Long-haired canine (Oso Fox) wering a vest - Fur everywhere!

My ultimate goal is to make something that looks like a Fennec wearing a vest.

As you can see from the two images, I've gotten the shape right, but the fur is poking right through the vest, almost totally obscuring it.

Does anyone know how to hide the fur where the vest is?

Choowa Test 1.0.jpg
1024 x 1657 - 1M
Fur Test 3.jpg
1024 x 1657 - 985K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,060
    edited March 2022

you need to edit the density map for the fur

looking at I am unsure if black or white needed on the parts where the vest is

My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\textures\Oso3D\Oso Fox but basically edit a copy to make the fur shaved in the bits under the vest

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • WendyLuvsCatz said:

Okay, I think I know what you're talking about.  It's essentially a vest-shaped mask on the density map, right?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,060

AdmiralSirJohn said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Okay, I think I know what you're talking about.  It's essentially a vest-shaped mask on the density map, right?

yes but I cannot check if black or white as am busy rendering something, just try both 

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

Assuming that it's dForce hair, you could also scale the vest until it's bigger than the fox and the fur, then scale to the size it is now at say the 20th frame and animate to press the fur under the vest like in real life.

• Spacious said:

Assuming that it's dForce hair, you could also scale the vest until it's bigger than the fox and the fur, then scale to the size it is now at say the 20th frame and animate to press the fur under the vest like in real life.

I'll try that next, since this was the result of the last render... 

Fur Test 5.jpg
    1024 x 1657 - 587K
  • Scaling the vest didn't work.  Apparently, it's all or nothing.

edited March 2022

Maybe I'm not explaining my suggestion very well.  Allow me to try again.  Go to frame 1 on the time line.  Select the vest and use the Scale parameter to make it big enough that the fur is not touching the inside of the vest.  Probably 120 or 150 percent should be enough.  Next go to like frame 15 or 20 and scale the vest back to 100%.  Maybe add some frames to 40 or so.  Now run an animated dForce simulation for the timeline range.  Do not use start from memorized pose.  This method is great for getting fur under clothes on any figure.

Post edited by Spacious on
  • Oh, okay.  So it HAS to be an animation, rather than a static image, right?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

You can render it as a static image, but animating the simulation gives you more control over the simulation of hair/fur and clothing.

• Okay, I understand now.

• 25 images into a 30 image string.  Something tells me this is an utter failure.

Advanced Fur Test24.jpg
    1024 x 1657 - 450K
    edited March 2022

It looks like the fur was still sticking though the vest when you started the simulation.  You can even see on it's back, right near the tail, where it wasn't sticking through and now the vest is over the fur in that spot.  If this is the case, making the vesty even bigger before the sim would help.   It's also possible that there just isn't enough geometry in the vest to stop the fur.  It may help to make the stands of the fur thicker for the simulation, and afterwards you can make them the thickness that you want.  I've never had to do that, and I'm not even sure if a dForce sim would take that into account, but it's worth a try.

Post edited by Spacious on
  • I also found a post where someone suggested a two-step process, with two renders (one with fur and one without) with the vest spot-rendered and then added "in post".  Once I get a chance to edit the actual base and fur texture for the fox, I'll try that.  Right now, I'm rendering an image of the vest to check the editing I've done on that base texture.

• Okay, the vest looks good.  (No this isn't the same UNSC from Halo.)

Vest Recolor.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
  • And the final result.

This is Atlas, a Choowa fox. 

He's a genetically-engineered cross between a Fennec and a San Joquin Kitfox (a combination that can't exist naturally).

A well-meaning genetic engineer created the breed in hopes of saving the San Joquin Kitfox by making it a companion animal.  Part of the engineering was to give it a friendlier disposition.

Being an excellent rat catcher, he's employed as a Vermin Control officer at the Miroka Space Center on Gahye Island.

(From my own novel series, BLUESALTS, the first two of which are available on Amazon.)

Atlas.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 6M