What pc upgrade will improve my DAZ Studio speed the most

namanixnamanix Posts: 4

I know a GPU is almost the only answer when it comes to iRay. But that's not what I'm asking for.

I'm looking for a pc upgrade that will speed up DAZ Studio itself. So for example

1) I move my camera. Daz Studio is thinking. "Preparing scene" and then the preview render starts. How can I improve the steps before the preview render starting?
2) Loading a scene. Waiting.... Waiting.... And then the preview render starts. Same question as above.

So in short. How do I improve the workability of the software. Not so much the render speed. 

My pc currently
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 super
Ram: 32GB 3200mhz speed. Not sure about the DDR type. I thought DDR4
HDD's: 1 nvme for windows (1tb), A dedicated 1 tb normal ssd for my DAZ assets, and 2 more 1tb ssd's for other things.

I hope to get some insight on this!

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

From your post, it sounds like the best way to speed up DS is to not keep Iray preview on all the time.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588
    edited May 2022

Check the 'Draw Settings' for the preview: (see attachment)

See if turning the delay Off makes a difference. (obviously, if your scene is complex or big then there's nothing any setting can do to speed it up.)

As for loading times, one cause that greatly affects me is any use of LIE images, (for dirt, scars, tattoos etc.) even the smallest tattoo turns load times into minutes instead of 10 or 20 seconds. I don't think there's anything we can do about it. At least it doesn't affect general use once it's finally loaded.

Have you moved Studio's temp file to your fastest drive?

Screenshot 2022-05-28 123146.png
    953 x 686 - 114K
    Post edited by prixat on
  • jmtbankjmtbank Posts: 175

1) Hide the things in the scene first you don't need previewed.  Such as sorting the lighting out on a scene before you even load a genesis figure.  Or if you are working with iray decals, the oposite - hide everything bar the 1 figure.   Or lower sub d if sorting lighting out on a figure, but don't need fine detail.

2) Avoid including things in the scene that take up too much memory before saving.  Not usually too much wiggle room here.  But occasionally some hair types can take more space than half of the rest of the scene combined.  If you find an offending item, you could just delete it before saving then just redo that one item after loading the scene each time.

• superlativecgsuperlativecg Posts: 137

Using denoise filters speeds up the rendering.