Duplicate items in scene linked

Hi,

I've got two identical bit of clothing in a scene, and i want to hide different bits of them (i.e. show the top of the dress 1, but hide the bottom, and show the bottom of dress 2, and hide the top). However, when I try to do this, it seems the two dresses are linked, and it hides the top of both dresses, or both bottoms. 

Is this a bug? Or can I turn this off somehow?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

Are you hiding the bits through the geometry editor, or through something like opacity maps/hiding in the scene view?

• josephhharrisjosephhharris Posts: 5
    edited March 2022

Through the geometry editor. I've tried doing it using surfaces, regions, selection sets, but they all seem to work on both items at once. I could try using an opacity map I suppose.

Post edited by josephhharris on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

josephhharris said:

Through the geometry editor. I've tried doing it using surfaces, regions, selection sets, but they all seem to work on both items at once. I could try using an opacity map I suppose.

That would seem to be the problem, then. Surface settings, morphs etc. can be set differently for multiple instances of the same item, but once you get into manipulating the actual polygons, you're changing the base mesh, and all instances will reflect the changes. 

• Hmmm, ok thanks. I've done it using maps. 

Thank you!