Hair - the scalp seems to poke through the skin

Hi there!

I have a problem with Layla Hair by AprilYSH. When I render an image with that hair applied to a figure the hair "pokes through" the forehead. I have tried with different hair and the poke through disappeares. My best guess is that it is the scalp part of the hair but the problem remains even when I set the opacity to zero. I tried with another hair from the same vendor and got the same problem (to be clear, I am not saying that the problem is with the vendor or product but rather my understanding of the program :-)).

If anyone knows anything about this I am grateful for any help! I have attached a spot render for reference.

scalp.png
942 x 864 - 116K

Comments

• Joe2018Joe2018 Posts: 249

See this Thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/537141/solved-strange-black-lines-on-forehead-location-varies-with-pose-expression#latest

From this Thread: Try changing Render Settings -> Optimization -> Instancing Optimization from "Auto" (the default) to "Speed"

For me that works in 99,9%

• Thanks! I folowed the thread and changing th Instancing Optimization to Memory solved half the problem. Adjusting the hairline to 1 solved the rest. Weird but great.

Thanks again for your help.

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,388

Just to chime in with my own personal fix...

With OOT Hair (my personal fav) whenever I apply it to the character, the very first thing I do is go to the adjustments dial and take it up to 16%. That seems to be the magic number to prevent skull cap poke through. It's not a flaw in OOT's or anyones "hair craft" I don't think. It's probably got more to do with the variety of character head shapes.

• I have the same problem every now and then. Like DDCreate I adjust the forhead or size dials to fit the hair better. To see how it fits easier (where the hairline is colliding with the forehead) I switch the Viewport view to Smooth Shaded. Doing so makes the hair cap visible and so it's much easier to determine when you've sized it properly.