Opinion on New PC Build

I have been playing around with Daz3D on my macbook air for a few weeks and now thinking about getting a PC. Would mainly use for Daz3D and hopefully Blender, some light gaming as well. Here is the spec, total cost seems to be approx. $1600. Would like to hear the community's opinion. Gaol is the have a fairly good system with potential to upgrade in future if needed. If anything looks like weak/ incompatible/ overkill plz let me know.

Current plan is to use this with remote desktop (splashTop seems to be the preferred one).

PC Builder Part List: https://pcbuilder.net/rigs/lq8RId/

1. Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming, 12GB GDDR6, Dual-Fan, Metal Backplate ($578.00 @ Amazon US)

2. Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 12 Cores & 24 Threads Unlocked Desktop Processor Without Cooler ($448.98 @ Amazon US)

3. RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4-32000) CL18-22-22-42 1.40V Dual Channel Desktop Memory ($149.99 @ Amazon US)

4. Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO AC (AM4 AMD/B550/ATX/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 2/Intel Dual Band 802.11AC WiFi/2.5 GbE LAN/PCIe 4.0/RGB Fusion 2.0/DDR4/Gaming Motherboard) ($191.99 @ Amazon US)

5. Storage: Samsung EVO 970 Plus 1TB PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe M.2-2280 Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology & 1024MB Cache ($113.99 @ Amazon US)

6. CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, BK022, 250W TDP, CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon US)

7. Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600 Black, BG021, Mid-Tower ATX, 2 Pre-Installed Fans ($89.00 @ Amazon US)

8. Power Supply: Corsair CX 650 Series, 80+ Bronze Certified 650W Modular Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon US)

9. Windows 11 Home.

Comments

• ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 513

You might consider more storage, especially if you have (or plan to have) a large library of assets for DAZ. I have a separate 2 GB 7200 RPM drive just for my DAZ libraries. I run the executable off of my SSD, but everything else goes to that drive. Another benefit for that is when I upgraded my PC a couple of years ago, it was really easy to move everything.

Since I do some moderate gaming, I also have a 4 TB, 7200 RPM drive split into two volumes, one for my personal data (photos, music, documents, etc) and one for games (some of the ones I like are over 100 GB). While HDDs are slower in access, the price per GB of HDDs can't be beat, and it is not too much of a performance hit IMO. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Double the RAM to 64GB and get a 4TB external HD for DS content.

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481
    edited March 2022

You may want a higher capacity power supply.  They are pretty cheap, and it's always better to have more power than you think you need available.

Post edited by Spacious on
  • PerttiA said:

Thanks. Could you elaborate on the reason for 64GB RAM? I thought double the GPU memory should suffice.

• Chezjuan said:

You might consider more storage, especially if you have (or plan to have) a large library of assets for DAZ. I have a separate 2 GB 7200 RPM drive just for my DAZ libraries. I run the executable off of my SSD, but everything else goes to that drive. Another benefit for that is when I upgraded my PC a couple of years ago, it was really easy to move everything.

Since I do some moderate gaming, I also have a 4 TB, 7200 RPM drive split into two volumes, one for my personal data (photos, music, documents, etc) and one for games (some of the ones I like are over 100 GB). While HDDs are slower in access, the price per GB of HDDs can't be beat, and it is not too much of a performance hit IMO. 

Thanks for detailed feedback.

• Matt_BrownMatt_Brown Posts: 176

mopsyflopsy said:

PerttiA said:

Thanks. Could you elaborate on the reason for 64GB RAM? I thought double the GPU memory should suffice.

I am not a computer expert, but I use an RTX3060 and just doubled my own system RAM to 64GB, now everything on DAZ runs better. The system uses RAM and vRAM very differently. Typically it uses a very large amount of system RAM preparing the scene prior to transfering it to the graphics card. A scene that is going to use most of my 12GB vRAM starts off by using over 50GB of my system RAM. Before I upgraded the system RAM it used to use some of the hard drive as a cache, and that made it very slow! Also there are other times when DAZ seems to use unbeleivable amounts of system RAM.

