Clueless on some DAZ shop figure genres

FedermannFedermann Posts: 111
edited May 2022 in New Users

Clueless on some DAZ shop figure genres

This question might cause a bit of eye rolling but I have to plead ignoramus on this one: I am clueless on some of the DAZ shop figure/character genres. Basically, I can easily recognize Manga style Anime, Photorealistic and Toon. I just bought Sakura 8 Pro bundle and that clearly is Manga (not for the purists I am sure) like I can remember it.  Being more than a bit too impulsive on many purchases I am stuck with figures like Aiko 8, Kanade 8 of which I don’t know what genre they represent and I have already established you really can’t mix genres (like Kanade 8 and Sakura 8), although I am sure you could play a little with shape fusion sliders on behalf of your photorealistic figures which I haven’t yet explored in full. It doesn't look like you can 'mangafy' Kanade 8 to be compatible with Sakura 8.

1. What is the graphic genre domain of Aiko 8, Kanade 8 etc.? Could they be bona fide Anime (but quite different from Manga style)?
  2. What is the deal with Teen Kaylee 8, quite a few like her in the shop, clearly not very photorealistic?
  3. Is Rynne 8 a representative of Aiko 8 genre or does she belong to a different genre?
  4. Especially ‘3d-universe’ has characters with a (less than) semi-photorealistic look like Lincoln, Indiana, Jordan, London and Heidi; 'Western-stylized cartoon character' is mentioned, is that indeed a niche they represent, a subset/subcategory of toon?
  5. Is there a(n) (authoritative) list of genres?

Obviously if these questions are answered in a different thread or some authoritative resource I would be most happy to be pointed in that direction!

Thx y’all

Post edited by Federmann on

Comments

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 911
    edited May 2022

As far as I know, Aiko and Kanade 8 (and the earlier Aikos and Hiros) are meant to be anime-ish, more or less. Personally, the last two Aikos and Kanade remind me more of Final Fantasy characters with their stylized, semi-realistic look, while Sakura is more anime/manga in the sense of looking like the artwork we associate with those genres.

Teen Kaylee 8, Teen Josie 8, Rynne 8, Mika 8, and... quite a few others... are, as far as I know, all created by the artist Thorne, and Thorne has a fairly distinct semi-realistic style. I generally think of anything that isn't cartoony but still leans more toward non-realism as 'stylized,' and I just look for the appearance that fits in with whatever sort of art I'm setting up that day. That's what I'd call Kaylee and Rynne and those similar to them.

Probably the only "official" list of genres you'll find will be the one used on the site. If you click on the store page, go to People and Wearables, and look on the left-hand side of the page, there is a section labeled Genre. If you open that, you can see the categories the items in the store are sorted into.

Screenshot 2022-05-29 102108.jpg
    911 x 1203 - 610K
    Post edited by Quixotry on
  • FedermannFedermann Posts: 111

Thanks for your feedback Quixotry, I can't help analyzing/categorizing. I must have used DAZ genre filter a couple of times but every genre is 'hopelessly' broad, containing many items that are also part of other genres (which we can all understand given this artistic realm, but quite a few choices are wildly arbitrary, the anime genre listing being imo a case in point. As a newbie, I guess I have to develop a feeling for these genre issues and their boundaries or lack of them. Love your shop btw, 'own' several products already, waiting for good deals on the tuts and some figures ... ok, couldn't resist buying QX Kana just now, a quite unique character!

DAZ's genres:

1. Anime
    2. Contemporary
    3. Eastern
    4. Egyptian
    5. Fantasy
    6. Gothic
    7. High Seas
    8. Historical
    9. Horror
    10. Sci-Fi
    11. Staff Picks
    12. Steampunk/Victorian
    13. Super Heroes
    14. Toon
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

Federmann said:

1. What is the graphic genre domain of Aiko 8, Kanade 8 etc.? Could they be bona fide Anime (but quite different from Manga style)?

It's important to keep in mind that there is no one, definitive anime/manga style, and it encompasses wildly different styles like Astro Boy:

and Berserk:

There are certainly broad stylistic strokes, but Aiko, Sakura and Kanade could all be comfortably categorized as anime/manga if those are the style you're going for.

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

Federmann said:

Especially ‘3d-universe’ has characters with a (less than) semi-photorealistic look like Lincoln, Indiana, Jordan, London and Heidi; 'Western-stylized cartoon character' is mentioned, is that indeed a niche they represent, a subset/subcategory of toon?​

I couldn't name a genre or style for the 3D Universe characters.
    They make me think of the famous Belgian children's series "Martine, 100 millions of albums were sold between 1954 and 2014) whose covers have been the subject of so many funny or really trashy parodies (at least in French).
    French students had created a site with a "Martine cover generator" which had almost 1 million entries in 1 month. They then closed the site at the request of the publisher.
    I couldn't resist showing an example including a parody I found on the net. (first image).
    The only description of Marcel Marlier's style that I have found is "Naive realism" which could apply to 3D Universe characters.

BTW I like 3d Universe characters and my way to reduce their "toonish" style is : reduce the eyes and width size, reduce the lips thickness, reduce the cheeks volume and reduce the cranium size. (second image is 3D Universe London before and after my settings).

Hands and feet are sometimes oversized on 3D Universe characters, IE London's feet, Indiana's hands and feet...).

Have a nice day!

Martine_book_001.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    2xLondon.png
    1824 x 1268 - 3M

Gordig said:

Federmann said:

It's important to keep in mind that there is no one, definitive anime/manga style, and it encompasses wildly different styles like Astro Boy:

and Berserk:

There are certainly broad stylistic strokes, but Aiko, Sakura and Kanade could all be comfortably categorized as anime/manga if those are the style you're going for.

You're right. I am out of touch (and without the good hair materials) but I now realize the diversity of the genre. I am only interested in making little genre vignettes but I don't want things to clash. Anyway, one more insta follower for you, cool stuff and ideas you've got there!

edited May 2022

rosseliani said:

Federmann said:

Especially ‘3d-universe’ has characters with a (less than) semi-photorealistic look like Lincoln, Indiana, Jordan, London and Heidi; 'Western-stylized cartoon character' is mentioned, is that indeed a niche they represent, a subset/subcategory of toon?​

I couldn't name a genre or style for the 3D Universe characters.
    They make me think of the famous Belgian children's series "Martine, 100 millions of albums were sold between 1954 and 2014) whose covers have been the subject of so many funny or really trashy parodies (at least in French).
    French students had created a site with a "Martine cover generator" which had almost 1 million entries in 1 month. They then closed the site at the request of the publisher.
    I couldn't resist showing an example including a parody I found on the net. (first image).
    The only description of Marcel Marlier's style that I have found is "Naive realism" which could apply to 3D Universe characters.

BTW I like 3d Universe characters and my way to reduce their "toonish" style is : reduce the eyes and width size, reduce the lips thickness, reduce the cheeks volume and reduce the cranium size. (second image is 3D Universe London before and after my settings).

Hands and feet are sometimes oversized on 3D Universe characters, IE London's feet, Indiana's hands and feet...).

Have a nice day!

Cool stuff. The parody most def was good for a chuckle, always loved 'pastiche' humor (like x-rated Tintin stuff a while back) even when it is considered 'facile'. Interesting to see how you can un-3DUniverse those distinct  characters. Because of the quaint/singular esthetic I don't think I have bought any 3D Universe character yet, but I can totally dig that as a character family it provides quite a platform. First challenge for me is to change the starkly disappointing "Teen Kaylee 8" into something I can use, obviously starting with the map and those eyes but then like you did, explore the world of sliders.

Post edited by Federmann on