PC shutting down during renders

My pc is Windows 10, GPU is Nvidia 3070.  My Daz software is on a 2TB disk with 1.58 TB free - and has developed a taste, recently, for shutting down my pc during renders.  I get the message "Your computer has encountered a problem and needs to restart."  and that's precisely what it does.

Most of my assets are on other drives within the same machine, so it can't be a lack of RAM.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Comments

• Overheating? A restart is usually either driver or hardware related.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

johnbuckeridge said:

Most of my assets are on other drives within the same machine, so it can't be a lack of RAM.

Location of your assets has nothing to do with RAM, how much RAM do you have installed? 

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

Could be a lack of RAM, as long as we don't know how much RAM you have. IMO 24 Gb RAM is the minimum to manage your system and a RTX 3070 wich has 8 Gb of VRAM (and a rendering task that uses it).

Any other advice?

• rosseliani said:

Could be a lack of RAM, as long as we don't know how much RAM you have. IMO 24 Gb RAM is the minimum to manage your system and a RTX 3070 wich has 8 Gb of VRAM (and a rendering task that uses it).

Any other advice?

Thanks - Total RAM is approx 4.5 TB, of which there's 2.82 TB of free space. 

• Richard Haseltine said:

Overheating? A restart is usually either driver or hardware related.

Thanks - yes, it worked better this morning after a 'night's sleep'.  Still, only been having this problem recently, so it makes me wonder what's new. 

johnbuckeridge said:

rosseliani said:

Any other advice?

That is not how much RAM your computer has, storage space is not RAM

I would guess, the amount of installed RAM on your computer is 8GB, 16GB or 32GB, which is it? 

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374
    edited April 2022

johnbuckeridge said:

rosseliani said:

Any other advice?

I think you are confusing RAM with disk space. Your 4.5 TB are disk space, not RAM.

Powerful professional workstations can handle 256 GB of RAM, and high end gaming or studio gears are limited to 128 Gb of RAM.

For example, I have a laptop with 16 GB of RAM, and a powerful desktop machine with 96 GB of RAM.

Have a nice day!

RAM.jpg
    962 x 623 - 68K
    Post edited by rosseliani on
  • ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 513

There is a program called WhoCrashed, made by a company called Resplendence that will analyze the PC crash dumps and help point you at the offending driver or hardware. Their home edition is free

It is the first listing on Google when you search for WhoCrashed.

• PerttiA said:

johnbuckeridge said:

rosseliani said:

Any other advice?

I would guess, the amount of installed RAM on your computer is 8GB, 16GB or 32GB, which is it? 

Okay, so that's 16GB.  

• rosseliani said:

johnbuckeridge said:

rosseliani said:

Any other advice?

I think you are confusing RAM with disk space. Your 4.5 TB are disk space, not RAM.

Powerful professional workstations can handle 256 GB of RAM, and high end gaming or studio gears are limited to 128 Gb of RAM.

For example, I have a laptop with 16 GB of RAM, and a powerful desktop machine with 96 GB of RAM.

Have a nice day!

Cheers, you too. smiley

• Chezjuan said:

There is a program called WhoCrashed, made by a company called Resplendence that will analyze the PC crash dumps and help point you at the offending driver or hardware. Their home edition is free

It is the first listing on Google when you search for WhoCrashed.

That's brilliant, Chezjuan, I'll give it a go. :) 

• johnbuckeridge said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Overheating? A restart is usually either driver or hardware related.

Thanks - yes, it worked better this morning after a 'night's sleep'.  Still, only been having this problem recently, so it makes me wonder what's new. 

Okay, definitely not overheating.  It just did it again, less than 30 mins after I switched on.   

johnbuckeridge said:

PerttiA said:

johnbuckeridge said:

rosseliani said:

Any other advice?

Okay, so that's 16GB.  

Ok, how big is your pagefile (Pagefile.sys)?

If that is the same size as your RAM, you are probably running out of both.

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 975

Hmmm ... this may not be your issue, but sometimes a power supply unit (PSU) that is underpowered or giving out can cause this also. Some functions with Daz Studio, like the de-noiser, seem to take a big chunk of extra power when it kicks in.

Oh ... I would also recommend backing up all your data while you are at it in case a disk drive is giving out [there are a number of hardware issues that can cause a shutdown - but the risk of losing data is real].

• PerttiA said:

johnbuckeridge said:

PerttiA said:

johnbuckeridge said:

rosseliani said:

Any other advice?

Okay, so that's 16GB.  

So, pagefile.sys isn't showing a GB size, but directly above it is page file space, which stands at 14GB.  (Total virtual memory is 29.9GB of which 24.4GB is available.) 

• 3141592654 said:

Hmmm ... this may not be your issue, but sometimes a power supply unit (PSU) that is underpowered or giving out can cause this also. Some functions with Daz Studio, like the de-noiser, seem to take a big chunk of extra power when it kicks in.

Oh ... I would also recommend backing up all your data while you are at it in case a disk drive is giving out [there are a number of hardware issues that can cause a shutdown - but the risk of losing data is real].

Thank you, will do so. 

johnbuckeridge said:

PerttiA said:

So, pagefile.sys isn't showing a GB size, but directly above it is page file space, which stands at 14GB.  (Total virtual memory is 29.9GB of which 24.4GB is available.) 

You need to a) install more RAM or b) increase the size of your virtual memory to 32GB or more 

• PerttiA said:

johnbuckeridge said:

PerttiA said:

You need to a) install more RAM or b) increase the size of your virtual memory to 32GB or more 

Yes, RAM I think is the way to go.   Thank you, doctor.  :)