Split Pair of Boots into Separate Props?

SledgeHammerSledgeHammer Posts: 44
edited December 1969 in New Users

I want to separate a pair of combat boots I have from this product Genesis Ultimate Military Basic into 2 separate items so I can pose them as discarded items on the floor of my scene.

I have no idea how to do this in Daz Studio.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,403
    edited May 2015

The easiest way would probably be to load the pair of boots twice and hide one boot from each pair.

Post edited by Leana on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited May 2015

load the boots by themselves into a new scene
    hide all the parts of the boots except the left shin, foot and toe
    export the boot as an OBJ file, call it BootLeft.obj
    Use the defaults the export (FILE>EXPORT) and click off "Ignore invisible nodes" if it's not selected.
    hide all the parts of the boot except the right shin, foot and toe
    export the boot as an OBJ file, call it BootRight.obj

you now have two props that are independent of one another. While you can not easily reuse them on a posed figure you can manipulate them far easier than you would making two pairs of boots with one hidden side on each boot model.

if you save this scene put the obj files into a folder they will be permanently stored, the file is dependent on the path location of these "boots" to not move in order to load if they remain OBJ files. (e.g. "Studio\Runtime\newfolder\boots")

Screen_Shot_2015-05-04_at_12.48_.05_PM_.png
    515 x 572 - 83K
    Post edited by StratDragon on
  • RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited May 2015

Edit 2: Warning, this is the 'nerdy' way of doing this. The other suggestions work very much in the same way in the end and are easier to accomplish, but here is the procedure to actually split the pair of boots into two :)

If you want the boots still to be functional (as in using them via "Fit To" to G2F) and yet want to get completely rid of the other half of the boots, then you can also use the "Geometry Editor Tool".

1) Load the boots.
    2) Switch to "Geometry Editor Tool"
    3) Right click on the e.g. left boots (this example is for removing the left side) and choose "Geometry Selection" -> "Select By" -> "Face Groups" -> "lFoot"
    4) Continue with all other face groups on the left side (e.g. lThigh etc.)
    5) Then right click again on boots and choose "Geometry Visibility" -> "Hide Selected Polygons"
    6) After that again right click on boots and choose "Geometry Editing" -> "Delete Hidden Polygon(s)"
    7) After that a warning box shows up, which you should just accept.
    8) Then "Save As..." -> "Support Asset" -> "Figure/Prop Asset(s)..." to save it as a new figure asset so that you do not overwrite the old. Give it a fancy name, vendor name and such and you are done :)

Edit: There are other ways to select polygons (step #3) and some are way quicker. I just thought this is probably the easiest way to write down :)

Screen_Shot_2015-05-04_at_21.13_.26_.png
    767 x 581 - 135K
    Screen_Shot_2015-05-04_at_21.13_.10_.png
    354 x 173 - 28K
    Screen_Shot_2015-05-04_at_21.12_.10_.png
    373 x 176 - 30K
    Screen_Shot_2015-05-04_at_21.11_.22_.png
    519 x 200 - 46K
    Screen_Shot_2015-05-04_at_21.10_.48_.png
    288 x 59 - 13K
    Post edited by Renpatsu on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,633
    edited December 1969

Remember too, if you select the bones of the shin for one or the other you can basically do as you wish with them separate from one another.

• SickleYield said:

Remember too, if you select the bones of the shin for one or the other you can basically do as you wish with them separate from one another.

This is a great tip!

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229
    edited August 2022

"Bones of the shin..."  Hmmm, I don't get it.

I realize there are... object construction and nomenclature conventions going on but I find some of it confusing. For instance if a human(oid) figure has a "hip" and starting point and head, neck and "shins" I suppose I get that, and it seems ok to take it further onto a Dodo bird model say, or a fish... but adding -- even talking about -- the convention being used on to boots and flowers and other... inanimate... objects seems... like a difficult concept.

Post edited by Roman_K2 on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

The wearable clothing needs to have bone structure that conforms with the figure they are being fitted to, starting from the hip bone which is the starting point for the "bone tree".

There are some items that work better without bones of their own, such as glasses, because if they were made with one and fitted to a figure, they would autofollow all the active morphs of the base figure and their geometry could become severly distorted.