Can't parent stuff in DS 4.20

The old problem, how to explain what I mean. In older versions of DS if I wanted to parent something to a character or object all I needed to do was drag the item to the thing I wanted to parent it to and that was it. So in its simplest terms if I parent a cone to a cube by dragging the cone onto the cube in scenes tab the cone vanishes, its there but reduced in size. For example if I want to move a group of characters rather than moving each one individually I would drag each one into whichever I selected and then I could move them around as a group. This doesnt seem to work anymore, so how do I manage to do these things now...

Comments

• deeahr2169deeahr2169 Posts: 449

Maybe better explained this way....

First image a flattened cube and a sphere in viewport

Second image dragged sphere into cube to merge, same result if you change the sphere parent to the cube...

Third image hide cube and sphere is still there but altered...

Prior to this problem I could parent the spohere to the cube and move both at the same time.

Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 20.28.31.png
    416 x 426 - 66K
    Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 20.28.48.png
    286 x 284 - 35K
    Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 20.29.04.png
    352 x 335 - 45K

Maybe better explained this way....

First image a flattened cube and a sphere in viewport

Second image dragged sphere into cube to merge, same result if you change the sphere parent to the cube...

Third image hide cube and sphere is still there but altered...

Prior to this problem I could parent the spohere to the cube and move both at the same time.

• You have Parent In Place off now, it was on before - when off the child inherits its new parent's transforms, when on it keeps its own. It is a checkbox at the bottom of the Change Parent dialogue or a togglable item in the Scene pane option menu (the lined/hamburger button in the top corner, or right-click the tab).

Thank you Richard, to the rescue once more and totally correct. Not sure how that happened but then most of the time these days just living life is a mystery to me...