Question about Licenses

I apologize if this was already answered in a previous discussion because I have been looking through the forum but couldn't find anything.  I have recently been looking into software that I could use with Blender to create characters with realtime clothing and hair.  I have also made sure to look into other information about this program, such as licenses and other stuff; and a question came to mind.  I have read that you need to purchase an interactive license if you plan to use 3D content that we get from the store.  If I were to use Blender to create my characters and use Daz Studio to help with the clothing and hair simulation, would I need to get a license to be able to use my them in games and stuff?

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,724

Daz assets, or parts of them are meant to be used in renders, animations, and other "personal" uses, meaning not posted or shared. The interactive licenses are there for those wanting to use Daz assets in an original 3d game, meaning they can't be used for game mods to existing games, either whole or in parts.

So if your goal is to create an original 3D game by using parts of Daz assets with other parts in Blender, you would need an interactive license for each part you used from Daz.

If your goal is to use parts of Daz assets on other figures in blender to share or post online, say the XPS community, or for game mods, that is not allowed, license or not.

Hope that helps..

• If the content is all your own work, not using any of the Daz content (even as a source of rigging via the Transfer Utility) then you would not need any additional license. If you did use any Daz store content in any capacity then the content created from that would be bound by the Daz EULA, including the need for an Interactive License for a game or app that included 3D data or textures.

• Thanks for the replies, FSMCDesigns and Richard Haseltine.  My intention would be to create 3D characters to use as assets for original games I wanna make in the future, not for mods.  I just wanna ask to make sure I understood things correctly.

Let's say I used Blender to create a 3D character, including clothing and hair, for the game I wanna make.  I then transfer the Blender-made character model to Daz Studio and use only its built-in tools (which I consider as Daz assets) to modify parts of the model - clothes, hair, and other stuff.  I would then transfer the modified model back to Blender in order to rig it and other stuff.  In order to be able use each of the finished models for my original game, I would need to purchase an interactive license for each of them.  Am I understanding this correctly?

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,072

nicholaspatton021991 said:

Thanks for the replies, FSMCDesigns and Richard Haseltine.  My intention would be to create 3D characters to use as assets for original games I wanna make in the future, not for mods.  I just wanna ask to make sure I understood things correctly.

Let's say I used Blender to create a 3D character, including clothing and hair, for the game I wanna make.  I then transfer the Blender-made character model to Daz Studio and use only its built-in tools (which I consider as Daz assets) to modify parts of the model - clothes, hair, and other stuff.  I would then transfer the modified model back to Blender in order to rig it and other stuff.  In order to be able use each of the finished models for my original game, I would need to purchase an interactive license for each of them.  Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes, you would need to buy the interactive licenses of everything you have used in this case (clothing, skins, props, accessories, hairs, characters and/or morphs).

• So that means I need to get multiple licenses for the same character because of the individual parts of it I'll make in Daz Studio or just one?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,476
    edited April 2022

You would need a license for each product used in creating the character - or characters, you onyl need the license once even if the product is used several times in the game.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • So, even if I made everything in Blender for my character (body, clothes, hair, textures, etc.) and use Daz Studio's dForce to give my character's clothing & hair a more realistic simulation before importing it back to Blender for finishing touches, I would still need to purchase an interactive license for dForce if I wanna use the character in any of my games?

• No, you need Interactive Licenses for the products you use - e.g. Genesis 8 Starter Essentials - if you don't use any then you don't need to buy any Interactive Licenses.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

There's no point to an interactive license for dForce anyway, since it's impossible to use outside DS. 

• Thanks for the info.  That was the point I was confused about. I didn't know if I could use Blender-made models I edit in Daz Studio without using downloaded assets from the store in games

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,102

Blender has its own physics simulations, exporting to Daz just for dforce would be a waste of time, IMO.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Thanks for the info.  That was the point I was confused about. I didn't know if I could use Blender-made models I edit in Daz Studio without using downloaded assets from the store in games

It's when you talk about "editing" in DS that gets us confused. 

• That is true it would be a waste to only use Daz Studio for that.  I was only mentioning dForce because I am still new to everything about the program and don't know what every tool in it.  I plan on using the tools built into Daz Studio to improve character models' quality so they can look their best for when I use them in my games.

• PerttiA said:

Thanks for the info.  That was the point I was confused about. I didn't know if I could use Blender-made models I edit in Daz Studio without using downloaded assets from the store in games

It's when you talk about "editing" in DS that gets us confused. 

Sorry about using the word in a confusing way.  With how my mind connects some words, I consider the use of Daz Studio's tools to improve the quality of my entirely Blender-made character as to mean that word.