Emissive Glow with 3Delight Render Engine

jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 602
edited March 2022 in New Users

I know how to use Iray's emissive channel to make an object's surface glow, but I'd like to know how to do the same thing with in 3Delight.  I'm using Daz Studio 4.20.0.2 and 4.15.

Thanks in advance.

Update:  I see that if I set a color other than black into the diffuse and ambient color channels, a surface renders with a glow but it's not very bright.  Can the brightness be increased also?

Post edited by jjoyner on

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,444

Ambient does not shed light, no matter how bright. For emissive surfaces, there are some basic shapes in Props -> Built-in (omnifreaker's UberEnvironment stuff), or use a generic shader like UberAreaLight from Light Presets -> omnifreaker. They can be finicky to get good quality renders, though. They will need some tweaking.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,909

Ambient can make a surface look emissive, but unlike IRAY emissives, it will not light up the room.

To make it brighter, set a higher value and/or choose a brighter colour.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,060

stick a point light by it 

I just wish Filament had an ambient shader at least

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 602

NorthOf45 said:

Ambient does not shed light, no matter how bright. For emissive surfaces, there are some basic shapes in Props -> Built-in (omnifreaker's UberEnvironment stuff), or use a generic shader like UberAreaLight from Light Presets -> omnifreaker. They can be finicky to get good quality renders, though. They will need some tweaking.

Thanks for your reply.  I couldn’t find any omnifreaker props or light presets, but that's OK.  Playing around with older content that predates Iray was interesting to see what effect changing the color in diffuse or ambient had on the "glow' effect in 3Delight.  Some products had a glow channel in the Surfaces tab and others did not.  I plan to do light emission from surfaces using the Emission channel in Iray but was curious as to what used to be the norm before Iray came along.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,444

jjoyner said:

NorthOf45 said:

Thanks for your reply.  I couldn’t find any omnifreaker props or light presets, but that's OK.  Playing around with older content that predates Iray was interesting to see what effect changing the color in diffuse or ambient had on the "glow' effect in 3Delight.  Some products had a glow channel in the Surfaces tab and others did not.  I plan to do light emission from surfaces using the Emission channel in Iray but was curious as to what used to be the norm before Iray came along.

They are in Default Resources for Daz Studio, so, yes, you do have them.

NorthOf45 said:

They are in Default Resources for Daz Studio, so, yes, you do have them.

Got it.  Found them.  Now to understand them better ... 

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Setting up emissives in 3DL

...the basic stuff, hope that helps;)

Hello again.  Another 3Delight lighting question.  The attached image is a 3Delight render of a car designed for Poser.  I bought it many years ago in the Renderosity store.  The render used no headlamp in Daz Studio (4.20) yet there is some lighting and a reflection of a scene on the car's surface.  Is this an artifact of the materials coming from Poser?  I 3Delight rendered a different Poser car in Daz Studion with the same results.  I 3Delight rendered two cars bought in the Daz3D store and designed for Daz Studio and they rendered completely black with no headlamp as expected.

Thanks.

PT Cruiser for Poser - 3Delight render.jpg
    711 x 399 - 74K

Locate reflection color in the surface tab, delete all reflection maps for true raytraced reflections. With maps inserted there will be no true reflections, just the map wrapped around the surface.

Sven Dullah said:

Locate reflection color in the surface tab, delete all reflection maps for true raytraced reflections. With maps inserted there will be no true reflections, just the map wrapped around the surface.

That did it!  I knew that something was causing the reflections but it would have taken me ages to narrow it down to a reflection map in the reflection color channel.  I've learned something new again today.

Thanks much!! 

jjoyner said:

Sven Dullah said:

That did it!  I knew that something was causing the reflections but it would have taken me ages to narrow it down to a reflection map in the reflection color channel.  I've learned something new again today.

Thanks much!! 

You're very welcome:)