Using DAZ/3D figures ‘as is’ in (semi-)professional 3D productions?

FedermannFedermann Posts: 111

Using DAZ/3D figures ‘as is’ in (semi-)professional 3D productions?

Maybe a case of running before I can walk In DAZ but I would like to know all the same...

In the world of contemporary musical production using samples from sample packs and stock presets for VST synthesizer instruments ‘as is’ (i.e. without seriously tweaking/modifying them) is generally frowned upon although there are a few famous sample pack riffs and 'factory' synth sounds etc. that have been used (pretty much unmodified) in chart hits.

Is there a similar ‘ethos’ in the (semi-)professional 3D world? Is using a figure from say, the DAZ shop, without serious modification the hallmark of laziness or amateurism or are there perfectly fine applications in 3D productions using those figures (almost) ‘as is’? 

Context: I have only recently discovered the diversity that a plugin like ‘Face transfer’ can bring and that there are tuts (and shape libraries) that focus on tweaking those imported results. Should I just concentrate on that in stead of buying (nearlyevery cute/fancy character on sale? Obviously, I should also mention that I do know about mixing existing character/figure shapes within the “Shaping” tab of DAZ studio, producing some of my personal favorites (but not quite the prettiest!).  

Thx!

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

I would not consider using them "as is" as lazy, if the look is what one is happy with, why not.

Although, if I was just starting with DS, I would be quite picky about buying characters and only buy ones that have something to add to the gene pool, exceptional materials or "one of the kind" geometry - Don't be fooled by the promo renders with clothing, hair, environment and lighting that is not even included with the product. Getting a good set of morph packs instead, would give so much more at least as far as the geometry is concerned.

At one time, I went through all my characters by dialing them on the gray "Genesis 8 Female Dev Load" and checking if the geometry was something I wanted to keep. Ended up removing more than half of them as some had almost no change to the base figure and others were just bad or otherwise unnatural looking.

• FeralFeyFeralFey Posts: 3,924

I know of lots of people who use the Daz figures professionally, as well as semi-professionally straight out of the box. But most will generally blend characters via the sliders and save them as their own character presets so that they can be used over again. I don't consider it "lazy". The point to the Daz 3D market is to allow you, the customer, to create your artistic vision. The content is like your toolbox full of paint and brushes, and so long as you're not re-selling the actual asset (which is a violation of the EULA) you're pretty much free to create artwork, sequential art, and animations as you see fit. (Some IP issues may apply, so double check the EULA based on what you're going to do with your art - there might be a need to buy a license if you're using the figures as 3D prints and such.) 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,724

I do consider it lazy, especially since there are more than enough tools, morphs and skins to create plenty of unique characters, so why stick with the defaults that DAZ created. Ask yourself, do you want people to see your work and go there is victoria 8 or wow, what a great looking character, wonder what software they used.

• FedermannFedermann Posts: 111

PerttiA said:

I would not consider using them "as is" as lazy, if the look is what one is happy with, why not.

Although, if I was just starting with DS, I would be quite picky about buying characters and only buy ones that have something to add to the gene pool, exceptional materials or "one of the kind" geometry - Don't be fooled by the promo renders with clothing, hair, environment and lighting that is not even included with the product. Getting a good set of morph packs instead, would give so much more at least as far as the geometry is concerned.

At one time, I went through all my characters by dialing them on the gray "Genesis 8 Female Dev Load" and checking if the geometry was something I wanted to keep. Ended up removing more than half of them as some had almost no change to the base figure and others were just bad or otherwise unnatural looking.

Thx for these remarks PerttiA. Wish I had a similar prudence and restraint at the beginning of my DAZ journey. I have bought so many items in the past 7 months (must be in the Platinum buyer top-100 by now) and only now I realize not all figures and environments have (any) added value (huge overlap content wise) and some are even (relatively) poorly made (mats especially). Most of the time disappointing figures can be salvaged up to a point by different mats and some slider tweaking but it is barely worth the trouble if you have that many decent chars already. The DAZ shop is a formidable, clever, shiny sales machine and slowly, slowly I realize I should change my approach from 'why not' to 'do I really need...'. I also should transition from randomly buying to purposefully using (and in due course making stuff myself) and also getting to know the vast resources that I already have (and paid for!). I appreciate your suggestion of sticking to morphs of which I have a nice collection by now. As to dialling in a character on the grey "Genesis 8 Female Dev Load" so as to evaluate the geometry, I realize I must experiment with this to appreciate and understand what you mean by this, am I right in assuming if it sticks too close to the original it doesn't have added value or is it the opposite if it doesn't adhere it might be troublesome?

