Problems With DS4

melaniemelanie Posts: 779
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I have two problems:

1. The Elven Warrior costume in the Wardrobe Menu issue was fixed with the new update, however, since I installed the fix for that, I am now not able to use any of the other wardrobe items. I double click or drag them into my scene and nothing happens. The clothing items don't come into my scene. Did the Elven Warrior fix somehow mess up the rest of the clothing?

2. If I save a scene that I'm working on, I can see the file in the folder, but if I click on it to reopen it and continue working on it later, I get an error message that some of the items in the scene cannot be found and none of the items I had loaded in my scene come in. Everything I used was in DAZ Studio, but it appears they're not saving propertly. I'm using Save As and selecting Scene. When I reopen it later, my character, the clothings, hair, etc. are not there. It opens a blank scene. That's been happening for quite some time now, since before the costume fix.

I'm getting frustrated.

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

What version of DAZ Studio are you running?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,673
    edited December 1969

Nothing happening when you double-click what appears to be a piece of clothing usually means you are double-clicking a preset or pose of some kind - it doesn't give an error, because there is something there and selected for it to work on, but it doesn't do anything as it can't find the settings it's meant to change. You can test this by clicking on an empty area of the viewport, so that nothing is selected, then trying the clothing again - if it's what I think you will then get an error message.

• melaniemelanie Posts: 779
    edited December 1969

Everything worked normally up until just a couple of days ago, when I installed the Elven Warrior fix. I was able to bring in any of the clothing just fine. Now I can't. It's like the other items aren't there, even though they show in the menu. I have Genesis selected and when I try to bring in clothing, nothing appears. I'm using DS4 Pro, the version currently being offered at DAZ. It worked perfectly until a day or two ago. I'm doing the same thing I've always done, yet it's not working. I can't figure out what's wrong. Would reinstalling the program make a difference?

edited December 1969

Have you tried double-clicking on a piece of clothing with nothing selected?

edited December 1969

Yes, I've tried both ways. Nothing works.

edited December 1969

And you didn't get an error message when nothing was selected? OK, try loading an item, then go to Help>Troubleshooting>View logfile and scroll right to the end - what does it say when it tried loading the file, if anything?

edited December 1969

Here's what it says:

Importing 01-Jacket_DC.pz2 ...
    Time to load file: 79.5442 ms
    Imported: 01-Jacket_DC.pz2
    Building Scene...
    File loaded in 0 min 0.5 sec.
    Loaded file: 01-Jacket_DC.pz2

If the item is there, it's invisible. Where is it going if not into my scene?

edited December 1969

I don't know why you aren't getting an error when you try that with nothing selected, as I thought it's a mat file (well, a pose file and given the context and name I'm pretty sure it will be a materials setting) which doesn't load a new object but chnages the settings for the current object - if it finds the needed settings, which it won't for a base Genesis. I don't know where you are looking, but if it's in the Pose library under Poser formats you need to look at teh Figure library just above to find the actual clothing models - if it's in categories you may need to look in the parent folder of the current folder.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

That looks like it might be a Poser Dynamic Clothing item?

edited December 1969

I think it's the Magus clothing, that comes with DS4 in DS format - butt hat shouldn't include a pz2 file usually.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

It is the Magus Jacket, and I have two files, one is just called Jacket.DUF, and the other is in Materials and is called 01-Jacket_DC.DUF, but I can't see why there would be a PZ2 either? But if I double click on the Material file (01-Jacket_DC.DUF), there is no error generated, just a brief glimpse of a screen, and no error in the log either.

edited December 1969

It is the jacket that comes with DS4 for Genesis. I was just using that as an example to show that none of the stock wardrobe items that come preloaded with DAZ Studio aren't working. When I try to install it, it does show a very brief glimpse of a little dialog box, but it disappears before I can see what it says. The object does not appear in my scene. The odd thing is, it used to work just fine until I reinstalled the Elven Warrior costume after the file had been fixed. I don't know if this is what is affecting it now.

edited December 1969

The file that you should be trying to load is just the file called 'Jacket' with no '01-' in front of it. It sounds as if you are trying to load the texture for the jacket, and there will be no error generated if something in the scene is selected.

My Magus jacket is in the Content Library in DAZ Studio Formats > My Library > Psople > Genesis > Clothing > Magus. Try loading it from there.

edited December 1969

The only place I've ever found the clothing is in Wardrobe. The People folder only has Genesis and no subfolders. I was able to use those clothing items just fine by getting them in Wardrobe before. I'm not doing anything different from what I've always done, yet they now don't work. This is not my first experience with DS4. I've been using these things since this version first came out, but as I mentioned above, this glitch only started happening since I installed the fix for the Elven costume, this past weekend.

edited December 1969

Are you looking in the Content Library tab? Window > Tabs > Content Library if it is not already visible, then use the path that I posted. My elven clothing is also in the People > Genesis folder, has that all gone too?

I cannot see how installing a fix for another priduct could delete all of your genesis content. If you reinstall DS4, then all of the Genesis content that comes with it will be re-installed, but nothing else should be touched by the installer.

edited December 1969

Yes, in the content library under Wardrobe. They show in the library, the icons are there, but when I select them they don't come in. Elven comes in just fine, as does the Day Dreamer outfit. It's only the items that came with the program that don't work anymore. Not that those items are essential. I only discovered this when I tried to use one of them. I'm ready to give up on this. Maybe it will straighten out eventually if the program is updated. Poser is a lot easier to use than DAZ Studio, so I'll probably be using that more often, anyway. Thanks fo trying to help.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

melanie said:

Are you looking in the Content Library tab?

Yes, in the content library under Wardrobe.

Wardrobe is in the Smart Content tab, not the Content Library tab. Smart Content lists content via the metadata database, not what is actually in the folders, Content Library actually looks at the folders and files and lists them directly, which is why it is the best option for checking if files are where they are supposed to be.

edited December 1969

Good news! I got into DAZ Studio just a little while ago and now everything seems to be working normally. I don't know if our modem has anything to do with it, but we had to replace the modem. Our old one finally died. I hadn't tried using DS4 since Tuesday, when we replaced our modem. I don't know why a modem would interfere with software, but whatever happened, my problem loading the clothing items seems to have been healed.

Thanks, everyone, for contributing suggestions to help.