Finally, there are times when I know my 3060 won't cope and I leave the system CPU rendering while I go out for the day. On thses ocasions the GPU and its vRAM just sits idle, while the CPU and system RAM take all the load.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

mopsyflopsy said:

PerttiA said:

Double is not enough, I have a RTX 2070 Super with 8GB's of VRAM and the RAM usage often gets over 32GB's. 

• Digital Storm.com

• PerttiA said:

mopsyflopsy said:

PerttiA said:

Double is not enough, I have a RTX 2070 Super with 8GB's of VRAM and the RAM usage often gets over 32GB's. 

Got it, thanks
  • mopsyflopsy said:

PerttiA said:

I am not a computer expert, but I use an RTX3060 and just doubled my own system RAM to 64GB, now everything on DAZ runs better. The system uses RAM and vRAM very differently. Typically it uses a very large amount of system RAM preparing the scene prior to transfering it to the graphics card. A scene that is going to use most of my 12GB vRAM starts off by using over 50GB of my system RAM. Before I upgraded the system RAM it used to use some of the hard drive as a cache, and that made it very slow! Also there are other times when DAZ seems to use unbeleivable amounts of system RAM.

Finally, there are times when I know my 3060 won't cope and I leave the system CPU rendering while I go out for the day. On thses ocasions the GPU and its vRAM just sits idle, while the CPU and system RAM take all the load.

I see, clearly I need to learn more about how RAM is utilized during the animation VS rendering. Thanks for the explanation.
  • mopsyflopsy said:

I have been playing around with Daz3D on my macbook air for a few weeks and now thinking about getting a PC. Would mainly use for Daz3D and hopefully Blender, some light gaming as well. Here is the spec, total cost seems to be approx. $1600. Would like to hear the community's opinion. Gaol is the have a fairly good system with potential to upgrade in future if needed. If anything looks like weak/ incompatible/ overkill plz let me know.

Current plan is to use this with remote desktop (splashTop seems to be the preferred one).

PC Builder Part List: https://pcbuilder.net/rigs/lq8RId/

1. Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming, 12GB GDDR6, Dual-Fan, Metal Backplate ($578.00 @ Amazon US)

2. Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 12 Cores & 24 Threads Unlocked Desktop Processor Without Cooler ($448.98 @ Amazon US)

3. RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4-32000) CL18-22-22-42 1.40V Dual Channel Desktop Memory ($149.99 @ Amazon US)

4. Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO AC (AM4 AMD/B550/ATX/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 2/Intel Dual Band 802.11AC WiFi/2.5 GbE LAN/PCIe 4.0/RGB Fusion 2.0/DDR4/Gaming Motherboard) ($191.99 @ Amazon US)

5. Storage: Samsung EVO 970 Plus 1TB PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe M.2-2280 Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology & 1024MB Cache ($113.99 @ Amazon US)

6. CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, BK022, 250W TDP, CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon US)

7. Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600 Black, BG021, Mid-Tower ATX, 2 Pre-Installed Fans ($89.00 @ Amazon US)

8. Power Supply: Corsair CX 650 Series, 80+ Bronze Certified 650W Modular Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon US)

9. Windows 11 Home.

A good system for a decent price, especially with the Ryzen 5900x.  650W should be adequate, but I would go with a 700-750W Power Supply, preferrably a gold or platinum rated one for power efficiency (greener).  A capable Power Supply is important for future upgrades - Video cards and CPUs are getting more and more power hungry.

Try comparing prices with places like iBuyPower and MSI.  They have pre-build and customizable systems.  You might be able to save $$$ if you find a pre-build that matches what you want.  

• nannerfkmnannerfkm Posts: 24

I agree the Power supply might need to be bumped up.  Also, you might consider a second drive at some point for storage. Mechanical drives are relatively slow but they provide cheap storage for back up files and renders.  

Dont' forget case fans. I say that because when I purchased a new system recently I did not look at the default fan set up (it only had one exhaust fan). I looked it over when it came and thought 'that's weird'.  After testing it i felt the heat coming off that sucker and thought 'crap'!.  An RTX 3080 video card radiates some serious heat!   So a few days later we maxed out the case fans. I monitor the fan speeds and GPU/CPU heat and all are within perameters now. 

My older system has a RTX 1070 video card.   All I can say is wow....what difference for rendering!  

Good luck with the new sytem. I hope it brings you much joy and many wonderful renders.