FeralFey said:

I know of lots of people who use the Daz figures professionally, as well as semi-professionally straight out of the box. But most will generally blend characters via the sliders and save them as their own character presets so that they can be used over again. I don't consider it "lazy". The point to the Daz 3D market is to allow you, the customer, to create your artistic vision. The content is like your toolbox full of paint and brushes, and so long as you're not re-selling the actual asset (which is a violation of the EULA) you're pretty much free to create artwork, sequential art, and animations as you see fit. (Some IP issues may apply, so double check the EULA based on what you're going to do with your art - there might be a need to buy a license if you're using the figures as 3D prints and such.) 

I like your pragmatic attitude FeralFey  and indeed the sliders are there for a reason. I have created some nice burly men figures by using those sliders, I have not yet managed to slide something that is aesthetically more attractive than the original. Thanks for the heads up on the IP stuff, at some point when I start creating I'll might have to study the 'fine print'!

FSMCDesigns said:

I do consider it lazy, especially since there are more than enough tools, morphs and skins to create plenty of unique characters, so why stick with the defaults that DAZ created. Ask yourself, do you want people to see your work and go there is victoria 8 or wow, what a great looking character, wonder what software they used.

Can't contest that FSMCDesigns, thanks for your feedback. I recently learned in the area of skins that some users would like to have certain skins from older generations applied to Gen8 and there are indeed tools (or skills) to do so, I wonder what they discovered that made that 'old skin' so precious! As to ('lazily') using unaltered figures in renders, I must confess there is one particular figure that makes me smile every time I see it  used (unmodified) in renders, the 'feast of recognition' accounts for something I guess and it also suggests this character is living the life, moving from one crazy adventure to another! 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Federmann said:

am I right in assuming if it sticks too close to the original it doesn't have added value or is it the opposite if it doesn't adhere it might be troublesome?

When I'm looking at the geometry, I'm looking at what does it add to the gene pool, does it look like a 'normal' and realistic human (if it's supposed to be one). I dial in the head and body also separately to see if, for example the head doesn't sink in to the chest or doesn't look like a beach ball or peanut when used without the related body morphs, or if the body morph makes the torso look unnaturally long compared to the size of the legs/arms, if the gender related protrusions are anywhere reasonable in size and proportions and in general the quality of the changes to the default figure - All these are things that cannot be seen in the promo pictures.

One also must remember that each and every character costs one something, even if there is no monetary compensation required, they still cost storage space and add to the complexity of the base figure platform, creating possible conflicts and adding to the loading time of all characters using that base figure - So, does the character add more value than it costs to have it installed?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,060

I am still getting my head around not using sample packs and VSTi's as issurprise 
    I thought that was the whole idea, to synthesize or sample an instrument so you could do an orchestral performance of your composition without a whole symphonic orchestra etc

you as the composer of the tune are the creative

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am still getting my head around not using sample packs and VSTi's as issurprise 
    I thought that was the whole idea, to synthesize or sample an instrument so you could do an orchestral performance of your composition without a whole symphonic orchestra etc

you as the composer of the tune are the creative

Yes, some sample packs like the orchestral, percussion (like taiko drums) etc. are pretty much intended to be used as is but obviously layered with other sounds. Most of us use vst (or hardware synth) presets as 'place holders' until we have the time, skills and inspiration to tweak or replace them. LoL you know all of this! Maybe my opening 'statement' on presets & such was a bit on the sweeping side, but overnuancing  it from the get go would have made the entire point redundant or annoyingly obtuse.

PerttiA said:

Federmann said:

am I right in assuming if it sticks too close to the original it doesn't have added value or is it the opposite if it doesn't adhere it might be troublesome?

When I'm looking at the geometry, I'm looking at what does it add to the gene pool, does it look like a 'normal' and realistic human (if it's supposed to be one). I dial in the head and body also separately to see if, for example the head doesn't sink in to the chest or doesn't look like a beach ball or peanut when used without the related body morphs, or if the body morph makes the torso look unnaturally long compared to the size of the legs/arms, if the gender related protrusions are anywhere reasonable in size and proportions and in general the quality of the changes to the default figure - All these are things that cannot be seen in the promo pictures.

One also must remember that each and every character costs one something, even if there is no monetary compensation required, they still cost storage space and add to the complexity of the base figure platform, creating possible conflicts and adding to the loading time of all characters using that base figure - So, does the character add more value than it costs to have it installed?

Some good points to ruminate on, you were not kidding about the 'gene pool' thing! I have begun my slider experiment against the base figure, but most figures (surprsingly)  seem to conform with only small permutations on breast size and shoulder widths. Some exceptions were found like having quite long arms. I am not sure the 'gene pool' concept would favor or rather avoid 'diversity' like having longer arms. Having a disproportionally large head is something we do see in 'real life'. I am not attacking your definition or methodology, in fact I feel I have learned something from it, but I haven't yet figured out how I want my own 3d 'gene pool' play ground to look like!