 2020 Update)