Keep Daz Content Downloads?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,623

Are these files needed once an item has been installed?  Or can we trash and save some drive space?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

Depends on your situation. I keep all my downloads, because internet bandwidth costs more than hard drive space, and sometimes a product that isn't working just needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled to work properly. If I've deleted the installer, I have to redone load it, which is rather not do. 

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 975

What Gordig said. Also, in the long term, you will eventually get a new computer or have a malfunction or some other issue that requires installing or re-installing everything. It is nice to have your files already saved so you do not have to download them again.

ALSO, the program files 9such as all files related to DS 4.15) should be kept for each version ... when you upgrade to a new one, if you have problems, it makes it so much easier to revert to an earlier version.

Yes, they are worth saving.

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,623

Thanks. I appreciate it. I may store them on another drive...get them off my startup drive.

• FedermannFedermann Posts: 111

Because I was running out of space on my main DAZ drive, I did move tons of files in my <drive letter>:\DAZ3D\Applications\Data\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Downloads directory to an external drive. Deleting them is tempting because I would expect DAZ to keep the installers available for DL and re-install, but because you can't be 100% sure about that and because of possible version issues (as suggested above) you might as well back them up. Soon enough I will have to buy a 2 Tb SSD for my DAZ drive because I am always mere megabytes away from it being entirely full (with impulsively bought stuff on sale...). Having DAZ on a startup or system drive always looked like a bad idea to me even in my first few weeks on DAZ so I quickly got down changing paths in the DAZ config (having already installed the main program on a non-system drive). One of the poorly, poorly programmed face to character programs forced me to have one of the main folders configured back to the system drive (otherwise the plugin would crash!), I'll do a sym link of sorts to fix this abomination soon.

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,623

Thanks. I thought it fine to have the Daz program on the startup SSD, but have started adding content to another drive. One resulting problems is that content is not on two different drives. I dedicated ssd for content is perhaps the ideal.