Fitting bracelets, rings and earrings

alaltaccalaltacc Posts: 151
edited April 2022 in New Users

I've been working on a few sets of jewelry consisting of bracelets, rings and earrings. None of them have moving parts, so no "bones" or "joints" in the original models that came out of Blender, only rigid objects.

I've been able to fit all of them perfectly into the G8F figure and parent them to the proper body part (for example, "left forearm twist" for the left arm bracelet) and they behave perfectly when the figure is moved, the arm is twisted, rotated, etc. In short, all is working perfectly well and I would be completely satisfied if it was an item for personal use only. It's working, looking good and follow the figure.

On the other hand, this metod "hides" the object "inside" the bones tree (nodes) of the figure (in the example, under the "left forearm twist" node) and, as far as I could see from the products I have, the "standard" is different: to have the bracelet (or whatever else) attached to the figure but appearing outside the figure "bones tree". To to this, they are "fitted" to the figure using this option inside their properties. I've tried to follow a few instructions (mostly for hair) and adapt them, but I've had no luck yet... I've even been able to make the "fit to" property appear, converting the "prop" to a "figure/wearable" and attaching it to the proper body part, but then it does not follow the figure movements nor load in the right place.

So, after this long introduction, my questions are:

1) How do a go from an imported Collada file to a fitted bracelet (for example), with its own node (outside of the figure's nodes tree), properly fitted to the figure and following its movements?

2) Another option would be to use my already fitted, working object (that is now under the "left forearm twist" bone) and just make it appear in its own node. Is there a way?

3) Are there any advantages/disadvantages to each of these options?

4) BONUS QUESTION! cheeky Extra thanks if you can also point me in the direction of some tutorial, instructions, etc, to create the sliders to allow the object to fit other slightly different figures (with smaller arms, etc).

Please note that I've tried to search the forums and the (outdated and scarced) official documentation, but I couldn't make it work. Better documentation is something WAY past due in Daz, in my opinion.

Thanks in advance!

Post edited by alaltacc on

Comments

• KainjyKainjy Posts: 812

You must use Transfer Utility like you already did to create the Fit To.

The problem is that Transfer Utility projects weightmaps automatically and many times it's not OK for your use.
    You must edit the bracelets, rings and earrings weightmaps.

The left earring must be filled with a weightmap of value 1 relative to left ear joint. Same for the right earring (right ear joint), bracelets (neck joint) and rings.  

Pratically It's the operation showed in this video: https://youtu.be/Tbhf7cwq9hM to correct Transfer Utility issues.

• alaltaccalaltacc Posts: 151

Thank you @Kainjy ! He didn't explain in the video that the imported file had to be in the exact position when imported, but I figured it out and it worked! Thanks a lot! What Daz unfortunately lack in documentation is compensated by its community!

I'll write a small tutorial (text with screenshots) so I don't forget the steps I did. I'll write down everything, from exporting the model to import into Blender (my case), fitting the wearable there, exporting the wearable back, and then continuing from the point the video starts. I would like to share it here. Is there a place to do this other than the forums?

And about the sliders to adapt to other models, can you point me in the direction of some learning material about how to do that?

Thanks again! :-)

• KainjyKainjy Posts: 812

You can create a new discussion in the forum where you post your path.
    For DAZ I know only this blog/social where you can also ask for support: https://www.digitalartlive.studio/topics

If you want to share files (video, pdf, models, etc...) you can do on Renderosity (free stuff) or ShareCG where you can share DAZ materials.

The sliders are morphs: online you can find many tutorial (like this: https://youtu.be/Q5VVeFCW9Zg). In the video the process is for a character, but you can also make for clothing, hair, etc..