Hardware question: OS drive size for a new build?

Hello, friends!! I'm new to rendering (started back in September) but I've reached the point where it makes sense to get a dedicated rendering machine. While I'm not necessarily opposed to building one myself, it doesn't look like (at least at this stage) there some significant benefit to me going that route as opposed to buying a complete rig whose components I specify.

Which brings me to my question on OS drive size: how much is "too much" here? Is it always better to get a lots of space? Should the "lots of space" goal be more the focus of the storage drive/s? I only intend to use this PC for rendering (not gaming or streaming) and an occasional video edit. It will be running maybe a handful of software packages (the usual suspects for rendering work). Would there be any point of getting a drive with a TB (or more)of space? It doesn't appear to dramatically impact the cost of the overall build but would it just be a waste?

Insight??

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

You don't want to install anything but the OS and maybe the programs on your C-drive and 1TB is more than enough for that.

Get additional drives for the content and whatever stuff you have, but do not save them on the same drive with the OS.
    A good choice for DAZ content is an external 4TB USB drive that is powered by the USB cable (no extermal power source)

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

It's never a bad idea to have more storage on your root drive, but it IS a bad idea to keep your content on that drive.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,724

PerttiA said:

You don't want to install anything but the OS and maybe the programs on your C-drive and 1TB is more than enough for that.

Get additional drives for the content and whatever stuff you have, but do not save them on the same drive with the OS.
    A good choice for DAZ content is an external 4TB USB drive that is powered by the USB cable (no extermal power source)

Why is that? I have always had my DS install and content on my main drive (non SSD) and have never had any issues.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

FSMCDesigns said:

PerttiA said:

Why is that? I have always had my DS install and content on my main drive (non SSD) and have never had any issues.

The size of programs is relatively fixed, while the size of your content library could keep expanding to infinity.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,724

Gordig said:

FSMCDesigns said:

PerttiA said:

The size of programs is relatively fixed, while the size of your content library could keep expanding to infinity.

If it is a size issue, I have a 4 tb drive with 2 DS libraries (DIM and non Daz content) and one big poser content library, so I am good for awhile. I also have 2, 4 TB backup drives installed with plenty of room on them.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

FSMCDesigns said:

PerttiA said:

When the file system develops a problem, the problem is usually on the OS-drive, sometimes severe enough that the files can only be recovered with a recovery program on a working computer - When one has done recovery of the important files from that mess, one never wants to do it again.

• This is all fantastic insight and hugely helpful! Thank you all so much!

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588
    edited May 2022

I also chose 1TB. The fastest NVME I could afford.

It's also the place I point all the individual program cache and temp drives, if they allow it, to make full use of that speed.

Post edited by prixat on