Copy Materials via the Hex bridge

3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

So I've got a "prop" that I made, and I brought it over to Hex to add material zones. I added them, and did a "send to daz studio", and chose "Copy Materials", but the only zone I got was "default"?

Does that function work?

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    So I've got a "prop" that I made, and I brought it over to Hex to add material zones. I added them, and did a "send to daz studio", and chose "Copy Materials", but the only zone I got was "default"?

Does that function work?

In Hexagon; you select the desired faces and create a Shading Domain. In creating that shading domain, it is assigned a material.
    You can then rename the material as you please [keep it on the short side] and also the Shading domain 'to be the same name'.
    From the materials list, remove any materials not being used.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

Yep, agreed, I was just wondering about the bridge part not working? I ended up doing them in DS, which I found has remarkably better selection and geometry assignment tools than I expected :)

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    Yep, agreed, I was just wondering about the bridge part not working? I ended up doing them in DS, which I found has remarkably better selection and geometry assignment tools than I expected :)

The materials over the bridge part ... what works and doesn't varies with what was done and sometimes how - from either direction.

Even if not keeping it; best to slap on uvmap and assign a shading domain before shipping over to D/S.
    D/S in shipping out items with nothing tends to add something ... not necessarily something that will be read as intended in Hexagon but then if there were no surprizes in life, it would be boring eh.