Question on Creating a Smooth Foot (No Toes) or Amputee Morph

KL123KL123 Posts: 1

Hi all,

I've successfully created face feature and body morphs in the past, but am now attempting some new ones that I think will present more of a challenge. 

I need to create a morph for a smooth foot, with no toe shape or toenails - just smooth like a mannequin foot (as attached). I would prefer to do this as a morph, rather a "Fit to" prop or making a fleshy shoe cap. The issue I can foresee coming up is that morphs, to my understanding, need to have exactly the same number of mesh vertices for morphs as the G8 Bases. Basically, I would need to remove a lot of detail from the look by smoothing out the toenails and toe shapes. I see that some other users have sucessfully created amputee morphs, and I assume they may have faced similar challenges.

My thought is to expand out the toes and toenails mesh into one large blob in Blender, Maya, or Zbrush, then sculpt it down into a smooth foot shape. Does anyone have any suggestions on this for this or different directions to take (Fit to or Geografting?), or how the amputee morphs were created? One mistake and I know the morph will not import back in correctly from Blender. lol

Thanks!!

download (1).jpg
1500 x 1500 - 72K

Comments

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

Maybe import two copies of the base mesh into Blender and anly sculpt on one of them.  Use a combination of the Elastic Deform and Smooth Brushes to sculpt until it's the same shape as the original mesh.

As long as you don't check the Dynotopo Box you should have no problems.

• KL123KL123 Posts: 1

I think that will be the way to go. I will give it a try.

Thanks!

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

Spacious said:

Maybe import two copies of the base mesh into Blender and anly sculpt on one of them.  Use a combination of the Elastic Deform and Smooth Brushes to sculpt until it's the same shape as the original mesh.

As long as you don't check the Dynotopo Box you should have no problems.

I once tried to use the Smooth brush and other sculpt tools to make stockings or socks from the feet and toes Base Mesh, but due to the very complicated geometry of the nails all I was able to sculpt was a nice sharp claws morph! Better try the Geograft option or use existing stockings with a skin texture.

• KainjyKainjy Posts: 812
    Vertex number must be the same but no one tell you that you can collapse (not welding ) all vertices in a point. You'll have many coincident vertices.. so avoid add smoothing in DAZ to don't have issues.
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,955

It  is not just vertex number that must remain the same for a morph. The vertex order must also be identical.

Kainjy said:

Vertex number must be the same but no one tell you that you can collapse (not welding ) all vertices in a point. You'll have many coincident vertices.. so avoid add smoothing in DAZ to don't have issues.

Thank you for the collapse vertices solution, I did not think about it!

barbult said:

It  is not just vertex number that must remain the same for a morph. The vertex order must also be identical.

You're right, "Geometry did not match, failed to create morph."

edited April 2022

Instead of collapsing the toes vertices, I scaled them down to .001, Vertex order remains. Just a quick made morph:

foot morph.png
    936 x 648 - 222K
    foot morph_2.png
    1235 x 751 - 257K
    Post edited by rosseliani on